Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2020, 05:27 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Arizona
THOR #12602
Drawer latches

I've had nothing but problems with every drawer latch in my 2018 Thor Freedom Elite 24FE. Camping World has repaired/replace each and every one at least once since I purchased the unit new from CW in Tucson.

I've decided that using bungee cords is not particularly attractive and only so-so effective. I would like to know how to proceed with the project on my own, beginning with how to remove the drawers.

Thanks

Old 05-28-2020, 06:22 PM   #2

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
You need to pull out the drawer. On each side of the drawer in the track should be a black lever/bar that you need to either push up on one side and down on the other side to pull out the drawer. If the drawers are using the push/pull latches, you can buy new ones with a strong pull required to open them. To put the drawers back in, just slide them into the track and push all the way in.
Old 05-28-2020, 06:38 PM   #3

Model: Compass 23 TB
State: Ontario
THOR #13224
I too have replaced all of the Grabber catches in my unit and am experimenting with heavy duty roller catches and heavy duty magnetic catches on certain drawers to see which works best. I did replace the grabber catches with roller catches on the door under the couch and the two I installed did not fail on our Alaska trip last year but was a lot of work getting them lined up to fit. I just installed the magnetic one and have not been out in the unit to see it that works. The grabber latches are junk and at $29 CAD it is expensive but Thor did send me 6 replacements free after I complained.
Coveman2
2018 Thor Compass 23 TB
Old 05-29-2020, 12:11 AM   #4

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
glad to red their quality in this area is just as strong as it was for the 2013 models!
pretty sure I've redone every single drawer slide and most of the catches at some point.
either replaced the slides, replaced the slide back bracket, adjusted and added screws
...that was the biggest thing...they seemed to think 1 screw would do when it really needs 2 or 3....
or I had to adjust the catch, add additional catches... I guess that about covers it.
basically there was nothing about the drawer slides and catches that were right....not a single one.
Old 05-29-2020, 03:41 AM   #5

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
THOR #3610
Click image for larger version

Name:	everbilt-cabinet-latches-9265596-64_1000.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	23972
Replaced those POS plastic latches with these that worked great.
My huge pantry door had 3 of the plastic latches, replaced with 3 of the magnets, easy to open/close & held closed much better.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 03:08 PM   #6

Model: challenger 37FH
State: Delaware
THOR #13399
I replaced the drawer slides with soft close slides from Lowe's on the biggest pot storage drawer as a test,so far it works great,hasn't flown open once during travel,
Old 07-15-2020, 01:45 PM   #7

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #19029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
Attachment 23972
Replaced those POS plastic latches with these that worked great.
My huge pantry door had 3 of the plastic latches, replaced with 3 of the magnets, easy to open/close & held closed much better.
Hi there! Can you take a pic of where and how you actually insta!led these? There seems to be very little space to screw them in without risking damaging the drawer of cabinet. I'm not very handy as you can tell, but I'm getting better with this forum. Thx a mil!
Old 07-15-2020, 03:09 PM   #8

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topsy57 View Post
Hi there! Can you take a pic of where and how you actually insta!led these? There seems to be very little space to screw them in without risking damaging the drawer of cabinet. I'm not very handy as you can tell, but I'm getting better with this forum. Thx a mil!
Sorry! No longer have the RV.
I mounted the magnet side to the door jamb in places I knew wouldn't be scrapping my hands or arms then mounted the cost piece to the inside of the door & the backside of the drawer fronts.
Basically mount them as much out of your way as possible but still workable.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote