Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2017, 09:01 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Colorado
THOR #7468
Axis/Vegas Dewinterizing Help

Help. I've had my new Vegas 24.1 for 3 weeks now. We were still freezing when I took delivery so couldn't check the water system. No problem, they said just call if you need help and we'll walk you through it - of course they hung up on my today when I called with a question - but that's a whole different topic.

I have water in - but:
1) Pump is working, but not well
2) The on demand water tank isn't heating

Issue 1: Pump is working, but not well. When I first turn on a faucet it comes out with great pressure and flow, but after about 2 seconds it starts to weaken and by 5 seconds it is a slow pathetic trickle.

Issue 2: On demand hot water is not heating. Is there a trick here? I have power on, the control in the bedroom is on and the temp is set. I have the valves open which appears to be the only configuration that even sends water to the hot faucets - but the heater doesn't kick on. I do have the LP turned on - in fact the refrigerator is running.

See pictures attached of the 2 valves by the hot water tank, and the 4 valves under the bed. Under bed has 1 open to the pump, the other 3 are closed - they all appear to drain the system.

Am I missing some valves somewhere that would help the pressure? Any thoughts on the hot water tank?

Thank you so much!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4 valves.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	4887   Click image for larger version

Name:	hot water valves.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	4888  

Old 05-12-2017, 09:11 PM   #2

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
There's a strainer in the water line near the pump. Unscrew the cap on top and remove wire strainer. When new, they are usually clogged by small plastic pieces. This may be restricting your water pressure if this hasn't been cleaned out.

Sorry. Can't help you with the water heater problem but someone else on the forum will probably have an idea that can help you.
Old 05-12-2017, 10:21 PM   #3

THOR #7468
Thank you Larry for the idea. I did clear that out, it didn't help

I got ahold of another service center that suggested I had air in the line/pump but I'd have to take it in somewhere to purge that. Anyone have advice on that? I would have thought opening all the faucets and running the water would take care of the lines?
Old 05-12-2017, 10:27 PM   #4

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
Axis/Vegas Dewinterizing Help

Is the pump building pressure and cutting off or running continuously? Did you open the outside shower faucets also to try bleeding out any air? Is it possible that it could be pulling
air through the winterizing tube where the antifreeze is drawn in due to a loose tube fitting?
Old 05-13-2017, 12:22 AM   #5

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Just a thought, how is the pressure when connected.to 'city' water,?

That should answer if you have a in the system.
Old 05-13-2017, 12:36 AM   #6

THOR #7468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
Is the pump building pressure and cutting off or running continuously? Did you open the outside shower faucets also to try bleeding out any air? Is it possible that it could be pulling
air through the winterizing tube where the antifreeze is drawn in due to a loose tube fitting?
I don't have access to city water at the moment - we are actually "camping" really close to home without hookups.

Pump runs and then stops when the water is off. I've run the pump with all faucets (inside & out) running.

I would love to know where the winterizing tube might be...thoughts?
Old 05-13-2017, 12:53 AM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonnieThor
I would love to know where the winterizing tube might be...thoughts?
The winterizing tube is in your fist picture at the top of this thread: The blue tube with the white cap on the top--make sure that cap is tight; if it isn't the pump will suck air.

Your issue with the water heater is likely related to issue 1: Get the pump working correctly and I bet the heater will come on.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 01:12 AM   #8

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Oregon
THOR #6934
Is there a chance that the valve between the tank and the system is not open far enough? My old Coach didn't have one, but my Vegas does, and it was closed when I first started up. No water.
Old 05-13-2017, 01:36 AM   #9

THOR #7468
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
The winterizing tube is in your fist picture at the top of this thread: The blue tube with the white cap on the top--make sure that cap is tight; if it isn't the pump will suck air.
All tight. I will hook into city water tomorrow and see what happens.
Old 05-13-2017, 04:28 PM   #10

THOR #7468
*sigh* Hooked up to city, pressure still not great, but it does kick the hot water tank on.

Seems like if there was a leak the pump would cycle on - it does not do that.

Is there another way to get air into the lines beside the pipe coming up off the line where I winterize?

Is there a way to boost the "oomph" of the pump?
Old 05-15-2017, 08:54 PM   #11

THOR #7468
Well - I decided to just show up at an RV service center and act the part of an innocent lady and act dumb. They took pity on me, but still took them 1 1/2 hours to figure it out. Decided the filter was getting air in somehow, and it was maybe pinching the line having it horizontal instead of vertical. I still think the pressure isn't as great as it could be, but it is enough that the hot water tank is firing up, and I will be able to shower when we head out for our first long week trip

Tags
dewinterize, hot water, vegas, water pump