Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-18-2018, 11:21 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 22fe
State: North Carolina
THOR #11657
Dual Battery's

I am going to install two batteries in parallel for the house side (removing the one that came with the coach as it has no date code so I have no idea how old it is). I have a 2018 Thor Freedom Elite 22fe. What are some good brands. I am not all about AGM as I have ran them in my off road vehicles and they aren't worth the extra expense in my opinion.

Thanks Doc

Old 05-18-2018, 11:45 PM   #2

THOR #11657
Also I forgot to ask. Since I am going to replace the one house battery. Would it be better to go with two 6 v golf cart batteries in series. I have read that it seems that might be a better way to go
Old 05-19-2018, 11:56 AM   #3

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
State: Florida
THOR #4656
Two 6v in series, like T-105's or T-125' will take repeated heavy discharges and come back for more. The so called "RV/Marine" batteries are combination starting and house batteries and will not take the abuse of the 6v golf cart batteries.

I'm sure Mr. Battery will be along shortly with charts and graphs to explain this more in detail, but you can save yourself the retina burn and just get the 6v's.

2017 Freedom Elite 29fe
2015 Jeep Wrangler Toad
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 01:26 PM   #4

Model: thor 22FE
State: Georgia
THOR #3371
i have a 2016 22fe and a little over a year ago replaced single house battery. i installed 2 group 27 Duracell 12v batteries in parallel . i have been very happy with what i paid and battery performance. if i have to replace in a couple of years, so be it.
patrick
Old 05-19-2018, 02:03 PM   #5

THOR #11657
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjciii View Post
i have a 2016 22fe and a little over a year ago replaced single house battery. i installed 2 group 27 Duracell 12v batteries in parallel . i have been very happy with what i paid and battery performance. if i have to replace in a couple of years, so be it.
patrick
Was this the battery (s) that you used.
Duracell Marine Battery (Group Size 27)
Old 05-19-2018, 02:03 PM   #6

Model: 28z
THOR #7401
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjciii View Post
patrick
Same thing here, sorta. I've got a 2014 28z and it was 1 year old when I bought it. 2 years ago, almost to the day, I bought 2 Interstate 27's, installed them parallel, and they're still doing well. I keep is plugged in when not travelling. Bought at Costco with same date on both batteries. TIGHT fit but they went in. Like Patrick said, when I have to replace them, so be it.
Old 05-19-2018, 03:13 PM   #7

Model: 22FE
State: Washington
THOR #8606
I have an 18 Freedom Elite 22fe. Bought it new with 2 12v batteries. Had the 2nd installed when I bought it. Tight fit under step. Don't know if 2 6v's would fit but when comes to replacement time, may go that way. The 2 I have in parallel work o.k. for me. Only dry camped couple times for 3 days and they held up o.k. What bothers me is don't know how strong that tray is to support the weight. I keep it charged up with a Battery Tender trickle charger rather than plug in to converter. I have more confidence the Battery Tender will not lead to over charging compared to the converter in the rig.