Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-02-2016, 09:22 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds Super C 35SB
State: Colorado
THOR #3579
Hydraulic line for leveling jacks blew while driving down the highway

Well I just posted how much we love our Four Winds Super C 35SB , have only owned it a couple of months now, when suddenly while I was driving down I-25 I heard a blast, like something exploded, and then something started beeping. It stopped after a couple of minutes. When I got to my campsite everything appeared okay but when I went to put my jacks down, I had an auto retract level error. I came onto these boards and read that if I push the retract and error button at the same time then it should reset. That didn't happen, smoke started coming in my cab so I turned off the engine and then pink hydraulic fluid poured out of the undercarriage. That gathered a lot of attention at the campground. All the campers said we should be fine to stay and we drove it up on a log to get level now. Of course, it's a holiday weekend and I can't get ahold of anyone at Lippert. I called our warranty place and they said they can tow it for us, but the engine is running fine, the smoke must have been just residual burning off. However, the carpet behind the drivers and passenger seat is saturated with fluid. It must have sprayed up at quite a velocity. My question is, am I okay to drive this RV back home, it's 100 miles, or are the jacks going to drop down when I am driving? Also, how safe is it to sleep in this, is hydraulic fluid toxic to breathe in? It has no smell, I just stepped in it while I went to turn on the radio. I have 10 people coming to boat and camp this weekend and I am hoping I am okay to stay and try to make the best out of it and drive home safely?

Old 07-02-2016, 01:29 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Below are some hazards of hydraulic fluid. Two basic issues. Skin contact can be hazardous while breathing the fumes apparently may not be. The biggest danger is fire. Hydraulic fluid is very flamable and if the carpet inside the RV is saturated with it you have a real fire hazard. That probably is located right above the catalitic converter which gets very hot. Personally, I would not drive the vehicle until the carpet is removed and the hydraulic fluid is cleaned up. If it catches on fire, you will have a catastrophe. I don't have leveling Jack's, so I don't know if they will stay securely in the up position. Good luck...

Health Problems While Using Hydraulic Fluids (From "hoseandfittings.com)

People can become exposed to the chemicals in hydraulic fluids. The exposure to chemicals may be due to inhalation, ingestion, or touch. There are instances of people suffering from skin irritation or weakness in hands while handling hydraulic fluids. There are also cases of intestinal bleeding, pneumonia, or death through hydraulic fluid ingestion though no serious hazards are reported with hydraulic fluid inhalation.

Similar to ingestion, fluids can be accidentally injected into the skin as well. This takes place when the high-pressure hydraulic system hose is disconnected and toxic fluids are leaked and injected into the skin. If there is a small leak in the hydraulic pipe and someone runs there hand along it, at 2000 psi, they can easily incur an injection of hydraulic fluid and may not even be aware that it happened until gangrene begins to set in.

Fire Dangers Associated with Hydraulic fluids

When working with hydraulic fluid, there is every chance that the hydraulic fluid gets heated to high temperatures. And it is evident that most petroleum-based hydraulic fluids will burn and thereby create explosions and burns.

Environmental Problems Related to Hydraulic Fluids

Another hazard of hydraulic fluid is that when the hydraulic hose or pipe leaks, the chemicals of the fluids can either stay on top of the soil or sink into the ground. If the chemicals get mixed in a water body, they will sink to the bottom. In fact in such cases the chemicals can stay there for more than a year. Aquatic life can absorb the toxic hydraulic fluid, leading to illness or death to the animal or anything higher on the food chain. For example, a hawk that eats a fish that has been contaminated by hydraulic fluid that was mixed in water could become ill as well.

Fluid Texture Problems
Although the slimy texture of hydraulic fluids may not seem like a danger or a problem, a spill can cause a person to slip and fall. Also when there is fluid on the hands of a person, it can cause him to slip while climbing on a machine. It can also cause the operator to lose steering control.

Safety Precautions
There are numerous hazards involved, like skin irritation, fires, explosions, environmental damage, and a slippery workplace. But hydraulic fluids are required for many machines to function. Therefore it is necessary to follow certain precautions while using these fluids. With proper knowledge of these hazards, working with hydraulic fluid can be safe.

In order to avoid skin irritations, it is necessary to wash contaminated skin immediately. It is also necessary to keep your clothing clean.
Wearing masks and gloves while using hydraulic fluids is also helpful.
To avoid environmental dangers, there is a biodegradable hydraulic fluid option, though it is more expensive.
To avoid fires, materials and fluids soaked in hydraulic fluid should be stored in sealed metal containers and disposed of at proper places.
Old 07-02-2016, 02:31 PM   #3

THOR #3579
Thank you, now I don't know where to get it towed too, everyone is closed for the July 4th holiday. I hope the warranty department would help? Surely we can't be the first people that have broken down in a day where the shop is closed?
Old 07-02-2016, 02:59 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
If you are at a RV camp ground most of those folks have RV te4cs that will travel out to you rig and repair it on site. All so there maybe a hydraulic shop in town that can make a new hose and have a service truck that will come out and install it
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 03:45 PM   #5

THOR #1765
Those are good suggestions, but that may not solve the fire hazard of your carpet problem.
Old 07-02-2016, 03:55 PM   #6

THOR #3579
What about using quick dry or something to soak it up? I found a mobile RV repair guy that will come out but that doesn't take care of the carpet issue, any thoughts on this?
Old 07-02-2016, 04:02 PM   #7

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Stanley Steemer or similar professional carpet cleaner may help.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 04:32 PM   #8

THOR #1765
You need to make sure that the area underneath the carpet and any sound dampening material in your dog house or under the hood is not saturated too. See the last line of the item from "hose and fittings.com" I am not sure you can ever clean it enough to make it "fire safe". I sure would get a professional opinion before I started the engine. It could be that the hydraulic fluid is one of the fire resistant type and that this is not a major issue. However, in my opinion, the possible consequences are so bad that I would not risk losing my coach or worse without someone knowledgeable looking at it.
Old 07-02-2016, 05:06 PM   #9

THOR #1765
This post from Dave in 2015 indicates that the Lippert system used Thor uses ATF Dextron 3 fluid.

This is the link to a odd on the dangers of that ATF.
https://www.marathonpetroleum.com/br...0168MAR019.pdf

To give you an idea of what you are working with and to ask the right questions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	2378  
Old 07-02-2016, 05:24 PM   #10

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieL64 View Post
What about using quick dry or something to soak it up? I found a mobile RV repair guy that will come out but that doesn't take care of the carpet issue, any thoughts on this?
Sorry to hear; hopefully he can get you going again quickly. Since information is so important going forward, I'd ask a couple of question if at all possible.

I would ask why the hose came off or blew. While I know very little about these systems, it's hard to imagine that there would normally be significant pressure while driving down the road. If the hose got caught on something on the highway the problem is very different than if it's a malfunction that could repeat even if the hose is replaced. The best case scenario from my perspective would be if you drove over something without knowing it. If so, the damage should indicate it.

From your description that the leak started after you turned the system on, and after you had heard a loud noise, it would suggest to me that it got caught on something that ripped it off, or got hit by something a tire kicked up. Just a guess on my part.

I would also ask him that while under the coach to see if he can tell how the fluid got inside the motorhome in the first place. Eventually you may want to address that issue. On my previous Class C the floor was not sealed hardly at all between the cab and coach -- I could stick my finger through opening. While your motorhome is a lot nicer and built much better than what I had, I'd look to see how hydraulic fluid got inside so easily.
Old 07-02-2016, 06:30 PM   #11

THOR #3579
Thank you all, first I pulled out the saturated carpet with the Thor reps consent. According to Lipppert they said I cannot drive it as the jacks will come down while driving! So I have a tow truck picking us up on Tuesday since the shops are all closed now until then. As far as how this happened, it happened while I was driving. I did not have any road debris, I was just driving along when "pop" it sounded like an aerosol can exploded then the alarm came on. When I got to the campsite and I tried to clear the error of the jacks, it started pouring out! Smoke filled the cabin and I rushed to turn off the engine. For now the saturated carpet is out and I have cleaned up inside the RV. We have no choice but to sit here and enjoy my $130,000 colossal mistake. The RV shop said they are booked out for months so all of my summer camping plans are kaput.
Old 07-02-2016, 07:25 PM   #12

THOR #1765
Sorry to hear about your problem. What a bummer! Hope you can get it fixed quickly so you can enjoy your coach. Hopefully it is nothing more than a blown hydraulic line that can be fixed quickly. Worst case, I would try to secure the Jack's in the upright position so you could use the coach without them. You really don't need them to use the RV. I have not had any in ten years of RVing and four RVs. That way you could still have your summer camping plans and fix the Jack's in the fall or winter. Good luck...
Old 07-02-2016, 09:23 PM   #13

Model: ACE 27.1
State: California
THOR #3186
AnnieL64- I would take the motorhome to a private RV shop, get an estimate, and send it to Thor for approval. Also in the Denver area there must be two dozen Thor dealerships of one kind or another. If you call these and they tell you they are booked too then go the private route and have Thor reimburse you.

I had my dash fan replaced by a private RV repair shop and some upgrade work done and they did and excellent job in a timely manner (2 days same week I called).
Old 07-02-2016, 09:58 PM   #14

THOR #3610
No way would I let that dealer ruin my summer plans, I sure there are others out there that would be willing to fix you in a timely manner. Call Thor & have them find someone that wants the work.
Replacement undetermined
Old 07-02-2016, 10:41 PM   #15

THOR #3579
Thank you everyone. I just called a couple mobile RV repair guys and we will see if they can come out. Do you think now that I removed the saturated carpet that I could at least move it to another campsite? We have to be out of this one on Tuesday morning?
Old 07-02-2016, 11:13 PM   #16

THOR #3610
I would tie up the jacks some how just to be safe & move. If you have not done so, I would at least hose down underneath As best I could, possibly with soapy water (Dawn dish soap cuts grease really well).
Replacement undetermined
Old 07-03-2016, 01:08 AM   #17

THOR #1765
I'd ask the camp if I could stay until the tow or the mobile guys came and explain the situation. I can't believe they would force you to drive it.
Old 07-03-2016, 10:30 PM   #18

THOR #3579
We got under the RV with dish soap and cleaned up all the residue. We tied up the jacks and are going to wait now until Tuesday morning to speak with our Thor concierge for advice on what to do. The Lippert guy did say we could tie up the jacks but we are still worried. So for now our plan is to wait until Tuesday to speak directly with Thor and insist they help us get in sooner for service.
Old 07-09-2016, 01:10 AM   #19

THOR #3579
Update

We finally made it home safe and sound after being stuck for 7 days. I could not get Thor to work with the mobile RV repair shop to pay the bill. They said I would have to pay and they will reimburse me. I had no choice but to do it if we wanted to travel safely. It cost $996.00 to fix the line, I had to charge it. The mechanic was blown away by how crappy the hydraulic line was. It had pinched between two things, he showed my husband where it happened, and blew a hole in it. He rebuilt the line with a much better quality hose and encased it so it won't happen again. He also had to secure all the other hydraulic lines as they "were dangling" around. He did say that if this let go by the engine, we would have caught fire. Needless to say, that scared me to death. We now have an appointment on August 31st to go to the Thor factory and get our growing laundry list of problems fixed. AND when I arrived home, we had just had our driveway sealed, and wouldn't you know it when I backed into the parking spot, our RV spilled diesel fuel all over our brand new sealed driveway. Does anyone know about this problem with the overfill from the tanks on the Super C's spilling out? This is unbelievable.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:18 PM   #20

State: California
THOR #4785
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieL64 View Post
We finally made it home safe and sound after being stuck for 7 days. I could not get Thor to work with the mobile RV repair shop to pay the bill. They said I would have to pay and they will reimburse me. I had no choice but to do it if we wanted to travel safely. It cost $996.00 to fix the line, I had to charge it. The mechanic was blown away by how crappy the hydraulic line was. It had pinched between two things, he showed my husband where it happened, and blew a hole in it. He rebuilt the line with a much better quality hose and encased it so it won't happen again. He also had to secure all the other hydraulic lines as they "were dangling" around. He did say that if this let go by the engine, we would have caught fire. Needless to say, that scared me to death. We now have an appointment on August 31st to go to the Thor factory and get our growing laundry list of problems fixed. AND when I arrived home, we had just had our driveway sealed, and wouldn't you know it when I backed into the parking spot, our RV spilled diesel fuel all over our brand new sealed driveway. Does anyone know about this problem with the overfill from the tanks on the Super C's spilling out? This is unbelievable.
welcome to the joys of Thor ownership. Since 1977 I've owned 3 class c Tiogas, 2 Storms, a Concorc and a Monarch. 2 years ago I bought a 27 ft Windsport by Thor. it has had more problems and a thicker repair file than all the previous vehicles combined. Unlike Fleetwood and Monarch, Thor seems to feel NO obligation to redress problems or support the suckers who foolishly bought their product -- and they don't work well with dealers either. my advice : unload that nightmare, and purchase something from a different manufacturer. Believe me when I tell you, this is just the beginning of the upsets you'll encounter trying to get any redress from Thor.