Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-26-2021, 04:10 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas
State: Colorado
THOR #22279
Interior trim piece replacements/fixes

Acquiring our RV has again reminded me that most things in life are a compromise in one way or another... (read that we had a budget!)

We purchased our '19 Vegas about a week ago, and have spent lots of time learning tips/tricks/info from you all, and I thank you for that.

Our unit was a previous rental. The engine runs great, the exterior is in great shape, all components work, etc.

However...the interior trim pieces took the abuse of careless renters. Quite a few scuffs, scratches, etc. Furniture touch-up pens hid the small stuff.

I seriously doubt Thor has any replacement parts/pieces available, so my question is how do others repair cosmetic issues - get crafty with fabrications and hope you can find colors/textures that match close enough? Or, have I just not searched enough to find a supplier?

Thanks

Old 02-26-2021, 07:14 PM   #2

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
The trim around the slides was water damaged when we bought the Citation.
We used this, cheep and easy to work with

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here are pictures of the original trim in bed room and new trim in living room.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bedroom.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	28761   Click image for larger version

Name:	main slide.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	28762  

Old 02-26-2021, 07:28 PM   #3

THOR #22279
Thanks for the link.
Cheers!
Old 02-26-2021, 07:39 PM   #4

Model: Vegas 25.5 / Keystone Mon
State: Arkansas
THOR #20441
On our slide the lower left end cap trim piece got damaged from slide catching on something when opening slide. I went through CW (ugh) and they ordered direct from Thor a replacement trim piece. This leads me to believe thag Thor does have inventory of some interior for older models. Our Vegas is a 2019 and the item we purchased was in late summer of 2020.
Old 02-26-2021, 07:45 PM   #5

THOR #22279
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas25.5 View Post
On our slide the lower left end cap trim piece got damaged from slide catching on something when opening slide. I went through CW (ugh) and they ordered direct from Thor a replacement trim piece. This leads me to believe thag Thor does have inventory of some interior for older models. Our Vegas is a 2019 and the item we purchased was in late summer of 2020.
Thanks, Vegas25.5 - I'm pleasantly surprised!
Cheers
Old 02-26-2021, 08:03 PM   #6

Model: Freedom Elite 29FE
State: Georgia
THOR #22323
Jumping on this thread. We just purchased our 2017 Freedom elite 29FE and some of the Interior trim shows wear. It looks like there is an insert in the middle of the trim. It feels like molded plastic. Does it just pop out? Are the mounting screws underneath?
Thanks
Old 02-26-2021, 08:06 PM   #7

THOR #22279
Gaither -
In my case, I don't know yet....I want to make sure I have adequate replacements before I take any trim/mouldings off. My bride of 30 yrs sez I have a problem finishing some projects to the acceptable end.
I suspect they are mostly stapled or glued on.
Old 02-26-2021, 08:17 PM   #8

Model: Freedom Elite 29FE
State: Georgia
THOR #22323
Same issues. I don't want to start picking at it and make it worse. What we'd really like to do is replace it with something else. The middle/insert piece is Screen printed to make it look like spindles (it's kind of convex the way it's mounted the slot), but it just doesn't really make the grade. I'd much rather it be a match to the brown or even a black insert.
Hopefully someone has the solution about how to remove/reinstall/etc.
Thanks
Old 02-26-2021, 08:18 PM   #9

THOR #20441
I can not speak of the Thor Freedom Elite series but suspect they are mostly the same. On our Vegas if you look down the upper trim with the slide pulled in, you can see the wood screws holding the large main body trim in place. Inspecting the other trim pieces attached to the larger main body trim, I see filled nail holes which makes me believe they are probably glued / tacked with a finish nail.
Old 02-26-2021, 09:19 PM   #10

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Ohio
THOR #989
In the past I have contacted Thor Customer Service when I wanted to know when things were fastened together so I didn't create a problem for myself. I was given the information I needed so I could safely make my repair or upgrade. I think the reps I talked to may have worked in assembly at one time. Good luck
Old 03-07-2021, 04:20 AM   #11

Model: Axis 25.6
THOR #19026
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas25.5 View Post
I can not speak of the Thor Freedom Elite series but suspect they are mostly the same. On our Vegas if you look down the upper trim with the slide pulled in, you can see the wood screws holding the large main body trim in place. Inspecting the other trim pieces attached to the larger main body trim, I see filled nail holes which makes me believe they are probably glued / tacked with a finish nail.
I have asked Thor support several times for what I could use cover Staples/nail holes and screws. I haven't gotten an answer. Does anyone out there have an answer?
Old 03-07-2021, 04:56 AM   #12

THOR #20441
Have you tried talking to a representative on the phone? That was where I had the most success. I know trying to locate my fresh water drain was a deal. Customer service rep sent me diagrams and suggested places to look. Very helpful.

877-855-2867
Old 03-07-2021, 12:35 PM   #13

Model: 34j hurricane
State: Arizona
THOR #20884
Call Thor and give them the Vin. Number they will know all of your questions by the vin. number. It helped me. Happy Camping ��
Old 03-07-2021, 09:21 PM   #14

THOR #22431
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfrauch View Post
[snipped]
I seriously doubt Thor has any replacement parts/pieces available,
[snipped]
Since you obviously have not, I would suggest you contact Thor for replacement trim first. Similar (or the same) trim pieces may be used over multiple years. Given your unit is just 2 or 3 years old, they may well have exact replacements in stock.

Of course, when they add on shipping costs ... you may well be better off looking elsewhere! LOL
Old 03-07-2021, 10:27 PM   #15

Model: Four Winds 28A
State: California
THOR #21941
Cabinet Corner

After taking delivery of our 2021 Four Winds 28A, among other things, we noticed that the corner where the two cabinet sides come together had a gap. It was evident that there was some kind of putty that was used to fill the gap, but it was either taken out or it came out. When I contacted the repair shop, they said that they would just fill it with putty.

Unacceptable.

We found on eBay a 135 angle piece of black pvc cabinet edging. A little silicon adhesive, and viola'! It's fixed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WT3_3683.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	28971   Click image for larger version

Name:	WT3_3685.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	28972  

Name:	Afterjpeg.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	28973  

Watchdog hardwired EMS, Alignment, Roadmaster front sway bar, vent covers, Dew Gutter
waynetaylor55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 10:38 PM   #16
Mag

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 5
State: Ontario
THOR #16132
Hole fill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edki45 View Post
I have asked Thor support several times for what I could use cover Staples/nail holes and screws. I haven't gotten an answer. Does anyone out there have an answer?
When I'm finishing cabinetry, after the staining and final finish is applied, you can purchase a wax pencil to fill the holes left behind. Rub it on to fill the hole and wipe the excess off with a cloth. Most colours are available.
Old 03-07-2021, 10:52 PM   #17

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
I used a brown sharpie and a wax pencil to color and cover the screw heads on the trim around the slide of my 29M. The trim is a deep brown and between the two you have to look real hard to see where they are.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 11:03 PM   #18

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Ohio
THOR #989
Look for furniture touch up sticks/pencil. They come in various colors so you can usually find one that works with your trim. For small nail holes I've used the grand kids crayons. If you warm them up a little they work in a little easier. Then I polish off any excess with a soft rag. Experiment in an area not normally seen. Good luck
Old 03-08-2021, 08:13 AM   #19

THOR #20441
That looks great. Will provide a nice edge for many years. Can you provide Ebay details / link?

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynetaylor55 View Post
After taking delivery of our 2021 Four Winds 28A, among other things, we noticed that the corner where the two cabinet sides come together had a gap. It was evident that there was some kind of putty that was used to fill the gap, but it was either taken out or it came out. When I contacted the repair shop, they said that they would just fill it with putty.

Unacceptable.

We found on eBay a 135 angle piece of black pvc cabinet edging. A little silicon adhesive, and viola'! It's fixed.
Old 03-08-2021, 10:06 PM   #20

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Florida
THOR #17950
trim

I found regular trim at Lowe's. It's plastic so it's light and easy to cut and glue in place. I had water damage on the door trim on the bathroom door(apparently previous owner had problems). I put rounded 3/4 trim over it and the design matched real well. Also scuffing damage at the counter corner at the top of the stairs and it covered that too.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20210307_164030.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	28990   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210307_164006.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	28991  

Name:	20210307_164042.jpg