Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2018, 02:22 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: chateau 29G
State: South Carolina
THOR #12638
dually tire valve access

Hope this is the right place for this question.. just bought a 2018 thor 29g and i want to install tire minder sensors on each wheel..the rear dually valve stems are on such an angle in the rim that a 6inch extension would require cutting some of the slots to allow the valves to come thru the simulator.everyone says to avoid the braided valve extension systems and its obvious why. I have been a mechanic and a machinist for over 40 years..i have never seen anything so damned stupid in my life !! How the hell do they expect someone to maintain rear wheel pressures when you cant reach the valve !! Being a m/c rider i know how just a few lbs of air pressure can change how a harley roadking holds the road, an 8 ton r/v should be easy to adjust rear tire pressure.. how do you folks monitor air pressure in your dually rear wheels?? My r/v dealer gave me some crap about how they all come this way.. really ?? $100g for a camper and thats the answer i get??i am surprised the EPA lets them get away with this crap..

Old 08-28-2018, 02:39 AM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Not everyone says "to avoid the braided valve extension systems" and in fact they were the most used solution the last time this question was asked.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 12:59 PM   #3

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstar57 View Post
Hope this is the right place for this question.. just bought a 2018 thor 29g and i want to install tire minder sensors on each wheel..the rear dually valve stems are on such an angle in the rim that a 6inch extension would require cutting some of the slots to allow the valves to come thru the simulator.everyone says to avoid the braided valve extension systems and its obvious why. I have been a mechanic and a machinist for over 40 years..i have never seen anything so damned stupid in my life !! How the hell do they expect someone to maintain rear wheel pressures when you cant reach the valve !! Being a m/c rider i know how just a few lbs of air pressure can change how a harley roadking holds the road, an 8 ton r/v should be easy to adjust rear tire pressure.. how do you folks monitor air pressure in your dually rear wheels?? My r/v dealer gave me some crap about how they all come this way.. really ?? $100g for a camper and thats the answer i get??i am surprised the EPA lets them get away with this crap..

You often can access the valves with an angled truck tire gauge. But I too found it to be awkward and tedious. I don’t like even the braided extensions so I opted to install metal dually valves. These replace the usual short valves with long, angled ones that place both tire valves in easy reach on the outside. It requires removing the wheels, dismounting the tire and starting over so it’s not cheap. My class C ran $200 and my A was closer to $300. For me it’s worth it. I use the TireMinder TPMS and am very pleased with it. I consider it an essential piece of kit. I’m a bit anal about my tire pressure too. Also a bike rider.
Old 08-28-2018, 07:34 PM   #4

Model: Fourwinds Windsport 36R
State: Ontario
THOR #8513
Got to Camping World or order on line a dually wheel valve stem extensions. They come in different lengths and angles to best fit your needs. They are stainless steel and screw onto your valve stem on your wheels. I then purchased a TireMinder tire pressure and temperature monitoring system. It's pricey but worth the money to know your tires are at the correct pressures and operating at the proper temperature. Alarms will go off for both slow or fast leaks and if your temperatures are too high, which will indicate a soon to happen failure.

Sent from my Life One X2 using Thor RV Forum mobile app
Old 08-29-2018, 12:19 AM   #5

Model: chateau 29G
THOR #12638
i did buy the tireminder system.. have not installed it yet because i cannot access the rear valves..i have an air chuck that reaches straight onto the rear valve and the tireminder air gauge which is great..accurate within 1 psi..great for motorcycle tires as well..but i wonder if you used 90 degree valve extensions to put your tire sensors on to give you reach between the back wheels?? the sensors have to be removed in order to adjust air pressure..
Old 08-29-2018, 04:00 AM   #6

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
I have the braided valve stem hoses on my current rig and have used them on every previous motorhome I have owned. I also check the tire pressures before every drive. In 25 years of traveling I have never had one fail.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 11:32 AM   #7

Model: 28z
State: North Carolina
THOR #7401
I switched from the braided extensions to the solid metal ones because I couldn't get tire pressure readings on the braided ones. A GREAT mental relief.......being able to accurately check air pressure. I also bought a infrared temperature "pistol" and I use it to check tire temp everytime we stop or pull over and simply look for aberrations (that's a big word, DW told me how to spell it)
Old 08-29-2018, 12:17 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Perhaps you can find what you need in this site:

Duallyvalve Kits for Ford, GM, Dodge - Class C
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 02:33 PM   #9

Model: Chateau 26B
State: Virginia
THOR #9566
Until I install the longer steel valve stems, my solution was just to remove the wheel simulators on the rear wheels and keep them in the garage. It makes getting to the valve stems much easier.
Old 08-30-2018, 10:18 PM   #10

Brand: Jayco
Model: Alante
State: West Virginia
THOR #5597
I pulled the simulators on our rig, my wife didn't care for me doing in, but she doesn't have air the tires up. And besides I hated cutting my hands on them.
Old 09-01-2018, 12:16 PM   #11

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch S View Post
I pulled the simulators on our rig, my wife didn't care for me doing in, but she doesn't have air the tires up. And besides I hated cutting my hands on them.
I did the same thing eventually. Wish I'd done it right away. I struggled with the factory braided extenders ( I'm sure it's possible to get good ones and install them successfully, but mine always wanted to leak)
I tried several sets of rigid extenders with the proper rubber grommet supports.
For a while I'd remove the simulators to do the work, then put them back on.
I tried modifying the wheel simulator openings, but I don't have sheet metal skills or tools
A was just about ready to spend for the duallyvalves when it dawned on me....put those blasted things in storage. The only bad thing was that by this time the wheels were very scratched up form all the times I removed the simulators. I painted the wheels, not a great paint job but it turned out fairly well.... and I am HAPPY
Old 02-14-2019, 08:56 PM   #12

Model: Freedom Elite 24HE
THOR #13865
For those of you who removed your wheel simulators, did you replace them with a center hub cap cover?
Old 02-14-2019, 09:42 PM   #13

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallston View Post
For those of you who removed your wheel simulators, did you replace them with a center hub cap cover?
I did not. I did look for some briefly...but in the end didn't make it a priority. They might make things look a bit better, but I think it looks fine as it is. Also, if you ever consider mounting a crossfire system, it'll be much easier without the cover.
Old 02-15-2019, 12:25 AM   #14

Brand: Jayco
Model: Alante
State: West Virginia
THOR #5597
I took ours off after I tried to check the rear tires and couldn't get to the valves. DW didn't like the "new look" but I told her that not cutting my hands up checking tire pressure was a little more important.
Old 02-15-2019, 12:42 AM   #15

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Even without the simulators it’s hard to service or use use a TPMS sender on the inside wheel. I consider TPMS to be essential kit foe any MH. Really like Duallyvalves and recommend considering them at next tire replacement if not right away.