Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2020, 12:38 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #16537
Eaton inverters 2018 four winds error E03

The error E03 is on, cannot clear it, do not understand what it means, called Eaton, he said the inverter is bad and needs replacing, went to "just answer" and the guy is saying it is not providing sufficient power to refrigerator (Whirlpool), E03 says " Inverter Output Overload (or short circuit) shutdown.... I installed new batteries 3 weeks ago, the leveler circuit breaker did trip, the Eaton guy tells me Eaton supplied inverters to Thor for only a couple years, said RV "noise" cratered the inverters, he did not know what inverters Thor installs now, called Thor and asked, she was nice but gave me the battery supplier, any help is really appreciated, Dan

Old 08-28-2020, 12:56 AM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Have had 2 Xantrex inverters. One mod sine 1200 watt ran the Whirlpool in the Challenger for 5 years without issues. The current is a 2000 pure sine running a GE residential fridge for 10 months with no issues
Old 08-28-2020, 01:27 AM   #3

THOR #16537
I just want it to not show the error, we do not boondock, just trying to understand if the error is serious, and how to clear it, thanks again, Dan
Old 08-28-2020, 02:15 AM   #4

THOR #16537
Eaton

Duckface, at this point I will, do you recommend a replacement?
Old 08-28-2020, 03:42 AM   #5
Site Team

THOR #1469
Eaton says the inverter is bad and needs replacing, so what are you really asking here?
Old 08-28-2020, 03:56 AM   #6

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
The question I asked, and then took down because you didn't answer it is the same question I'll ask again hoping you'll answer it this time.

What do you use an inverter for, what do you hope to use it for according to your happiest and greatest want, how much between $100 and $6,000 are you willing to spend?

Mine was $3500ish installed.
I hestitate to recommend it until I know what you need.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 04:23 AM   #7

THOR #16537
never mind all
Old 08-28-2020, 04:36 AM   #8
Site Team

THOR #1469
To answer the original question, which I did earlier, Thor is using Xantrex Inverters which are capable of running residential refrigerators such as the Whirlpool.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 02:05 PM   #9

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel.r.rowe@me.com View Post
The error E03 is on, cannot clear it, do not understand what it means, called Eaton, he said the inverter is bad and needs replacing, went to "just answer" and the guy is saying it is not providing sufficient power to refrigerator (Whirlpool), E03 says " Inverter Output Overload (or short circuit) shutdown.... I installed new batteries 3 weeks ago, the leveler circuit breaker did trip, the Eaton guy tells me Eaton supplied inverters to Thor for only a couple years, said RV "noise" cratered the inverters, he did not know what inverters Thor installs now, called Thor and asked, she was nice but gave me the battery supplier, any help is really appreciated, Dan
The E03 code means that the computer circuity in the inverter saw an amperage draw that it could not supply. Simply the inverter was overloaded. This usually happens because you have a heavy load (such as a space heater, coffee maker, hair drier, etc) on the circuit which is supplied by the pass through circuity. When the shore line power or generator power fails the inverter tries to take over the load. This causes the error E03 error.

In the Xantrex circuity, the soft E03 error can be cleared by removing the load and recycling the inverter, most times. If there was a short or a great current draw while the inverter was supplying power that can cause a HARD error. To reset a HARD error the inverter must be totally isolated from 12 volt and 120 volt power for 24 hours and then restarted.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote