Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2019, 07:00 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Michigan
THOR #3589
Hi everybody,need to introduce myself

My name is Randy and I have been reading the Forums for a couple years now and enjoy it when it shows up in my e-mail every week.Now for the bad part,I have a 2016 challenger that my wife and bought new and except for the usual stuff that goes wrong I have not had anything I could not fix,untill now,went to get my m.h. out of storage and get it home only to find out the leveling jacks show low voltage,the generator seems like it has no power going to the starter and my inverter will not come on,like it has no power going to the panel has any body experenced this problem and does anyone have a solution.Thank you for any help given.

Old 05-19-2019, 01:17 AM   #2

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Sounds like a plain old dead battery. If it still has the original batteries they could be as much as four years old and it wouldn’t be surprising that they might be gone. Or maybe they just need charging.
Old 05-19-2019, 08:04 AM   #3

THOR #3589
Hi Pete

Well I thought of that also so I put the battery on a charger and with a volt meter I get a reading of 12.4 volts.
Old 05-19-2019, 10:40 AM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
State: Missouri
THOR #5437
Could it be something a simple as the "store/use" switch? Have you checked the knife type breakers by the batteries. As for the leveling jacks, even with the batteries fully charged without the motor running the leveling jacks show low voltage.
Old 05-19-2019, 11:14 AM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
Look around the battery you may find a small breaker box with a "flag" sticking out--push the flag back in to reset the breaker. It may also have a red test trip button on it as well.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 11:29 AM   #6

Model: Quantum RQ29
State: Ohio
THOR #13648
Welcome to the forum. Hope you find the solution to your problem.
Old 05-19-2019, 12:47 PM   #7

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmullins View Post
Well I thought of that also so I put the battery on a charger and with a volt meter I get a reading of 12.4 volts.

Hi, well it sounds like you have now charged your batteries (wet cell |I assume?) to 12.4 volts which is only about 75% (approx) of full charge (full is 12.65 volts lightly or no load). When you are levelling you should leave the engine running so the alternator is keeping the coach batteries charged with voltage (14+ VDC potentially and assisting them somewhat with much higher current than your converter can supply as well). This assumes that your chassis and coach batteries are connected together via the interconnect relay (which should be automatically done by the battery management system in your coach). A voltmeter across coach and chassis batteries will tell you this relay is closed, as both battery sets will read the same voltage and it will be more than 13 VDC (not on shore power just engine running).

From your description (gen won’t start and inverter won’t start) it almost sounded like your main DC coach battery breaker had tripped which is why JamieGeek is suggesting you check that situation and reset it if actually tripped. Did you mean the generator cranks OK, but weakly? If the gen cranked but not very well then your main DC coach battery breaker is probably OK......just coach batteries are (were) not fully charged. It does not hurt to know where this 100 amp resettable breaker is located though. Once fully charged and with engine running your hydraulics should work without issues. Famous last words.
Old 05-19-2019, 02:00 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmullins View Post
Welcome to the Forum, and I hope that you can get this all sorted out quickly!
(Did you have the charger hooked up and running; when you took that reading?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 06:35 PM   #9

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Rmullins, please let us know what the issue was when you figure it out. Issues like this seem to happen to everyone once in a while and I like to keep a mental file of issues and solutions for when it’s my turn. I’m going to go look for my 100 A breaker just so I’ll know what it looks like and where it is. Good luck!