Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-01-2015, 08:02 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 31F
State: Georgia
THOR #631
Door Locks Key Fob Problem?

Members,
It's been quite a while since I've posted anything to this forum since all was working well and I didn't have any advice for those who did post. However, now I've got an problem (a.k.a "issue" in modern parlance) with my 2013 E450 Ford-based Thor Class C 31 F motorhome's door locks and I need input/help if anyone has advice or experience with this issue.
Here's the problem: the automatic door lock servo on both doors have been jumping to the lock position while driving and then re-jumping again, over and over as if someone was continually hitting the lock button on the key fob, and it is DRIVING ME CRAZY(er).
My first thought was loose wire, but since it is continuing to do the same darn thing while the RV is rock solid still, I'm thinking that's not the real cause.
My second thought was water/moisture on the passenger door since it was open as we loaded in the rain. (I flooded the switch with WD40 but it had no effect.)
So I checked the owner's manual and it give about 12 pages of instructions on how to re-program the key fobs and re-set the system. But that didn't work either.
So, I'm thinking that maybe I need new key fob batteries (which are cheap and I'll do that first) and/or a new deep cycle 12 volt coach battery (not so cheap). Beyond that I guess that the problem could potentially be related to the new wiring that goes to the battery that powers a winch that helps me get my motorcycle up onto the front mounted motorcycle carrier. (I'll check this wiring in the morning when I can see better.)
The jumpy door locks are, regrettably or maybe mercifully intermittent. Meaning that they will go crazy for a half hour or so and then become silent for several hours. I note that they E450 owners manual specifically states that this system is NOT impervious to RF interference which I guess means that SF (Special Forces) could lock me in the RV for termination should I become less that a total patriot!
Thanks in advance for any humor, advice, or condolences!
John

Old 10-01-2015, 11:25 AM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
John

I believe the issue you are having should still be covered under the 3/36 chassis warranty. You may want to have your Ford dealer take a look at it.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 08:16 PM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 31F
State: Georgia
THOR #631
Door Locks Key Fob Problem?

Members,
I thought I should report the results of my quest to end the jumping automatic door locks.
First, replacing the batteries in the key fobs had no effect. Also attempting to 'reprogram" the door lock system failed.
My son, a mechanical engineer, finally came over to help me and he, too, was unable to fix the jumping door locks by any of the suggested fixes found in the manual or on the Internet.
So, we finally decided to remove fuse #17 and simply de-power the system. Peace now reigns in our motorhome!