Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-13-2020, 03:53 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor ACE 30.2
State: North Carolina
THOR #9280
Does this look like Gel Coat Oxidation?

Discolored areas on driver side of coach - not sure if this is oxidation or some other road stain - any thoughts? Was going to try a Gel Coast Restorer product - does that seem to be a good first step?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9451.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	22922   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9453.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	22923  

Old 03-13-2020, 11:18 PM   #2

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Looks like you’ve got it going on behind the front wheel too. Whatever it is. Could it be environmental? From something picked up on the road.
Old 03-13-2020, 11:31 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Is that before or after washing?
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 12:24 AM   #4

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Gelcoat

No matter what you do, gelcoat does not do well when exposed to the sun. Neither do those decals. I have never seen the discoloring as it appears but it has to be from sun damage. I would be curious if you try using McGuire's gelcoat finish restorer with a good orbital buffer to see if it removes the discoloring or only brings back the shiny finish. Eventually, you will have to decide what to do with the stickers because they will not hold up to the sun exposure.
Old 03-14-2020, 12:59 AM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Oxidation? No, I don't think so.

Looks like fiberglass repair areas that have discolored with age and UV light exposure. Has the coach been crunched in that area? Whats it look like behind that corner in the engine compartment area?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 01:18 AM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
How old is it?

Has it been parked somewhere for extended period of time where only the parts that appear to be sun baked was exposed to the sun and the rest of the coach was not?

I have seen something similar to that look with a brand new boat cushions that were under a cover from the sun, but the Texas heat was so hot it basically cooked (baked) the surface of the material (but not the gel coat on the boat because I am am a wax nut).

Short of that, it may have been something that got repaired before you got the RV that just didn't have the same quality finish.

Unless you are good with orbital polishers, I would take to a professional wax detailing shop to at least get an estimate for what they recommend. I don't think they would charge $100 to buff it out.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 12:03 PM   #7

Model: Compass 23 TB
State: Ontario
THOR #13224
I have the same problem on my Compass but it is above the windshield and around the skylight. I was quoted $100 just to do a test with rubbing compound and if that worked it would cost around $300-400 to fix it, its purely the time it would take and where its is located as they would have to use scaffolds to work on it.
Coveman2
2018 Thor Compass 23 TB
Old 03-21-2020, 08:11 PM   #8

THOR #8828
Do you have sprinklers that use well water? Reminds me of
Overspray stains caused by iron in the water. Just a thought.
Old 03-21-2020, 08:18 PM   #9
z28

Model: ACE 30.3
THOR #9536
I have seen this occur before, if someone used a tire dressing when performing a detail job , it will cause the yellowing to occur. Once this happens there is no way to remove it. Cleaning and polishing will help but it will only improve it slightly.
Good luck
Old 03-22-2020, 03:53 PM   #10

Model: 30.2 Bunkhouse
State: Michigan
THOR #2780
We have the same discoloration over our entire 2014 ACE 30.2. When we bought we paid for and exterior coating to help protect it. I now doubt that it was even applied. I did try to make a claim as part of the warranty for that product, but because I noticed it the fall and did nothing with until spring they wouldn't honor it. I'm not sure what we're going to do about and it sure is noticeable.
Modified w/ a wheelchair lift
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 12:15 AM   #11

THOR #18144
I wax my rv yearly by hand and store in a COMPLETELY ENCLOSED storage. This is THE ONLY way to prevent fading & oxidation.
Old 03-28-2020, 02:12 AM   #12

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAEN View Post
I wax my rv yearly by hand and store in a COMPLETELY ENCLOSED storage. This is THE ONLY way to prevent fading & oxidation.

Wish I had that option! I got so frustrated with the problem that I made sure full body paint was near the top of my “must have” list when I upgraded. So far so good.
Old 03-28-2020, 11:39 AM   #13

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #8180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
We have the same discoloration over our entire 2014 ACE 30.2. When we bought we paid for and exterior coating to help protect it. I now doubt that it was even applied. I did try to make a claim as part of the warranty for that product, but because I noticed it the fall and did nothing with until spring they wouldn't honor it. I'm not sure what we're going to do about and it sure is noticeable.

Our 2017 30.2 has oxidation only above the drivers window. I wax and apply UV protection 303 product but this area seems to be the issue.
We also had the coating protection package applied and your assumption is the same as mine, they missed this area. Spring is arriving so I need to plow thru the verbiage to see how this is affected by the warranty.
Old 03-28-2020, 06:01 PM   #14

Model: Challenger 37LX
THOR #6310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgepodge View Post
Do you have sprinklers that use well water? Reminds me of
Overspray stains caused by iron in the water. Just a thought.
This is what it looks like to me also.