Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-09-2020, 12:37 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Nevada
THOR #20052
Thank you

Old 10-09-2020, 01:51 PM   #22

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguir View Post
I just bought the extra receiver and leave it connected in the Tuscany

If you're an infrequent user then just bring the home unit

All the DirecTV channels are on three satellites so no movement after signal is locked
Just to be clear, DirecTV has 12 different operational satellites in stationary equatorial orbit. The ones that transmit English language content are: 3 in the 99 degree galaxy, 3 in the 101 galaxy and 3 in the 103 galaxy. All of these satellites are hybrids and can transmit on various frequencies, T-9 in the 101 galaxy is the only satellite transmitting in the Ku band. All other satellites transmit in the Ka band and the T-14, T-15 and T-16 transmit in the reverse band for 4K channels (UHDTV).

DirecTV galaxies are located only 2 degrees apart because of the higher frequencies (26 to 40 GHz - shorter wave length) where as the satellites transmitting in the Ku band (12 to 18 GHz - lower frequencies) must remain 4 degrees apart to avoid interference.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 03:38 PM   #23

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Just to be clear, DirecTV has 12 different operational satellites in stationary equatorial orbit. The ones that transmit English language content are: 3 in the 99 degree galaxy, 3 in the 101 galaxy and 3 in the 103 galaxy. All of these satellites are hybrids and can transmit on various frequencies, T-9 in the 101 galaxy is the only satellite transmitting in the Ku band. All other satellites transmit in the Ka band and the T-14, T-15 and T-16 transmit in the reverse band for 4K channels (UHDTV).

DirecTV galaxies are located only 2 degrees apart because of the higher frequencies (26 to 40 GHz - shorter wave length) where as the satellites transmitting in the Ku band (12 to 18 GHz - lower frequencies) must remain 4 degrees apart to avoid interference.
Thanks for clarification Beau388

The system will automatically lock on three of those depending on your location which gives you the 250 or so channels

When I set up after leveling I poweup the Winegard and it will lock in while finishing the hookups

Then you can power down the Antenna controller

I was just keeping a bit to simple perhaps
Old 10-14-2020, 08:53 PM   #24

State: Utah
THOR #12702
Dish set up

We have Dish as a home network and the Auto find antenna on our rv. All we have to do is call dish and activate the wally receivers (3) for when we are going out in the rv, it takes a few moments for the system to be ready but then we get every channel as at home and its nice to be able to keep up with local news if so desired. its a monthly charge so when not using the rv we stop the service. never had a problem or complaint.
Old 10-14-2020, 09:01 PM   #25

Model: ACE 30.3
State: California
THOR #17673
Questions on your setup

Quote:
I use a carry-out Slimline 3 SWM antenna on a tripod (from Solid Signal). I use a cell phone app to position the antenna and my Satlooklite meter for fine alignment. It takes about 5 minutes set-up and align the antenna. The meter's batteries power the LNB, so no need for a coax or receiver set during setup. Once the antenna is tied down, I run the coax to the coach and power up the HS-17 (genie 2). I carry four 50 ft links of RG-6 coax so I can park under the trees and still have a clear shot for the antenna. Total cost including the meter is about $300. I been doing it that way since 1999 and with 3 different coaches.
You are the best person for my questions...
Background - Directv user for 20+ years. 1 genie, 2 HR24/500
Wanted some connection to the outside world, so decided to kick the tires on bringing our HR24/500 along.
Wasn't willing to pay $$$$$$ for the roof mounted units not sure that I would really use it, and have to be concerned about trees.

I decided to purchase one of the cheap tri-pods. Setup once in the backyard and once at a campground. Took me awhile, but it was the first time.

I just looked at the price of the Satlook Lite meter. $250 from RV4TV site.

Here is my question...
You haven't considered 'upgrading' to one of those roof mounts?
Also, do you have a 'slick' way to level the tripod. I have been noodling about what I could add to the legs to make this more straight forward.
thanks,
g
Old 10-14-2020, 09:05 PM   #26

THOR #6903
Most of you are probably aware DirecTV is going to be spun off and right it appears Dish will be the new owner

That will be quite interesting
Old 10-14-2020, 09:05 PM   #27

THOR #20052
Thank you
Old 10-14-2020, 09:25 PM   #28

State: Utah
THOR #12702
Dish set up

I appreciate your thoughts but I am not the one to ask, I do have a roof mounted automatic dish on our rv as I did not want to mess around with all the extra accessories needed to set up a tripod mount etc also because we leave the rv to kayak I did not want to worry about theft as well as having to dismantle and reset the whole thing up every time we leave or return from kayaking. The price for the antenna and install was on a sale at camping world and has more than paid for itself at least for me in time and convenience. I did have on my previous rv a single feed dish that I needed to set the zip code use an installed meter and try to get the antenna at the right directions etc, a real pain and with this new unit all I do is press a power button . We are in our seventies so I'd rather be doing what I enjoy then pulling out my hair trying to figure out dish set up, lol.
Old 10-14-2020, 09:37 PM   #29

Model: ACE 30.3
State: California
THOR #17673
Quote:
Originally Posted by cramar View Post
I appreciate your thoughts but I am not the one to ask, I do have a roof mounted automatic dish on our rv as I did not want to mess around with all the extra accessories needed to set up a tripod mount etc also because we leave the rv to kayak I did not want to worry about theft as well as having to dismantle and reset the whole thing up every time we leave or return from kayaking. The price for the antenna and install was on a sale at camping world and has more than paid for itself at least for me in time and convenience. I did have on my previous rv a single feed dish that I needed to set the zip code use an installed meter and try to get the antenna at the right directions etc, a real pain and with this new unit all I do is press a power button . We are in our seventies so I'd rather be doing what I enjoy then pulling out my hair trying to figure out dish set up, lol.
How long ago did you purchase the directv dish from camping world? It seems like they are only really pushing Dish network now.
Old 10-14-2020, 09:43 PM   #30

THOR #20052
I agree with easy, pulling my hair out now trying to figure out why my awning lights are no longer working no voltage to the lights all house fuses good and no tripped breakers.
Old 10-14-2020, 10:22 PM   #31

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwild View Post
I have direct at home and in the RV. Was upgrading to the 4K Genie at home and directtv says I cannot unless I set up 2 separate accounts. It makes zero sense to me. Anyone else come across this? Solution?
I have Dish and I have 4k at home and rv satellite in the motorhome. One account and it's 7 dollars a month or turn it off and on and it costs pennies. If you use it for a weekend, you only pay for that weekend. If you use it one day you only pay for that day. If you have the Dish Anywhere app on a phone or just sign in on a computer you can watch anything that is recorded, live tv or your home channels for free, no dish needed.
Old 10-14-2020, 10:29 PM   #32

THOR #20274
Quote:
You can also suspend DirecTV up to four times per calendar year. Yes Dish is a better RV service plan, all things considered. The nice the about DirecTV is the standard Slimline dish can receive all 9 satellites without moving the dish. With Dish, the programs are scattered among 3 location in the Eastern arc or three different locations in the Western arc. All automatic carryout satellite antennas can only receive one satellite at a time. All DirecTV Ku band channels (for carryout or mobile antennas) are on the same satellite (D-9 at 101 degrees west longitude). Again I agree the Dish is better for the average RVer.
. My Dish Tailgater uses 3 satellites and I know if I'm missing one or two. Last week I had a bad cable and to check it I brought the dish inside and put a short extra cable on it to see is I would get the set-up screen. I got the setup screen and one satellite with all the channels till it stopped raining and I could put a new end on the cable
Old 10-14-2020, 10:47 PM   #33

State: South Carolina
THOR #788
Direct to v

At least you were worn before you upgraded to the new jeanie that you would have to have two separate accounts. They did not warned me of this issue and when I went out in the RV tried to connect my satellite it would not work. After I spent 30 hours on the phone with DIRECTV they told me it would be a whole separate account and a tremendous amount of money per month. Also the DIRECTV app on your iPhone or iPad yes you can watch programming from the DIRECTV app on your iPhone or iPad, but when you try to connect it to your TV using the correct cord are you get a sound you get no picture. Apparently this is something DIRECTV has built into this app so you cannot watch programming. Good luck I can’t wait to cancel my DIRECTV and go with dish
Old 10-14-2020, 10:55 PM   #34

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
So we have directv ..so will directv install the antenna on the motorhome?
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 10:59 PM   #35

THOR #6903
No, just the receiver if you want them to

So easy probably everyone does it themselves
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Old 10-14-2020, 11:03 PM   #36

THOR #6903
I don't understand your deal

I use the 24 receiver in the motor home, shop, and lake house

Genie is at the main house along with a couple other receivers

One bill, just 7 per month for the active receivers

You can do all the same things on your phone or computer as you can with
Dish

When I priced Dish after the 12 month intro rate they were higher than DirecTV

Have they lowered their rates?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stegski View Post
At least you were worn before you upgraded to the new jeanie that you would have to have two separate accounts. They did not warned me of this issue and when I went out in the RV tried to connect my satellite it would not work. After I spent 30 hours on the phone with DIRECTV they told me it would be a whole separate account and a tremendous amount of money per month. Also the DIRECTV app on your iPhone or iPad yes you can watch programming from the DIRECTV app on your iPhone or iPad, but when you try to connect it to your TV using the correct cord are you get a sound you get no picture. Apparently this is something DIRECTV has built into this app so you cannot watch programming. Good luck I can’t wait to cancel my DIRECTV and go with dish
Old 10-14-2020, 11:11 PM   #37

THOR #788
Directtv

Quote:
No just the receiver
Old 10-14-2020, 11:13 PM   #38

THOR #788
Directtv

If you upgrade to the jeanie to you’ll be sorry because they will make you get two separate accounts. Your receiver in your RV will not work for jeanie too so stay with jeanie one and never upgrade. They may or may not tell you that which I was not told but after all the time and I feel like they miss lead me they would not give me back my old equipment they said they cannot do that.
Old 10-14-2020, 11:14 PM   #39

THOR #788
Directtv

Sorry that is the Genie 2
Old 10-15-2020, 01:48 AM   #40

THOR #20274
Quote:
Just remember that if you install a permanent dish on the roof you can't have any trees in the way. It might be hard to park in a clear area for the dish to have clear sight to the sky. That's why most people have portable dishes so they can be placed out in the open