Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2021, 01:36 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #21988
Need a little help trouble shooting some systems on our 19g

Hi all,
just got our first motorhome (2010 Majestic 19g), and of course already have some questions; hope you can help or at least point us in the right direction.

* the stove has one burner that burns "regular" while the other burner has a real low flame. There is plenty of propane in the tank. Do the burner valves ever need to be replaced?

* the hot water heater does not "spark" on. The red light on the control panel hot water heater comes on and stays on and I don't see any sparking or smell gas from the hot water heater in the back. 2 amp fuse is OK and there is power getting to the system circuit board. Does the regulator go bad sometimes?

* I've seen a common problem on the Dometic fridge is the freezer door latch does not stay closed, and just falls down whenever you open up the fridge door. Is there a replacement latch or workaround to keep that closed?

* the roof vent has a plastic screen holder that is all cracked and broken. Is there a Thor replacement part?

* do the front tires really require 80 psi? that sounds really high.

Any help would be appreciated. We previously lived on a sparten 33' sailboat for 10 years, but it had way less systems on it then this.... no running water... hot water heater LOL.... no fridge... shower out of a pump up bug sprayer in the cockpit.... AC or heater > LOL.... so we are really excited to get going in relative new comfort. thanks for any help.
Bruce & April

Old 01-29-2021, 02:01 AM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
First 80 psi in the tires is pretty normal.
Am I,correct in assuming that your 19G is an ex-Cruise America rental?
If it is: it's probably seen a lot of "careless abuse"; from folks who didn't know better...
The stove burner might just need a good cleaning. Try using a toothbrush on it. Take the time to get into all of the orifices...
The hot water heater: there are adjustments that can be made to them. It's best left to,someone with the background in it...
Freezer door? I got nothing for that one.
Giod luck!
Old 01-29-2021, 02:02 AM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue One View Post
Hi all,
just got our first motorhome (2010 Majestic 19g), and of course already have some questions; hope you can help or at least point us in the right direction.

* the stove has one burner that burns "regular" while the other burner has a real low flame. There is plenty of propane in the tank. Do the burner valves ever need to be replaced? Well the valve adjusts the propane flow to the burner but if the burner is clogged that flow will be limited. I'd start there.

* the hot water heater does not "spark" on. The red light on the control panel hot water heater comes on and stays on and I don't see any sparking or smell gas from the hot water heater in the back. 2 amp fuse is OK and there is power getting to the system circuit board. Does the regulator go bad sometimes? The controller board does go bad but so does the ignitor which is a much cheaper part to replace. But before doing that, take the burner tube apart and inspect for insect nests which sometimes short out the ignitor.

* I've seen a common problem on the Dometic fridge is the freezer door latch does not stay closed, and just falls down whenever you open up the fridge door. Is there a replacement latch or workaround to keep that closed? For the integrated freezer door it is supposed to stay closed by a spring on the hinge. Is yours missing or broke?

* the roof vent has a plastic screen holder that is all cracked and broken. Is there a Thor replacement part? Thor didn't make the vent, probably Dometic did. Check their site for the replacement screen part number and then go Internet shopping.

* do the front tires really require 80 psi? that sounds really high. Is that what it says on the yellow sticker?

Any help would be appreciated. We previously lived on a sparten 33' sailboat for 10 years, but it had way less systems on it then this.... no running water... hot water heater LOL.... no fridge... shower out of a pump up bug sprayer in the cockpit.... AC or heater > LOL.... so we are really excited to get going in relative new comfort. thanks for any help.
Bruce & April
Under 30' sailor here, I'll well familiar with bug sprayer showers and other sailboat living "conveniences".
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 05:30 AM   #4

THOR #21988
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Under 30' sailor here, I'll well familiar with bug sprayer showers and other sailboat living "conveniences".
Thanks for all the insight.
I think I found the right frame and screen for the roof vent.... actually had it on Amazon. We’ll see how it fits.....
Yes, my little freezer door just flops down. I don’t see where there would be a spring holding it closed.
We still have a lot to learn. Thanks
Old 01-29-2021, 03:08 PM   #5

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Congratulations on the new RV. Hope you enjoy many happy miles. It is not at all uncommon for water heater control boards to “go bad”. There are lots of videos on YouTube that go through the troubleshooting drill. If you do need a new controller I strongly recommend getting it from Dinosaur instead of getting the OE cheap Chinese part. It’ll run about $100. Good luck. Sounds like your issues so far are pretty common ones.
Old 01-29-2021, 03:21 PM   #6
Site Team

THOR #7035
I definitely agree with Pete on the Dinosaur boards, both my furnace and WH boards have been replaced with Dinosaur boards. But as I said in my post above, do some investigating/troubleshooting first before spending the bigger bucks on replacement parts.
Old 01-30-2021, 06:34 AM   #7

THOR #21988
Good news... after watching a few trouble shooting videos on YouTube I followed a few steps and after I removed the sparkler wire and cleaned the fitting everything worked perfectly.... I even adjusted the gas to air mixture.... works like a champ.
Also, after airing up all my tires to 80 psi, the “low pressure” warning light went away on my dash.
Going to tackle the low burner flame tomorrow. Thanks everyone.
Old 01-30-2021, 12:45 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Congratulations!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 03:46 PM   #9

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Cool! Thanks for circling back to let us know.
Old 01-30-2021, 03:54 PM   #10
Site Team

THOR #7035
The good news is all the money saved of fixing these things yourself can be spent on other "improvements" AKA "mods".
Old 03-10-2021, 01:44 AM   #11

Model: Four Winds 19G
State: Maine
THOR #22134
Floppy freezer door on 19g

I've seen this fixed with a small tension-type curtain rod, which braces horizontally in front of the door, keeping it from flopping forward. Awkward to have to take it off before opening door, but helps until you find the actual replacement part.

Am picking my 2009 Fourwinds 19g in a few weeks, and spend all my time watching youtubes and reading the forums for stuff like this!

Great to hear of someone else starting out with a similar age rig. Welcome!
Old 06-20-2021, 10:54 PM   #12

State: Nevada
THOR #23898
I had to replace one of the hinges on my Norcold frig freezer door also to keep from flopping open on my Lance camper.....it looks the same as the Dometic one and I found the part on Amazon. I also recently got my 2017 Majestic 19g and am loving the size compared to the camper and is so easy to drive. The only thing I have found that is not working right is the fresh water level....it shows full and then after it draws down a bit, it shows empty. Not a huge deal but everything else seems to work great.
Old 06-20-2021, 11:02 PM   #13

Model: Four Winds 19G
State: Maine
THOR #22134
Re: front tire pressure - the sign on the door jamb says 55psi front, 80 rear on my 2009 19g.