Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2021, 11:14 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
I agree in saying do not drive it until it is repaired. It will be cheaper to fix it now than drive it and cause more damage later.

Paul

Old 05-19-2021, 12:52 AM   #22

Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
It needs more than a rocker and possibly a valve, look at the cam lobe that rocker rides on, it is all ground down, so it will need a cam also, plus all that metal from the cam may have made it's way into other places like rod and crank bearings. I would not drive it anymore you're just doing more damage.
Old 05-19-2021, 01:07 AM   #23
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Yeah... those bits of,cam are already,munching on the main bearings...
Old 05-19-2021, 02:28 AM   #24

Model: ACE 30.1
State: West Virginia
THOR #21234
I think what my mechanic is concerned about, is if he can replace the camshaft without dropping the engine. And he did mention checking to see if that was possible.

The more I look into it, the more I think replacing the cam, and the rocker/follower would be the way to go. If need be, open the driver's side valve cover to check everything is ok there. This engine only has 53k on it, so seems like a waste to replace it. I guess it would also be prudent to drail the oil and check for metal bits, as you are correct, that metal from the cam lobe had to go somewhere.

It should be noted that this guy is who my local camper place recommends, and does their motorhome work, as they do not sell or service anything but travel trailers. My family has bought from them for years, and I don't believe they would recommend someone they didn't trust.
Old 05-19-2021, 03:28 AM   #25

THOR #4243
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxialFlux View Post
I think what my mechanic is concerned about, is if he can replace the camshaft without dropping the engine. And he did mention checking to see if that was possible.

The more I look into it, the more I think replacing the cam, and the rocker/follower would be the way to go. If need be, open the driver's side valve cover to check everything is ok there. This engine only has 53k on it, so seems like a waste to replace it. I guess it would also be prudent to drail the oil and check for metal bits, as you are correct, that metal from the cam lobe had to go somewhere.

It should be noted that this guy is who my local camper place recommends, and does their motorhome work, as they do not sell or service anything but travel trailers. My family has bought from them for years, and I don't believe they would recommend someone they didn't trust.
You need to drop the oil pan and inspect the rod and main cap bearings, no since in putting money into engine if it has damaged bearings. When you drain the oil you are going to find metal in the oil and in the filter, all that metal circulated with the oil. If you're lucky it did not hurt the rod, main or the cam bearings.
And yes, the metal can get past the oil filter by way of the oil filter bypass.
Old 05-19-2021, 11:09 AM   #26
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Good luck: I hope he finds no damage in the bottom-end....
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 01:03 PM   #27

THOR #21234
For those interested, this is my exact issue, and a new engine is looking more likely.

Old 05-19-2021, 01:27 PM   #28
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
All of those busted parts still spinning inside the engine never bodes well...
Sorry; but a new engine is your safest bet.
Old 05-19-2021, 01:32 PM   #29

THOR #21234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
All of those busted parts still spinning inside the engine never bodes well...
Sorry; but a new engine is your safest bet.
Sadly, I agree.
Old 05-19-2021, 02:20 PM   #30
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxialFlux View Post
For those interested, this is my exact issue, and a new engine is looking more likely.

Here's the whole playlist - scary stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...nWvlFpdz43FWW1

I think the writings on the wall, you just have to read it.

If you were an experienced mechanic doing the labor yourself you may go the repair route but as someone who just wants the coach running and driving I think a new short block is in order.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 03:29 PM   #31
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
There's nothing "short" about a V-10 block...
Old 05-19-2021, 05:11 PM   #32

State: Alabama
THOR #22687
I don't know you or your mechanic and have no dog in this hunt.

"I did ask him, and he said unofficially, he did not see much of a problem, but could not officially tell me it would be safe."

But after a statement like that, I'd be shopping around for someone else.
Old 05-20-2021, 02:30 AM   #33

THOR #4243
Quote:
Originally Posted by standerson View Post

"I did ask him, and he said unofficially, he did not see much of a problem, but could not officially tell me it would be safe."

I agree 110%, time to find a new mechanic.
Old 05-20-2021, 02:50 AM   #34

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Quote:
Originally Posted by standerson View Post

Before we toss the mechanic under the wheels and grind him into the pavement. Do we know such things as how long has the OP been driving the rig with a dead cylinder? The engine may have been in this condition for thousands of miles. A couple hundred more may not make or break it any worse. The tech is trying to get the OP the opportunity to make his trip if he so chooses.
I wouldn't want to drive the thing with a dead cylinder but that's not my decision. I once drove an old Pontiac Bonny back from Canada with a blown head gasket towing a TT because I couldn't afford to get it fixed at the time. We sometimes do what we have to do.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 11:23 AM   #35

State: Alabama
THOR #22687
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
Before we toss the mechanic under the wheels and grind him into the pavement. Do we know such things as how long has the OP been driving the rig with a dead cylinder? The engine may have been in this condition for thousands of miles. A couple hundred more may not make or break it any worse. The tech is trying to get the OP the opportunity to make his trip if he so chooses.
I wouldn't want to drive the thing with a dead cylinder but that's not my decision. I once drove an old Pontiac Bonny back from Canada with a blown head gasket towing a TT because I couldn't afford to get it fixed at the time. We sometimes do what we have to do.
Or a couple of hundred more miles could leave them stranded.

We've all done things we had to do when we were first starting out. I used rattle cans to paint body panels due to not having any money.

This is somewhat different. Having to make the planned trips would be nice but it's not a necessity.
Old 05-26-2021, 07:04 PM   #36

Model: ARIA 3901
State: Georgia
THOR #12263
It is obvious that the roller on the rocker locked up and wiped the lobe on the cam shaft. If the valve spring and keepers are in place then it is unlikely the valve will “drop” by itself. How long had you driven it with broken manifold?
Old 05-26-2021, 10:12 PM   #37

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010 View Post
Looks like the rocker arm is missing.
Attachment 30632

Did the mech remove it? Was other stuff messed up? Maybe you can get some other mech to take a look at it and fix it that is not so busy. i.e. second opinion.
Others are correct, don't drive it more than you have to. In fact Ford has a free towing.
Forgot to mention that is a less than $10 part.
If I'm looking at the photo the rocker arm is missing, the valve spring and keepers are missing and the cam lobe looks destroyed
Old 05-28-2021, 01:34 PM   #38

THOR #21234
Had the oil changed yesterday, and we discussed options:

To replace the engine is going to be around $7400 just for the engine alone (from Ford), not including labor. I suspect close to $10k all said and done.

To repair my engine would be anywhere from $2k-$4k depending on what he finds. This includes replacing all cam followers/rockers as a precaution, new cam, valve, piston, checking valve seat, as well as checking the engine in general to make sure nothing else is damaged.

Leaning towards the latter, as the engine only has 33k on it. I do find it odd that that this happened so soon. He suspects that the engine has possibly been over ran. Either that, or it's just a fluke.
Old 05-28-2021, 01:36 PM   #39

THOR #21234
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
It is obvious that the roller on the rocker locked up and wiped the lobe on the cam shaft. If the valve spring and keepers are in place then it is unlikely the valve will “drop” by itself. How long had you driven it with broken manifold?
At least 100 miles, but probably more. I did not notice the noise/power loss until we stopped to get gas coming back from SC, which was about 100 miles from home, but I am sure it was doing that long before.
Old 05-28-2021, 01:43 PM   #40

THOR #21234
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
I suspect the cylinder has been dead since I purchased the RV back in November, since now that the manifold issue is fixed, it runs like it always has, with the same slightly rough idle. I purchased it in Columbus, OH, so that was a 250 mile drive home, and I've also drove around 1500 miles to Hampton VA, and Hilton Head, SC, so I suppose it has been driven quite a bit as a V9.