Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-16-2015, 12:20 AM   #41
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov
Right know you're only discussing the Axis/Vegas. What about the Class C motorhomes on the E350? One would thing the configuration would be the same and not just within Thor but within the RV industry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike
Also, the notice from Morryde to Thor said they found 4 outof 18 "Raw Units" that had the problem. IF the "Raw Unit" is the chassis before it gets any kind of skin/body could the regular E350's Vans, Trucks and the like have the same "birth defect" comming off the assembly line?
I'm guessing that this is an issue with the stripped chassis that the Axis/Vegas units use. Thus it probably isn't an issue with Class C's or B+ units or the vans.

I'm having someone with an E450 Class C take photos of theirs and send it to me (probably get them in the next day or so).

JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 12:54 AM   #42

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
I have a patient that is a former Ford Master Mechanic. I will be seeing him soon and will discuss what has happened here. I'll see what he has to offer.

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 01:41 AM   #43

Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Absolutely. My last RV was a Class C E-350. It could be much more than Vegas or even Thor. That is why it should go to the NHSTA.
Old 09-16-2015, 01:53 AM   #44
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Here is a friends E-450 Class C: (I believe its a Forest River Forester)

Note the clip that I didn't see in mine and the fact that the wire popped out of the clip.
Old 09-16-2015, 02:21 AM   #45

THOR #2142
Looks like the clip needs to be reinvented...it does not work well as is. THis may be a very big problem for Ford.

Old 09-16-2015, 02:30 AM   #46

THOR #1765
E-450's and Class C's too. If this issue has been around since at least 2014 and possibly much earlier, I am very surprised that it has not surfaced before. Maybe it has and no realized how widespread it is?
Old 09-16-2015, 11:43 AM   #47
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Looking closer at my friend's pics of his E-450 I've noticed a couple of things:

1. The cable is routed differently on his than on mine:

On mine the cable goes over the exhaust pipe and on his it goes under (heat rises and all). Note that his goes right next to the transmission bell housing (the clip is right on it).

2. The heat shield material in the cable doesn't cover the rubber cover. There is a separation (e.g. the rubber stops and there is a gap).

This leads me to believe that my damage is limited to the end of the rubber and the end of the heat shield (still going to get it fixed though--this just means that the underlying cable there is still workable as evidenced by me being able to shift).

A closer look at my damaged cable:

Actually, I think there is an inside rubber cover that also melted on mine (meaning that this will rust now...definitely have to get it replaced).

I have to give thanks to Bruce for originally posting his experience here. I (and everyone else here with the issue) wouldn't have known about it until we were in a similar situation as he was. Now we can deal with it while the camper is still drive-able.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:37 PM   #48

THOR #1765
I looked at all the Ford E-350 and 450 recalls over the last ten years and there really have been very few. Most deal with vehicles that have been adapted for a special use and none this I could see deals with this or any similar issue. I thank Bruce too and everyone else who has contributed. From Thors comments on vehicles on their lot, Ford obviously has a serious assembly issue and it also may be that the clip is faulty and the cable can slip out even if it is assembled correctly. It is difficult to tell whether that is true or not, but the possible consequences mean that it should be checked routinely.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:38 PM   #49

THOR #2142
I too want to thank Bruce for sharing; if we share the good, the bad and the ugly it just might keep one from getting stranded or worse.

Our RV goes in Friday, I will be at the beach for a week...so I'll know more the last week of the month and will post what they do.

Old 09-16-2015, 01:00 PM   #50
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Doc, are you taking your camper to a normal Ford dealer or an RV certified one?
Old 09-16-2015, 01:36 PM   #51

THOR #2142
Jamie,

I do not know. What is the difference? I just emailed the Service Manager of CW of Statesville to find out if Randy Marion Ford is RV certified.

Old 09-16-2015, 01:44 PM   #52

THOR #1765
Very few Ford dealers are RV certified. However, if the problem only has to do with the engine and/or transmission I have found that the several dealers I have dealt with will look at just that part.
Old 09-16-2015, 01:50 PM   #53

THOR #2142
Thanks. I sent them an email to find out. I will be aware of their "tunnel vision".

Old 09-16-2015, 02:19 PM   #54

State: Texas
THOR #2121
To be fair, my local Ford dealer couldn't work on my Class C because their bays weren't large enough or tall enough. Their lifts couldn't handle the weight either. The nearest Ford location that could was about 30 miles away.
Old 09-16-2015, 02:26 PM   #55

THOR #1765
That Is a legitimate issue, however, many Ford dealers sell and service large trucks and are still not RV certified. I try to go to ones that at least sell large trucks.
Old 09-16-2015, 02:34 PM   #56

THOR #2142
I was told that the Ford Dealer does large trucks, but not RV Front End Alignments. Not sure how that answers the question. I am awaiting a reply from the dealership.

Old 09-16-2015, 04:12 PM   #57

THOR #1765
I have not found any Ford dealer, even the RV certified ones, that do front end alignments on any of their trucks... Go figure. If you talk to the service manager they have someplace that they send all their vehicles to for alignments.
Old 09-16-2015, 10:47 PM   #58

THOR #1249
Just squeezed out from under the Vegas and it has the same problem. The cable was laying on top of the exh. manifold. I am surprised it lasted this long as I have over 11k on the trip meter. Below is pic of it. I used a piece of wire to hold it off the manifold until I can get it replaced. I could not find a clip that was suppose to hold it.This seems to be a systemic problem with Ford. Many thanks to Bruce for bringing this to our attention. This is a great forum for info exchange. Will post results of getting replacement.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bad cable.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	794
Old 09-17-2015, 12:18 AM   #59

THOR #2142
I am not sure how many Vegas/Axis owners view this Forum, but it would be worth the time and effort for anyone with the E350 (and possibly the E450) chassis to check out this problem on their RV.

I think we have had more negative reports back into the forum than positive. It would be nice to see more of the positive reports (and pictures) to see what the correct setup(s) is/are.

Old 09-17-2015, 12:32 PM   #60
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
I've started my search for a local Ford dealer to take care of the issue. So far my local Ford dealer has declined but recommended a truck shop nearby.

Just sent of an e-mail to the truck shop....tick tick tick LOL