Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2020, 10:31 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #16427
Electric power/generator problem ‘19 Thor Vegas 25.6

We have a 2019 Thor Vegas 25.6 MH. After a 5 week trip from FL to CA and back in August, we took it to dealer for repair of several minor issues and problems with the slide and the awning. It was there for 2 months. All systems seemed to be working. It was parked in our driveway on shore power until Dec 15 when we moved it to a side yard unplugged for the holidays. When I moved it back to driveway last week, could not start generator. Nothing -no cranking or motor turnover. House lights will not come on. Radio would not work. Control panel will not come on. Lights and control panel work when plugged to shore power.
All circuit breakers and fuses are intact. GFCI tested and reset. House snd chassis batteries show 13+ v levels. Generator does not display any error code.
Went through several checks with Thor technical support without success.
Anyone experience anything similar? Any ideas?
Thanks.

Old 01-08-2020, 10:47 PM   #2

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
Sounds like the battery disconnect is off. Breakers are 120 volts. GFI's are 120 volts. Not your problem. You problem is 12 volts. Lights are 12 volts and work while plugged in because the convert is providing 12 volts to the lighting system.
Old 01-08-2020, 10:58 PM   #3

THOR #16427
Thanks for reply. I thought same thing, but main power switch remains lit and switch does nothing when flipped. Almost seems like it isn’t working - can’t feel a click or connection. Don’t know if there is a separate battery disconnect somewhere. Owners’ manual is useless.
Old 01-08-2020, 11:12 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chobeelaw View Post
Thanks for reply. I thought same thing, but main power switch remains lit and switch does nothing when flipped. Almost seems like it isn’t working - can’t feel a click or connection. Don’t know if there is a separate battery disconnect somewhere. Owners’ manual is useless.
Is the main power switch lit when unplugged from shore power? Probably not. The light does not show the status of the switch, only that ther is 12 VDC on the DC buss. And where are you reading 13 volts? On the display panel when plugged in to SP? That is the DC buss voltage you are reading, not the battery voltage. Put a voltmeter on your house batteries and you will probably find them dead. You may need to charge the batteries from an external battery charger to get the battery disconnect to shut or you may find the main DC breaker near the batteries tripped or another malfunction.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 11:26 PM   #5

THOR #16427
Thank you for that information. You are right, the main power switch light if off when unplugged and the battery levels were from the control panel monitor.
I will get a voltmeter tomorrow and test the batteries. I appreciate the suggestion.
Old 01-08-2020, 11:31 PM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chobeelaw View Post
Thank you for that information. You are right, the main power switch light if off when unplugged and the battery levels were from the control panel monitor.
I will get a voltmeter tomorrow and test the batteries. I appreciate the suggestion.
No problem. Knowledge is the power that helps you find and fix the problem and misconceptions about what the panel and switch light indicates is a common problem which confuses most newer RVers (and some experienced ones).
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 05:07 AM   #7

THOR #16427
Problem resolved!
Voltmeter showed house batteries were about at 1 bolt each. Put on charger today and tonight the batteries read 13.6 v, the generator starts, and the radio works. Everything seems to be back in working order.
Now I can cancel the repair appointment at the end of this month (earliest the dealer could give me). Thanks for the very helpful input.
Old 01-10-2020, 12:07 PM   #8
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
When you are plugged in make sure that you leave the coach in "Use" (or "on"). If you don't the house battery won't charge (it should also charge when driving down the road).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 02:40 AM   #9

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Question for the group here. Would there be enough parasitic drain on the house batteries on his Vegas to kill them in 4 weeks? Or should the OP be looking at possibly replacing the O.E.M. house batteries? If the coach is a 2019 chances are the batts are two years old already. Wet cells don't recover all that well after being run completely dead. Just a thought here.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 10:04 AM   #10

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
if you don't totally disconnect your house batteries, they 'WILL' get depleted over a short period, sometimes very shortly.... but no, just because batteries are '19 year model' doesn't make them ready to be replaced just because they were drained. Recharge them and then either keep them charged, or disconnect them when not in use. My original battery bank lasted well over 4 1/2 years, and really were still going, when I replaced them - and that was after 90,000 miles and all many, many off = grid overnights, boondocking, storage, and the like.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote