Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-03-2021, 03:11 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #16919
Blown Hydraulic Line Victory.

Today we were headed up northbound I-5 in California and had just successfully descended the Grapevine. Shortly after cruising on level highway our leveling system started showing an error message about service snd retracting the jacks. This same thing happened last year and it ended up being a blown hydraulic return line on the front passenger leveling jack at that time. Last year we called for roadside mobile mechanic as allowed in our coverage. Several hundred $ later our front crossover return line (orange) was replaced with an actual hydraulic line.
Fast forward to today… another alarm on the I-5 and end result is now the orange return line from the drivers side front leveling jack had blown out of the fitting. This time we call Toscana RV in Los Banos to see if they carry replacement hydraulic lines. They refer us to Marfab in Los Banos that is a welding and hardware supply in the Central Valley. They tell us to bring the RV by and they’ll fabricate a replacement hydraulic line. We take a little detour, they fabricate a new line and we’re on our way to Santa Nella just up the highway. We check in and I replace the line in 5 minutes, add 3 quarts of ATF to the reservoir and it fixed better than new. Lesson learned from last year and saved several hundred dollars on the fix. I’ll be replacing all the cheap poly lines on the hydraulic system when we get home. It appears to me that those poly lines don’t do well under hot conditions that can be found in the front of the RV near the engine compartments. I wholeheartedly endorse Toscana RV and Marfab as great resources in California Central Valley. Safe Travels.

2017 Thor Miramar 34.1
Crimson Quartz
Dilley Dilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 03:23 AM   #2

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Wow... seriously?? Poly lines in a hydraulic leveler system? I have a Big Foot system, and I certainly hope they are all steel. Crawling under the RV tomorrow to check...

Glad you got everything figured out and fixed!
Old 08-03-2021, 03:55 AM   #3

THOR #16919
Lippert System here. Apparently the black poly lines are outgoing and the orange poly lines are return. The replacement lines that I’ve purchased are actual hydraulic lines.
2017 Thor Miramar 34.1
Crimson Quartz
Old 08-03-2021, 04:03 AM   #4

THOR #16919
I tried to attach some photos but it doesn’t seem to be working. Maybe the WiFi here. I’ll send some later. The guy at Marfab was great. When I showed him the broken line he was like… No, that’s a poly line and we don’t do that. I said that’s good cuz I don’t want that either. Make me a real hydraulic line please. So he did and one hydraulic line, 3 quarts of ATF and some RTV sealant for the windshield we were out for $54.
2017 Thor Miramar 34.1
Crimson Quartz
Old 08-03-2021, 12:21 PM   #5

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12698
That is some good information. Thanks for sharing it. Something else to inspect and be aware of in the future.

Paul
Old 08-03-2021, 03:57 PM   #6

Model: Damon Daybreak
State: New Mexico
THOR #19133
I used https://www.discounthydraulichose.com/ to order new hoses. They did a good job and shipped them quickly. I had the same issue you did, but when the first hose let go, I saw the writing on the wall and when I got home, immediately ordered my new hoses.
Old 08-06-2021, 12:03 AM   #7

Model: Four Winds
THOR #24260
Wow, thanks all
Semper Fi
Pillbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 01:51 PM   #8

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Strange thing on the hydraulic hoses. Either you have problems or your don't it seems. By the way, my 67 JD tractor bought new had a plastic return line on the hydraulic pump so they have been around awhile

Mine are all plastic on the Tuscany and so far in 6 years no issues, but that could change tomorrow