Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-17-2016, 02:19 PM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techn0 View Post
I like the vent cover ideas, makes a lot of sense. Has anyone heard of these?
https://ezsnapdirect.com/

thoughts?
I had not seen those, they look interesting. Because they are stiff, they should be easier to put on and take off than a limp cloth cover. However, unless I can get the covers on and off without a ladder, it's not for me. I'll be interested to hear from anyone who has them.

Old 07-17-2016, 02:22 PM   #22

State: Alabama
THOR #4160
I'm pretty sure you would need a ladder but they would be much easier taking on and off and definitely be more aesthetically pleasing.
Old 07-17-2016, 02:30 PM   #23

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
We have used the vent cover in the past...those sold at CW ... but am happy to hear that those square pillows which come with the Axis will fit the vent hole !
Make use of those things !!

Driving down the road, we seem happy with the Ford a/c up front..KC, our traveling partner, seems comfortable too !

As I posted on other threads, as a quick fix, we purchased the Adco 2600 windshield cover. It is not very cosmetic, but does the job and is not as difficult to install, as some folks think. (we are OLD and we have no problem)
It is an inexpensive fix for this summer. We plan to buy Textilene and create our own cover this off season.
Attachment 2506
The video for the Adco 2600 shoes that you have to climb onto the roof every time you install and take off the cover. Is that what you do? A neighbor down the street from me just died from falling off the roof of his RV. Broke his hip, had an an embolism and died in two days. Climbing in the roof is not for me any more. Very carefully once or twice a year to check the roof and covers for me is too many times. Stay safe.
Old 07-17-2016, 03:27 PM   #24

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
Sorry to hear of your neighbor's death. Anyone climbing up on their MH roof should use all caution possible. It can get especially slippery while cleaning it.
Old 07-17-2016, 04:28 PM   #25

THOR #1765
Thanks. People don't realize how dangerous a fall can be, even from 10 feet or less, especially the older you get. Accidents are the third leading causes of death among men in the U.S.. Ladders and roofs are the most dangerous.
Old 07-17-2016, 04:31 PM   #26
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
Janet and I lost her son do to a fall of about 20 feet.. Landed wrong he was only 31 mat the time. Miss him all the time
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 04:43 PM   #27

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhenn View Post
Janet and I lost her son do to a fall of about 20 feet.. Landed wrong he was only 31 mat the time. Miss him all the time
Very sorry to hear of your loss and you have my sincere condolences.

I was recently injured (3 weeks ago) at work in a fall from a 10 ft. ladder after receiving an electrical shock (277 V). I was lucky and only strained my hamstring (quite painful though) and have almost fully recovered. Got back to cutting grass yesterday after being relieved from that duty on one occasion. Not as agile as I once was.
Old 07-17-2016, 04:51 PM   #28

THOR #1765
So sorry for your loss.... Our son jumped from an 8 ' high ledge and shattered his heel into a dozen pieces. He is still paying for it, but at least he is alive.
Old 07-17-2016, 07:07 PM   #29
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
I hate it and am sad for those who have lost friends and loved ones..I cannot imagine what you have gone through.
Ron has always been a 'climber' and I cannot stop him. Does it scare me, yes..last summer while I was in Florida, he opted to stay home..he was working on the ladder...stepped down to what he thought was the last rung..and helped by a strong wind, fell..had 9 stitches at his eye brow and a sore knee.
He was fortunate..God was watching over him.
Getting on the motorhome roof is dangerous..even to do the regular check.
The Adco is temporary...and fortunately, is not used that often...once so far.
(for anyone considering any work on the roof of a motorhome, Ron says...stay to the center and never go near the edge..wear shoes with plenty of grip and watch where you step.)

This Forum and Members are awesome ! Stay safe and have happy travels.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 07:14 PM   #30

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhenn View Post
Sorry to hear; can't imagine what it's like.
Old 07-17-2016, 07:38 PM   #31

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techn0 View Post
I'm pretty sure you would need a ladder but they would be much easier taking on and off and definitely be more aesthetically pleasing.
I was thinking of your post while watching Le Tour de France. You are absolutely correct about not reaching the windows of most American motorhomes (at least not at my height) but I think I could reach most windows of European-size motorhomes easily. Most are built on FWD Fiat Ducato chassis with low floors, so windows aren't 10-plus feet in the air. Most windows don't appear much higher in elevation than on a Class B van.

Large RVs no doubt provide more space, but sometimes we forget how much extra effort they require in many different areas beyond driving.
Old 07-17-2016, 07:41 PM   #32

THOR #2121
P.S. -- Window awnings are always an option if you want to keep the sun out.
Old 07-17-2016, 08:47 PM   #33

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
I was thinking of your post while watching Le Tour de France. You are absolutely correct about not reaching the windows of most American motorhomes (at least not at my height) but I think I could reach most windows of European-size motorhomes easily. Most are built on FWD Fiat Ducato chassis with low floors, so windows aren't 10-plus feet in the air. Most windows don't appear much higher in elevation than on a Class B van.

Large RVs no doubt provide more space, but sometimes we forget how much extra effort they require in many different areas beyond driving.
I just spent two months in France and there are at least a half dozen French models out there too. Not much, if any, shorter than the Axis, but a little narrower and lower. Some nice units in France and all over Europe. We'll never see the French ones over here because they do not export to the US.