Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-28-2021, 11:52 PM   #61

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New Mexico
THOR #17044
While in the Air Force and flying C-130s, we would run through the "bird bath" were the plane was sprayed to wash off all the salt. We would get fire lights and numerous caution lights prior to parking. After the aircraft dried out everything was gtg. Hopefully, this will happen to you.

Old 07-29-2021, 07:16 PM   #62

Model: Windsor 29M
State: Arkansas
THOR #17511
Note : Beware of traveling with a Ford chassis motorhome in Washington State. I had to take my 2021 Windsor 29M to Portland Oregon to have an ABS issue repaired. I have to go back to get the differential recall done . No Ford dealers are working on motorhomes for warranty issues in Washington State.
Old 07-29-2021, 09:30 PM   #63

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Freightliner dealer claims the problem this time is loose pins in a fuse box causing the coolant sensor to provide intermittent false readings.

Sounds strange to me but I have no idea how these after treatment systems are wired or operate.

To me it seems exhaust treatment is the Achilles heel of Diesel engines at present, affecting many manufacturers, not just Freightliner. I don’t know the operational details either, but followed some vehicles I was interested in for a while to find they had significant reliability issues. The diesel RAM ProMaster van, as an example, came to US with a well proven Diesel engine, but the number of reported emissions system problems added up quickly (at least for me). The automated manual transmission didn’t help either, which I personally thought was a nightmare waiting to happen.

As long as large numbers of commercial trucks can save on fuel costs, I expect manufacturers will continue to invest in making these systems better and more reliable. However, on smaller vehicles it’s not surprising to see manufacturers drop diesel options altogether. The RAM ProMaster and Transit diesels were discontinued, and now the F-150 diesel due to low demand (at least that’s what Ford is saying).

Diesel engines can reduce CO2 emissions compared to gasoline, so that too will motivate manufacturers to keep investing for now. I wouldn’t mind seeing the RAM ProMaster get the latest Euro Ducato diesel with 9-speed automatic, which could make a large camper van capable of 25 MPG. I don’t think that will happen though, mostly due to exhaust treatment difficulties and higher costs.
Old 07-29-2021, 10:01 PM   #64
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Well we made it from Amana IA to Springfield IL, about 270 miles without incident today. We’ll see what happens tomorrow
Old 07-30-2021, 05:40 AM   #65

Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Quote:
Well we made it from Amana IA to Springfield IL, about 270 miles without incident today. We’ll see what happens tomorrow
Dave,
Glad you are back on the road.

Safe travels.
Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 11:57 AM   #66
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
X @!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 12:15 AM   #67
Site Team

THOR #1469
Broke again #3

Broke again. Stopped for fuel in Oakwood IL and also filled the Def tank. Def gauge never changed level. Pulled forward so the truck behind could fuel and the low Def and Check engine lights came on. Found a spot to park and called Freightliner. Talked to Alex at Freightliner and he was surprised there was a CEL without an active fault code.

Alex directed us to Truck Country in Indianapolis and right as we checked in it went into 5MPH derate mode. This place can not look at it until Monday so we are once again in a hotel.

Alex called the shop and told them about our issues and where we were so they were expecting us when we got there.
Old 07-31-2021, 01:15 AM   #68

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Dang, that is just not right
Old 07-31-2021, 01:36 AM   #69

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Dry camping with the broke trucks

That just sucks…. plain and simple. I was hoping the loose pins in the fuse box was the root cause… but I had my doubts after the first wiring repair.

Hopefully these guys will be more competent and thorough.

Intermittent problems are the toughest but sounds like a bad sensor or some other part that is in the early stages of failing. Especially after filling the DEF and there was no change in the level.
Old 07-31-2021, 01:53 AM   #70

Model: Dynamax Force HD 34KD
State: Arizona
THOR #20329
Bummer for sure...

I've been following the DEF issues on IRV2 and was hoping to not see this issue on our FL RVs... Feel for you... And hope this can be resolved soon...

Thanks for keeping us informed...
Old 07-31-2021, 01:55 AM   #71

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Now I an gonna get mad (tapping my feet). But you one calm dude, at least to us anyway

This time of the year Indianapolis is nice place to be though. Plenty to do downtown. They also got the best team in the NFL, and there is just no venue like Lucas Oil Stadium. If you happen to see a Indy Colts cap pick it up for me.

Make the best of life's moments. These stories have a way of ending well. I am expecting no less for you.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 02:20 AM   #72
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Now I an gonna get mad (tapping my feet). But you one calm dude, at least to us anyway

This time of the year Indianapolis is nice place to be though. Plenty to do downtown. They also got the best team in the NFL, and there is just no venue like Lucas Oil Stadium. If you happen to see a Indy Colts cap pick it up for me.

Make the best of life's moments. These stories have a way of ending well. I am expecting no less for you.
I did my ranting where it was deserved, Freightliner. It does no good to loose one’s cool on a forum.

Because of my discussion with Freightliner the dealer knew I was there for a repeat repair and I was pissed. Three folks came out to greet me before I could shutdown the coach.
Old 07-31-2021, 02:51 AM   #73

THOR #2121
Glad you’re keeping it together given the bad luck and what you are both going through. Like you say, getting angry usually doesn’t help anyways.
Old 07-31-2021, 03:20 AM   #74

Model: Tuscany
THOR #1808
Quote:
I did my ranting where it was deserved, Freightliner. It does no good to loose one’s cool on a forum.

Because of my discussion with Freightliner the dealer knew I was there for a repeat repair and I was pissed. Three folks came out to greet me before I could shutdown the coach.

patience of steel you have

its very crazy disheartening etc to have a trip flubbed by crazy stuff

getting the cel right after you barely got on the road

OH MAN

pray it gets solved fast and right

freightliner 800 number saved our bacon once going to south texas
weird cel lights and they walked me through a eye ball check after we found the codes and got us an appointment for down the road and a way to safely get there ,

still no excuse for these systems to go crazy, its not like they have not had to run def systems now for 10 years
Old 07-31-2021, 10:42 AM   #75

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:

Makes that Ford F550 chassis that Thor uses look better and better.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 01:11 PM   #76
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
Makes that Ford F550 chassis that Thor uses look better and better.
Not to me. I’ll take the Freightliner issues over the Thor build issues any day of the week. More dealer to take you in on a moments notice.

This to will pass.
Old 08-20-2021, 07:13 PM   #77

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Arizona
THOR #20184
Did they ever solve the problem?
Old 08-20-2021, 10:01 PM   #78
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip500 View Post
Did they ever solve the problem?
Changed the DEF Header during the third breakdown. We made it home without incident and will see what the future brings.