Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-03-2021, 03:02 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Outlaw 29H
State: New York
THOR #15098
dewinterizing

Had my rig winterized by the dealer, and he is now too busy to help. I want to dewinterize, but am unsure what to do with the hot water heater. Have a pic, but I don't know anything about the .url I've been asked to provide There are 3 valves. The lower one looks like cold water input, and it is now off. There is a line in between the cold and hot water lines, it has a valve and it is currently in the on position. The top valve is obviously for hot water from the tank, and it is currently off. I guess I need to know what the in-between valve is for, and what position it needs to be in while the hot water tank is in use. Any insight greatly appreciated. BTW, I did replace the drain plug on the outside.

Old 05-03-2021, 03:32 PM   #2

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
The cold and hot need to be on.
The one between needs to be off.

A word of caution: Make Sure there is water in the heater before you turn the electric power to the heater ON.
Depending on the heater their might be a power switch in the lower left corner and one inside the mh.
Old 05-03-2021, 03:48 PM   #3

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
A picture might help you. Also don't turn on gas for water heater either without it being full of water.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Water Heater Bypass.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	30213  
Old 05-03-2021, 06:58 PM   #4

THOR #15098
Quote:
Originally Posted by abjbrtd View Post
The cold and hot need to be on.
The one between needs to be off.

A word of caution: Make Sure there is water in the heater before you turn the electric power to the heater ON.
Depending on the heater their might be a power switch in the lower left corner and one inside the mh.
OK. I'm gonna leave them in the positions they are now to flush the antifreeze out of the system. I will then turn the hot and colt spigots to the on position and turn the bypass spigot to the off position. I guess then it's just a matter of filling the holding tank and turning the pump on to fill the system with fresh water. That should introduce water into the heater, at which point I can turn the heater on. It's a gas-fired hot water heater, with a switch to turn it on inside.
Old 05-03-2021, 07:00 PM   #5

THOR #15098
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin View Post
A picture might help you. Also don't turn on gas for water heater either without it being full of water.
That is just what mine looks like. Thanks for the info. I explained what my procedure will be in the response above.
Old 05-03-2021, 07:33 PM   #6

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
There are many procedures needed to fully de-Winterize any RV and sanitize your water lines. It seems everyone has their own way to do it. I am attaching one UTube video of many out there as a sample of one way to do it, FYI. Some things I do differently and in a different order than the video because my coach is not exactly the same and I have preferred procedures. It just gives you an idea of one approach to getting ready for camping season.

I guess that's why many folks rely on the Dealer, and many like me, prefer to do it myself, which ensures that it is done completely and safely (in my mind), and I check that there are no leaks or other problems during any part of the procedure. If you don;t use pink anti freeze it might be a little easier but the water lines should still be sanitized. Happy camping.
Old 05-03-2021, 09:15 PM   #7

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
What you outlined will work fine. But you should know that you may have some residual taste of the antifreeze for a while. It won’t hurt you but it’s not much like fine scotch! The antifreeze will foam a bit as you flush it when the foam is gone you’re about done.
Old 05-07-2021, 06:35 PM   #8

THOR #15098
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin View Post
I don't see drains for the hot and cold sides of the hot water heater underneath the coach. It's a Thor Outlaw. Anybody point me in the right direction?
Old 05-07-2021, 06:44 PM   #9
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by omar1951 View Post
I don't see drains for the hot and cold sides of the hot water heater underneath the coach. It's a Thor Outlaw. Anybody point me in the right direction?
What type hot water heater. Most have a drain plug on the water heater itself and not under the coach.

Low point drains are a separate issue
Old 05-07-2021, 07:13 PM   #10

State: Michigan
THOR #22979
Thank you sir. Very helpful to a newbie. :-)
Old 05-07-2021, 09:12 PM   #11

THOR #15098
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
What type hot water heater. Most have a drain plug on the water heater itself and not under the coach.

Low point drains are a separate issue
Yes, mine is a gas water heater, and it does have a drain plug inside the water heater compartment. But if you loosen that plug, the water obviously drains all inside the water heater compartment. Doesn't sound to me like a very good way to drain the heater! Suppose I could put a funnel under the plug and loosen it. I'm just trying to follow the instructions in the video that was posted above. I'm now at the step where I'm draining the water tank. Tomorrow I will fill the tank again, and with the pump off will connect city water and run all the faucets and the toilet again to flush the remaining bleach out of the system. I guess that after if I drain the tank again and drain the grey tank I'll be done.
Old 05-07-2021, 10:26 PM   #12

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by omar1951 View Post
Yes, mine is a gas water heater, and it does have a drain plug inside the water heater compartment. But if you loosen that plug, the water obviously drains all inside the water heater compartment. Doesn't sound to me like a very good way to drain the heater! Suppose I could put a funnel under the plug and loosen it. I'm just trying to follow the instructions in the video that was posted above. I'm now at the step where I'm draining the water tank. Tomorrow I will fill the tank again, and with the pump off will connect city water and run all the faucets and the toilet again to flush the remaining bleach out of the system. I guess that after if I drain the tank again and drain the grey tank I'll be done.

That’s it. Let the water cool (or just run the hot water with the heater off until it runs cool) and drain away. It’s good clean water and won’t hurt anything. Some folks replace the drain plug with a short hose and a valve to make draining easier. Also if you lift the silver lever on the pressure relief valve near the top of the heater it will let in air, drain faster, and much of the water will come out fast enough to jump overboard cleanly.
Old 05-08-2021, 10:45 AM   #13

THOR #15098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
That’s it. Let the water cool (or just run the hot water with the heater off until it runs cool) and drain away. It’s good clean water and won’t hurt anything. Some folks replace the drain plug with a short hose and a valve to make draining easier. Also if you lift the silver lever on the pressure relief valve near the top of the heater it will let in air, drain faster, and much of the water will come out fast enough to jump overboard cleanly.

I'll give it a shot today. I also think I'll rig up the short hose idea for the future.