Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-06-2018, 07:52 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Washington
THOR #3888
Do more than you think you need!

After having a couple shops/garages that were wired before I had them, I can tell you they are never big enough, and there is never enough power. I had enough capacity in my current garage to install a 30-amp outlet for my motorhome so one of the a/c units can be run. If I were running new power to the building, I would definitely want a 50-amp circuit so the MH could be fully powered. A basic 20-amp circuit is certainly better than no power, but is only good for charging batteries and running the fridge and lights - okay for loading and unloading and long-term storage.

Old 10-06-2018, 08:11 PM   #22

Brand: DRV
Model: 44' Santa Fe
State: Montana
THOR #2053
National Electric Code does not allow for use of the "old style" aluminum conductors inside any habitable building.

The aluminum conductors used today start at size #1 and go up as high as you can find. It is not the old style. It is called "Stabaloy" and has been in use since the early 1980's with success. It is a composite material and not strictly aluminum. It is more temperature stable than copper, lots lighter and cheaper. Size for size it does not have the same current carrying abilities. A larger size is required, which means a larger sized conduit. It is up to the engineer or contractor (who ever gets to make the decision) as to which to use. It is a simple math problem to figure cost between smaller copper and pipe or larger aluminum and pipe.

Aluminum is all most utilities use for over head or in ground installations in the USA.

I was an Electrical Engineer and a contractor for more than 40 years and used miles and miles of aluminum building wire with zero problems. Proper installation and treating of the terminations are key.

Bill