Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2016, 07:18 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
That sounded like a pretty simple fix -- unplug the controller and the system resets. Why did it take so long to get that instruction? Isn't there something in the trouble shooting procedure that tells you to do this? Am I safe in assuming no one told you about this during your dealer PDI?

2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:12 PM   #22
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Ed,

The troubleshooting procedures vary by system but neither of them have unplugging the controller as the procedure for resetting the system. On my system the procedure is to press and hold the retract and enter buttons at the same time.

Since resetting the leveling system is not a recurring issue it is not generally covered in the PDI.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:44 PM   #23

Model: Four winds 35SF Super C
State: North Carolina
THOR #4425
There are instructions to the effect of resetting your controller in some lippert docs and another forum I found--haha,,the service people at the RV place were so busy and so confused....and of course we did not ask about location of a "controller"...it took three trips to find it finally with the Lippert guy on the phone cause he new about looking for voltage-so we took a meter out,tested 1 part then tracked down the control- he didn't even mention to unplug it- I had found that part elsewhere in my quest- the Lippert person assumed we had a wiring/voltage issue period....so we unplugged it and waa laa....then the RV service guys called this morning to "follow up"...told them what we did but said we would keep an eye on the 50 amp bus under the step if this happens again-sometimes they need to be replaced or pop out if not in correctly from road travel-again that is self research.........so the saga is over for now--but the lippert guy is the FIRST responder- still have not heard from Thor (they have 24 hours via email-did not call their hotline) and the RV service guys seem befuddled because I think they are all so used to working on 5th wheels and TT's!
Old 06-13-2016, 09:09 PM   #24

THOR #2601
Being in the AF for 42 years, I approach almost everything as a risk assessment. So when someone shows me how to level the coach, my first question would be what do I do if those leveling legs won't come back up. I know in this case they wouldn't come down -- but not going up to me would be a far worse case. There was a series of threads recently of the no retract condition.

When they deployed my awning during the PDI I asked them what do I do if the motor fails and the awning won't retract. The dealer had no idea -- I got the manual retraction answer from the awning manufacturer. Then there is the plethora of questions about what to do if my batteries are not charging.

I just would hate to have a catastrophic failure of something, 500 miles from home on a weekend. One reason I compiled the manual I have was to have a reference of what to do when things do not work as advertised.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
Old 06-13-2016, 09:28 PM   #25

Model: Four winds 35SF Super C
State: North Carolina
THOR #4425
well we were in the AF too!---then worked for F/A18---
we did most of our research about the rig, the chassis,the components,the manuals-all that before we stepped foot in it- where there is a will,there is a way---everything has an alternative option. I would say the only thing that is unknown with these RV's is the weather!!!
Old 06-13-2016, 10:11 PM   #26

THOR #2601
They are an adventure in self discovery!!��
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
Old 06-13-2016, 10:51 PM   #27

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
WillowRun - the best news is you fixed it. The bad news is it took considerable efforts. Hang in there, the real lesson learned is the process to find the answer. Most of the manuals are horrendously vague and generalized. Not just with Thor but with our other RV from Forest River. I do not believe for one minute that I have all the info to fix every problem that comes up. But I do have my "knowledge knots" earned - as you have done - bumping into stuff until find the right answer.

Great job - continue the joy of your coach.
Old 06-14-2016, 02:23 PM   #28

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Florida
THOR #2154
There is a logical explanation as to why reseating (unplugging and plugging back in) of the connector might "fix" the problem. It is possible that either the connector was not completely seated, or that some corrosion or other buildup on the surface of the connector pins, was preventing proper voltage from reaching the controller.

It's not in the normal "flowchart" in troubleshooting this particular problem, but not every symptom presents the same solution.