Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2017, 03:43 PM   #21

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
"Check while cold" simply means before you travel as in the mornings. Those sitting in the sun in the mornings will be warmer than those in the shade so the pressures will be slightly higher. As just stated don't fret too much as long as you have air & the handling isn't affected by too little pressure.

Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 08:47 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Thor Vegas 25.2
State: Indiana
THOR #7993
I just checked my tire pressures before we go on our maiden voyage to Niagara Falls in Canada. Six of the tires had around 60 psi and the right front was at 70 psi. I hope they were not filled properly at the factory and they're not leaking. I think it's the former because they wouldn't all be leaking.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:42 PM   #23

Model: ACE 30.4
State: West Virginia
THOR #8716
Have an 2017 ACE 30.4 and I’m unable to find the tire pressure recommendation sticker that I’m told is supposed to be on the door frame or near the drivers seat. Any other places I should look? Thanks
Old 10-11-2017, 10:12 PM   #24
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Soooooooo... Who is using nitrogen, and not plain old air?
(I use the "cheap nitrogen": it's only about 78% pure... )
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 10:15 PM   #25
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I figured I'd try something different and went with hydrogen to lighten up the load a bit.

Unfortunately the tires went flat in about a day
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 10:21 PM   #26

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Florida
THOR #4466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I use the same. No problem finding it.
2019 Honda Ridgeline AWD
Wonderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 12:44 PM   #27

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderdog View Post
I use the same. No problem finding it.
Me too! And it works with the compressor that I have!
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 01:56 PM   #28

Model: Class C 31L
State: Illinois
THOR #7768
Forget all that weight on corners crap, fill you tires to the what’s recommended in your RVs sticker and go have fun.
Old 10-14-2017, 12:19 AM   #29

State: Montana
THOR #9570
Red face tire pressures

I am new to this forum (and to RVing) and was reading everyone's comments about tire pressure. I have a 42 ft Thor Tuscany with 6 tires. All of them were low...(22.5x8.25 size)...the 4 outside tires were measuring about 110 and the recommended is 120. The 2 inside tires on the back axle were both measuring about 80. Stupid question?? but aren't all 6 of them suppose to be around 120? Why are the 2 inside back axle tires so low? Any ideas and should I just inflate them all to 120? Thank-you and please don't laugh...
Old 10-14-2017, 12:43 AM   #30
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by merryleggs View Post
I am new to this forum (and to RVing) and was reading everyone's comments about tire pressure. I have a 42 ft Thor Tuscany with 6 tires. All of them were low...(22.5x8.25 size)...the 4 outside tires were measuring about 110 and the recommended is 120. The 2 inside tires on the back axle were both measuring about 80. Stupid question?? but aren't all 6 of them suppose to be around 120? Why are the 2 inside back axle tires so low? Any ideas and should I just inflate them all to 120? Thank-you and please don't laugh...
The sticker inside will give the recommended tire pressures... May be the same all around... May be different for front vs rear... Personally never seen difference for inner/outer on a dual...

You can certainly run the stated pressure up to the vehicles max weight as Murph suggested.

Some try to 'tune' the ride - if you are not at max weight - you may get a softer ride running a lower pressure. To do so safely you need to know the weight of the rig as you would have it loaded - at least axle weights (I haven't found a place that does 4 corners near me).
Based on weight and manufacturers tire chart, you can see the required pressure.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 01:24 AM   #31

Model: Axis 25.2
THOR #4466
Picked up my Axis 25.2 from CW the other day after some work and GS free annual 22 point inspection. They adjusted the air pressure to 70lbs all the way around. I usually run 80 which is what the sidewall has printed as the max. Thought about it and increased rears to 75 when I got home and left the front at 70 but the manufacturer sticker says 80 dual and 75 single so I'm going to keep them close to their recommendation and just enjoy.

Quote:
IMHO, seems like we may be obsessing a bit much on tire pressures.
I think you're right. I think back to the old 26 (?) passenger Ford bus that was used to haul boy scouts to monthly campouts, summer camps, etc. I drove it for three years bouncing through woods that pickup trucks would probably be afraid to go into. We traveled to summer camps in North Georgia, Tennessee and North Carolina from Florida. If it was serviced the scoutmasters did it. Usually a oil change before summer camp. The tires were awful, probably ten years old but never had a problem with them. They were finally replaced the year after I quit driving. As for air pressure, they were checked about every 6 months except for the inner rear. Couldn't get anything on those valves. What a piece of junk but it got us around to great places and fun. Yeah, I think we obsess at times. Oh, the transmission caught on fire on the interstate outside Birmingham, Al one year. Fuel pump quit while in remote woods in a national forest once. GOOD TIMES! We always stopped for ice cream on the way back from weekend campouts on Sundays.
2019 Honda Ridgeline AWD
Wonderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 01:48 AM   #32

Model: outlaw 37ls
State: Europe
THOR #6831
cat scale

the rules on the cat scale are for there guarantee of accurate weight for truckers who get stopped for overweight. i weigh my 28ft trailer & one ton gmc so i get the info i need. the scale operator sometimes has a concern but they do the way i want
Old 10-14-2017, 01:52 AM   #33

Model: outlaw 37ls
State: Europe
THOR #6831
tire pressure

i run the rear tires at maximum allowed for the tire, more pressure LESS SWAY due to tire flex. it may ride rough but sway is less, and excessive tire flexing in sidewall is bad for the tire also

the front will be run at less pressure but never than 20% less than max. the front can sway also, but to stiff a front tire can make it more sensitive to highway grooves
Old 10-14-2017, 01:58 AM   #34

State: Montana
THOR #9570
Smile

Thank-you for the suggestions. The card inside says 120; I'll fill them to 120!
Old 10-15-2017, 01:39 PM   #35

Brand: Still Looking
State: Tennessee
THOR #7227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderdog View Post
Picked up my Axis 25.2 from CW the other day after some work and GS free annual 22 point inspection. They adjusted the air pressure to 70lbs all the way around. I usually run 80 which is what the sidewall has printed as the max. Thought about it and increased rears to 75 when I got home and left the front at 70 but the manufacturer sticker says 80 dual and 75 single so I'm going to keep them close to their recommendation and just enjoy.

I think you're right. I think back to the old 26 (?) passenger Ford bus that was used to haul boy scouts to monthly campouts, summer camps, etc. I drove it for three years bouncing through woods that pickup trucks would probably be afraid to go into. We traveled to summer camps in North Georgia, Tennessee and North Carolina from Florida. If it was serviced the scoutmasters did it. Usually a oil change before summer camp. The tires were awful, probably ten years old but never had a problem with them. They were finally replaced the year after I quit driving. As for air pressure, they were checked about every 6 months except for the inner rear. Couldn't get anything on those valves. What a piece of junk but it got us around to great places and fun. Yeah, I think we obsess at times. Oh, the transmission caught on fire on the interstate outside Birmingham, Al one year. Fuel pump quit while in remote woods in a national forest once. GOOD TIMES! We always stopped for ice cream on the way back from weekend campouts on Sundays.

I agree but not only about tire pressure. Way too many people obsess about way to many things. I understand a little PM and monitoring is in order but seems like a lot of people really like to worry and "obsess".
Old 10-15-2017, 03:37 PM   #36

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
I totally agree, either use the chassis recommended pressures or the sidewall recommendation, as long as they aren't flat, go enjoy. It's never going to ride/drive/handle like your car however you inflate the tires & as hard as you may try you'll never get all 4/6/10 tires inflated exactly the same.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 06:52 PM   #37

Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
THOR #9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
I figured I'd try something different and went with hydrogen to lighten up the load a bit.

Unfortunately the tires went flat in about a day
Remember the "Hindenburg."
Old 07-19-2021, 07:42 PM   #38

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
We ran trucks hauling almost everything and gasoline plus natural gasoline, livestand so on

Now how many think we changed the tire pressure with the different loads?

And can you believe we didn't let air out when coming back empty?

Newbies in particular overthink this and usually go with to low inflation and ruin or blow out tires