Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2018, 02:53 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.3
State: Mississippi
THOR #8822
Question bad isolator or relay?

I have a 2018 ACE 30.3. While boondocking in Quartzsite I noticed that the chassis battery was draining at the same rate as the coach batteries. Fired up the generator and they both charged completely. Running the normal items on the inverter (it took nearly all day), they drained again. At 12.3 volts I disconnected the negative cable from the chassis battery. At least I won't be stranded.

I tried flipping the breaker off at the chassis batter and that made zero difference. After disconnecting the chassis battery, the engine will still crank... so the coach batteries must be connected somewhere.

I flipped the "emergency start" button a few times and can hear a clicking sound but it made no difference. I spoke with Thor and was advised to try everything that I just did. (eye roll)

We'll be in CA in a couple of weeks and am going to take it to Camping World to see if they can identify it but was just wondering if anyone else has had something like this happen... Any thoughts, suggestions, or experiences are appreciated!

Old 01-30-2018, 02:57 AM   #2

THOR #8822
Follow up: Out of curiosity, (with the chassis battery disconnected) I turned the ignition on; everything lit as normal. I hit the emergency start button and nothing changed. I let off of that button and the dash went blank. Now the emergency start button is working as expected. During the light tomorrow I'll connect the chassis battery back and see if it acts the same. Hopefully it was just a stuck solenoid or something that straightened itself out by fiddling with the power.
Old 01-30-2018, 11:19 PM   #3

THOR #8822
Well I suppose that fixed it. Odd. I will have to keep an eye on it to be comfortable, though.
Old 01-31-2018, 02:02 AM   #4

Model: challenger 37YT
State: Michigan
THOR #6874
Glad you got it figured out !
Old 01-31-2018, 05:35 AM   #5

Model: windsport hurricane 34f
State: Tennessee
THOR #9067
on mine the batteries are connected by the trombetta,controlled by the bird or the emergency switch. I had a similar problem and found the trombetta was sticking. replaced it for about 40 bucks on amazon.in simple terms if anything is charging any battery the trombetta connects all batteries so they all charge. if one shows a discharge it separates the coach batts from the chassis batts so you don't kill all batts. when you press the e-switch and hear the click that's the trombetta connecting the batts.just because you hear the click tho does not mean its working properly.