Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2020, 02:41 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Washington
THOR #20680
Windsport 29M Winterizing

Dealer is 3 hour round trip away and one mountain pass away; so i am in need of how to locate and drain the Hot Water Tank and bypass it.

Old 10-08-2020, 05:11 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: New York
THOR #20250
Assuming it is like my Hurricane 29M, the hot water tank bypass valves are under the sink behind a false wall at the back. Turn off the water pump first if it is on. Turn all three valves under the sink. Then open the external hot water tank door and use a socket or wrench to undo the white plastic plug and the water will drain out of the tank (and all over you if you aren't careful).

This is only part of the winterization process. You need to drain the freshwater tank using the valve in the basement storage compartment under the tank. The water pump can then be used to feed the pink antifreeze into all the water lines. The water pump is located under the rear dinette seat. There is a valve near the water pump that bypasses the freshwater tank and allows you to feed antifreeze into the system by connecting a hose to the plugged off connector that the bypass valve switches the feed to the pump to. If this doesn't make sense, it will once you look under the seat.

Remember also to pour some antifreeze into the outside sink and use the macerator pump to feed it up the drain lines for that sink. The other drains can just have antifreeze poured into them.

There are also low point drains for this model I assume. I haven't looked for them yet but I will when I go to winterize mine.
Old 10-08-2020, 06:28 PM   #3

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #10254
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateGreg View Post
Assuming it is like my Hurricane 29M, the hot water tank bypass valves are under the sink behind a false wall at the back. Turn off the water pump first if it is on. Turn all three valves under the sink. Then open the external hot water tank door and use a socket or wrench to undo the white plastic plug and the water will drain out of the tank (and all over you if you aren't careful).

This is only part of the winterization process. You need to drain the freshwater tank using the valve in the basement storage compartment under the tank. The water pump can then be used to feed the pink antifreeze into all the water lines. The water pump is located under the rear dinette seat. There is a valve near the water pump that bypasses the freshwater tank and allows you to feed antifreeze into the system by connecting a hose to the plugged off connector that the bypass valve switches the feed to the pump to. If this doesn't make sense, it will once you look under the seat.

Remember also to pour some antifreeze into the outside sink and use the macerator pump to feed it up the drain lines for that sink. The other drains can just have antifreeze poured into them.

There are also low point drains for this model I assume. I haven't looked for them yet but I will when I go to winterize mine.
The low point drains on my 2018 - 29M are in the sewer compartment.

This Thor video is a little generic, but gives you a good idea on the basics.

Old 10-08-2020, 08:41 PM   #4

State: North Carolina
THOR #19102
Depends on the year. My 2020 low point drains are in the outdoor kitchen, remove the left side drawer. Pull up on the valves. Next, open the hot water safety valve or remove the drain plug. If you use the valve, suction will empty the water heater but it takes forever to drain. Lastly, the bypass is under the bed.
Old 10-08-2020, 09:52 PM   #5

THOR #10254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campnjoe View Post
Depends on the year. My 2020 low point drains are in the outdoor kitchen, remove the left side drawer. Pull up on the valves. Next, open the hot water safety valve or remove the drain plug. If you use the valve, suction will empty the water heater but it takes forever to drain. Lastly, the bypass is under the bed.
Is your model a 29M?

My water heater bypass is under the sink.

They must have really changed things since I got mine.
Old 10-08-2020, 10:01 PM   #6

State: North Carolina
THOR #19102
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandG View Post
Is your model a 29M?

My water heater bypass is under the sink.

They must have really changed things since I got mine.
Yeah mine is a 2020 29m.
Old 10-08-2020, 10:29 PM   #7

THOR #10254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campnjoe View Post
Yeah mine is a 2020 29m.
Thanks...that's good to know. Nothing ever stays the same!
Old 10-08-2020, 10:42 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandG View Post
The low point drains on my 2018 - 29M are in the sewer compartment.
With an outside sink, the sink is always lower than the coach floor. That is why you have a macerator to pump the sink's waste up into the gray water tank. There for unless you have an Anderson Kantleak valve in the wet bay, the low point drains are located under the outside sink.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 11:04 PM   #9

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Agree with the info on the water heater. Make sure it and the pump are off before removing the drain plug. My 29M has low point drains in the sewer bay, the outdoot kitchen and of course the fresh water tank. I never use the pink stuff, just drain, run the pump a moment or two and leave all the faucets open. Don't forget the outdoor shower.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 03:38 PM   #10

THOR #20680
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateGreg View Post

Thanks for the help; Found my low points under the outside sink; remove the left draw
Old 10-11-2020, 01:45 AM   #11

THOR #10254
I opened my low point drains in the sewage compartment & let them drain out yesterday. These are the standard valve type, like you'd see on a toilet shutoff. these seem to be the actual lowest point on my rig.

Today, I took the drawer out of the outside kitchen and to my surprise, found two key ring type drains that I pulled up on & opened. There was a little water that came out...maybe 5-10 secs or so.

I've got another camping trip this week, but I will be winterizing right before I leave the park. I like to dump the tanks good & then run some RV Antifreeze through the tank valves. I've read where some have frozen/busted in colder climates.

I will be adding the 2nd set of low point drains to my list going forward. Can't hurt to do them too.

Thanks everyone.
Old 10-17-2020, 09:08 PM   #12

THOR #20680
Winterizing 2020 Windsport 29M

After a few discussions with the dealer; I found the location ( they were clueless as to the location). The Hot Water Bypass Valve is located under the master bed (under the mattress). Remove the plywood panel on the left side that supports the mattress. Low Point valves are behind the left draw on the outside kitchen.