Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-11-2023, 10:22 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Outlaw 38MB
State: Oregon
THOR #25728
Tripping Breaker

Hi All, so I have a 2021 Thor Outlaw38mb, my issue is when I plug it into my home 110 outlet(outdoor electrical receptacles) it keeps thowing the breaker, any ideas that would cause it?
Also we're New to the RV life, and I'm sure I'll be bending Allot of ears with questions...����
Thank you all in advance ☺️

Old 04-11-2023, 10:30 AM   #2

Model: Challenger 35MQ
State: Florida
THOR #21743
I have posted about the same topic, still no solution. I will be watching...

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4...ing-33417.html

Good luck and stay safe.
Old 04-11-2023, 11:37 AM   #3

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Have you tried the advanced search function on this forum? There are several threads.
Old 04-11-2023, 11:58 AM   #4

Model: Miramar
State: California
THOR #22927
I would check the connections at the outlet first. If all ok. I would replace the breaker.

Good luck keep us posted.

Old 04-11-2023, 01:33 PM   #5

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Is it the house breaker that's throwing? Most of them are 15A. The load your camper is drawing must be more than that? What all is turned on in the camper when this happens? I's that outlet a GCFI?
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 02:28 PM   #6

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Is it the house breaker that's throwing? Most of them are 15A. The load your camper is drawing must be more than that? What all is turned on in the camper when this happens? I's that outlet a GCFI?
As Gritz said, either to small breaker or GCFI or both

And you could have a ground fault

Get out your VOM and check the breaker panel as well
Old 04-11-2023, 02:32 PM   #7

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabbithunter View Post
Hi All, so I have a 2021 Thor Outlaw38mb, my issue is when I plug it into my home 110 outlet(outdoor electrical receptacles) it keeps thowing the breaker, any ideas that would cause it?
Also we're New to the RV life, and I'm sure I'll be bending Allot of ears with questions...����
As noted in many threads, turn off all breakers when connecting to your home Outlet

Then start turning on breakers one at a time until you trip the house breaker

Troubleshoot from there
Old 04-11-2023, 02:35 PM   #8
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
This is a common issue that can be caused by several problems:

The outlet is shared in the house with other outlets so possibly overloading the circuit even with minimum loads on in the RV when plugged in - not a common cause.

The obvious "I left the A/C on last time I unplugged" and it tries to start as soon as the RV is plugged in.

The RV has the ground and neutral wires bonded (not supposed to be) and you are plugging in to a GFCI outlet or circuit. This is the most common issue. So if the tripping breaker is a GFCI breaker that is most likely your issue.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 03:27 PM   #9

Model: Outlaw 38MB
State: Oregon
THOR #25728
Thanks all for the responses, so I've switched outlets outside the house to see if if it's the outlets, does it to both of them. And it is just the GCFI thats "Popping ", just I note it was working fine before I had brought the RV for Winterizing and issue withe Radio/monitor, the Side cameras was/is not coming on when I use the Turn signals, but the rear camera is working. The shop said basically the Axxera is shot... that's another question I've got is what a good replacement? I've seen some responses on the site. And Yes the Wife told me to call the shop and ask them... I've got funny feeling thier going to say " We didn't do anything that would cause it!....
Old 04-11-2023, 04:15 PM   #10

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
You're writing too many novels at the same time...LOL. Did you get the breaker issue solved? I'm dizzy.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 04:24 PM   #11
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Thanks all for the responses, so I've switched outlets outside the house to see if if it's the outlets, does it to both of them. And it is just the GCFI thats "Popping ", just I note it was working fine before I had brought the RV for Winterizing and issue withe Radio/monitor, the Side cameras was/is not coming on when I use the Turn signals, but the rear camera is working. The shop said basically the Axxera is shot... that's another question I've got is what a good replacement? I've seen some responses on the site. And Yes the Wife told me to call the shop and ask them... I've got funny feeling thier going to say " We didn't do anything that would cause it!....
"The shop said basically the Axxera is shot." - THAT makes no sense for a standard Axxera radio/camera installation.

The radio just uses the BU camera video input and trigger wire.
The three cameras all go to a camera/trigger "switchbox".
The output of the "switchbox" goes to the radio.
The fact that the BU camera is working normally pretty much eliminates the radio as the problem.
The problem is either in the "switchbox" itself, or, the trigger input from the turn signals. I'd lean towards the "switchbox" because otherwise you'd need two failures for neither side camera to work.

As far as the GFCI issue, you could temporarily plug into a non-GFCI protected outlet if you need to charge batteries or run the fridge but it's going to take some troubleshooting with a multimeter to find out where the ground and neutral busses are shorted in the camper. If it worked before the service then likely the service department ran a screw into some wiring when they put things back together. If it's a good shop they should acknowledge that as a possibility and check it out for you.
Old 04-15-2023, 06:54 PM   #12

Model: Palazzo
State: Oklahoma
THOR #28997
Greetings Wannithunter, I had the same problem with my 2023 Thor. I solved the problem by turning off the Main Power of the Rv and it never happened again. So mine is plugged in to use it as a trickle charger for the batteries
Old 04-15-2023, 08:49 PM   #13
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurposeRv View Post
Greetings Wannithunter, I had the same problem with my 2023 Thor. I solved the problem by turning off the Main Power of the Rv and it never happened again. So mine is plugged in to use it as a trickle charger for the batteries
Isn't the "Main Power" switch the battery disconnect switch? That would remove the battery from being charged by the converter.
Old 04-15-2023, 09:31 PM   #14

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Quote:
IF the rear camera is working it not likely it is the radio that is "shot". If your Outlaw is like my ACE then the turn signal switching is handled by a camera feed switching unit. See link below:

https://thor.mizecx.com/knowledgeDoc...e328060be9a5f8

As for the circuit breaker issue. As I understand the problem is a GFI tripping. I assume your problem is like the problem I have with my GFI protected outside outlets. Two of my outside outlets are protected by GFI receptacles located in two of my bathrooms. By any chance is your house wired like mine? If so, does the GFI trip while your RV is plugged in when your wife uses her blow dryer? If that is the problem find another outlet or get a dedicated 20amp RV circuit. I don't have the hair dryer issue but there is a definite limit. I have been running a 100watt incandescent bulb in my wet bay I also turn on the 110v power to the water heater to prevent it freezing. I also have a space heater the I use inside the coach to keep the coach living space a little warmer But I cannnot run the space heater and the water heater at the same time. So, if you have the 110v switch for the water heater turned on you will have only enough left to run a 100watt lightbulb and nothing else. So, the question comes down to what do you have turned on in your RV?

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 12:30 AM   #15

THOR #28997
No, I’m talking about the switch inside the Rv. Mine has a Main power switch right inside the door.
Old 04-16-2023, 12:34 AM   #16
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
No, I’m talking about the switch inside the Rv. Mine has a Main power switch right inside the door.
Which does what? Operates the latching relay that disconnects the house batteries from the DC buss and converter.
Old 04-16-2023, 12:37 AM   #17

THOR #28997
My switch supplies power to the interior. Radio, lights, appliances, etc.
Old 04-16-2023, 01:33 AM   #18
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
My switch supplies power to the interior. Radio, lights, appliances, etc.
Yep, from the battery when not plugged into SP or running your generator.
Old 04-16-2023, 01:38 AM   #19

THOR #28997
Exactly, and my circuit breaker at my house doesn’t trip when it’s in the off position. Maybe I don’t know much about the circuitry but it doesn’t trip anymore.
Old 04-16-2023, 11:45 AM   #20

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
So problem solved?