Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-15-2015, 03:13 PM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
[QUOTE=DocMike;17932]Oneil,
Sorry, I tried to take a picture but I had to use a mirror and flashlight to even see it and I could not hold my iphone and take a picture at the same time. Either the Vegas is too low or I am too high. And I am not quite as limber as I used to be. However mine is very similar to the picture TyCreek posted.

Old 09-15-2015, 03:20 PM   #22
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
A van with the V-10 or even simply a Class-C with the V-10 (which there are a few of those around here).

I'm going to try to grab a pic of ours on my way home from work today. Our Axis is a 2014 model with 8000+ miles on it now.

From the looks of your pics are you looking inside the rear of the drivers side wheel well, or do you have to crawl further underneath to see it?
(e.g. is it beneficial to turn the wheels to the right to take a better picture?)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 03:37 PM   #23
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
If you can find one a cube van would be better, it also would come from an upfitter
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 04:59 PM   #24

THOR #1765
DocMike
Sorry, I tried to take a picture but I had to use a mirror and flashlight to just see it and I could not hold my iPhone and take a picture at the same time. Mine looks very similar to TyCreek's picture, but I could not see exactly where it was clipped.
Old 09-15-2015, 05:04 PM   #25

THOR #1765
JamieGeek
You have to get almost under the drive shaft and look forward to the engine to see that area. I am not limber or small enough to crawl all the way under there anymore. I wonder if you could see it with the doghouse removed?
Old 09-15-2015, 05:26 PM   #26
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Here is a pic of ours with the doghouse removed:

If you stood over it and looked straight down you might be able to see it; however it is probably easier to crawl under the RV than it is to remove the doghouse (it was a real pain to get the DH off).
Old 09-15-2015, 06:26 PM   #27

THOR #1765
I feel the same way about the dog house. Although it should be easier the second time. I did not take a picture with mine off and I couldn't remember how far back you can see. I got far enough under to be able to see that I am OK, so I will wait until I have the oil changed. It needs it anyway.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:35 PM   #28

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Gentlemen,

I turned the steering wheel hard right, turn the engine off, squeezed, slide and wheezed into place to get the camera into position. NOT easy.

Below is what I have received today.

The email (from Thor) started with: "Michael this will need to be filed thru Ford. Here is Morryde's decision".

From Morryde: "This is a Ford issue that theyneed to address.
We have no reason to touch thatcable in either the stretch or the upfit. I checked our units in processand there were cables not clipped in properly on a couple units.
So thenI checked the raw lot of units (untouched units straight from Ford) and 4 ofthe 18 were not properly secured.
We will have our guys check for thisand fix when caught but we will not be held responsible for Fords error. Attached are two pictures of those units. A second email will be sentwith the other two units pictures.
Raw units with problems are thefollowing (they listed the Vin #'s of four units)."

This is my first Automotive Warranty Rodeo, any and all advice on how to proceed will be appreciated.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 06:38 PM   #29
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
I'd print out that letter and all the pictures and take that to your Ford dealer.
Old 09-15-2015, 07:11 PM   #30

THOR #1765
Taking it to your Ford dealer may or may not get it fixed. But for your RV that is certainly the first step. But there is a bigger issue here. There are a lot of owners of E-350 chassis' out there who need to know this, not only Thor owners. It could be a life threatening issue. You need to file this with the NHTSA so they can inform all the owners of this chassis.

As to Thor saying that this is not their problem. Come on guys. They are selling us a very expensive product that can get us hurt or killed. I would hope (not necessarily expect) that they would check over their whole product, not just their add ons. Even if it's not "their problem" (and I am not blaming them for this) I would hope they would at least be interested in informing all of their owners of this and any others potentially dangerous issues so we can deal with them.
Old 09-15-2015, 07:58 PM   #31

THOR #2142
I was thinking about making some kind of report myself.

If Thor's check of the "Raw Vehicles" on site yielded 4 out of 18 having the problem, which should represent a random sampling, that means 22.222% of the E350 Chassis have the potential for this problem! That is a lot of vehicles!

Do they still shoot the messenger?

Old 09-15-2015, 08:58 PM   #32
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Well here is my camper today:

Yup no clip, 1/2 the side of the cable is melted away. Fortunately for us shifting is fine for now.

Note the black molding and screws: That is the bottom of the doghouse. Looks like it would be pretty easy to spot with the doghouse removed.

Since I carry a bunch of cable ties in the camper I joined 3 of them together and tied the cable to the chassis mount right there (Thor had already tied some other cables to the same mount so I figured it was safe--at least safer than tying it to the exhaust manifold! LOL)

I kept the cable ties loose so that they wouldn't bind the cable. Try as I might I couldn't get to the same spot where I took the top picture so this picture is looking in from the wheel well but you can plainly see the cable there. I also "tested" my fix by rocking the camper back and forth (e.g. shifting from R to D and back several times) making sure there was no binding.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:11 PM   #33

Model: Axis 25.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #1503
My local Ford dealer has fixed it and it is a warranty repair.

When I pick it up on Thursday, I will take a picture to post of the new cable routing.

Bruce
Old 09-15-2015, 09:22 PM   #34

THOR #2142
Wow, this might be a bit more widespread than I had originally thought. Jamie, that looks a little spooky there!

Bruce, mine goes in Friday. Along with a picture of the new cable routing can you get me the mechaninc's name and what ever codes they used to discribe the repair. I want the local Ford guy to know what we are talking about.

What do you think about Oneil's suggestion: "You need to file this with the NHTSA so they can inform all the owners of this chassis"?

Doc Reott

Old 09-15-2015, 09:26 PM   #35
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike
Jamie, that looks a little spooky there!
Yeah I'll have to take it in, my cable tie is a temporary fix so it doesn't get any worse.

Note that I'll have to remove it before I take it in lest they proclaim: "Hey its already fixed!" LOL
Old 09-15-2015, 09:33 PM   #36

THOR #1765
Wow JamieGeek !!!!
That is distressing. Looks like it is an issue from 2014 -2016. We really need to get the word out. Guess I'll be taking my dog house off to make sure mine is really OK. Just glad it did not fail on me in the middle of Alaska.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:38 PM   #37

THOR #2142
I have to run, be back in a couple of hours. Anyone already work with NHTSA on another problem? Any suggestions on how to contact NHTSA (or pictures of your damages) would be helpful.

Old 09-15-2015, 10:01 PM   #38

THOR #1765
The safety recall notice you posted has all the info for NHTSA on the bottom of the page. Or you can go to Home | Safercar -- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and post it online.
Old 09-15-2015, 11:32 PM   #39
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Right know you're only discussing the Axis/Vegas. What about the Class C motorhomes on the E350? One would thing the configuration would be the same and not just within Thor but within the RV industry.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 12:16 AM   #40

THOR #2142
Also, the notice from Morryde to Thor said they found 4 outof 18 "Raw Units" that had the problem. IF the "Raw Unit" is the chassis before it gets any kind of skin/body could the regular E350's Vans, Trucks and the like have the same "birth defect" comming off the assembly line?