Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2019, 11:43 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37YT
State: Tennessee
THOR #10421
Electric Sewer Valves

I'm interested in adding electric waste valves to my MH so I can dump from inside rather than having to brave cold, mud, etc. I was wanting to see if anyone had any experience, has done this or what opinions may be. Please don't flame me if this is a well-worn topic, I did try to search but didn't find anything. If you know of a thread and could provide the link I would be appreciative. I'm not lazy at all and it's not a lot of trouble but I like to upgrade and have as many things as possible to make RVing more smooth. Thanks for any input or info!

Old 02-25-2019, 11:48 PM   #2

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
I have experienced leakage on sewer hoses. One was my fault because I didn’t put the hose on carefully. The other was when a seal on the connector started to leak. From my perspective, I would never want to dump gray or black tanks without being there to observe.
Old 02-26-2019, 12:05 AM   #3

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
IMHO some things need to be brought up again even if they were previously discussed.

I agree 100% percent with pstandiford. Its far better to be where the action is.
Old 02-26-2019, 12:50 AM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
How much are you willing to pay? I found some valves at etrailer but they are $120+ each.

If you're spending that much why not add in a web cam to satisfy the "I want to be there"--just watch on the webcam and keep your finger on the open/close valve switch
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 01:20 AM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Well that takes care of the quickest part of the evolution, opening/closing the valves.

Now how are you going to remove and store the hose and connect/disconnect it remotely?

Edit:

Oh and rinse the hose remotely??
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 04:17 AM   #6

Model: Four Winds 31E (2019)
State: California
THOR #12270
As others have said I'd rather be right there literally where the sh*t hits the ̶f̶a̶n̶ hose.

However, I am the type of lazy person that would want electric valves with a push button by it just so I can push the button rather than open the valve manually.

Or better yet, bluetooth valves so I can dump while I dump. love the webcam idea. can see it exit the human body and the RV body.
Old 02-27-2019, 11:06 PM   #7

THOR #10421
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstandiford View Post
I have experienced leakage on sewer hoses. One was my fault because I didn’t put the hose on carefully. The other was when a seal on the connector started to leak. From my perspective, I would never want to dump gray or black tanks without being there to observe.
I know what you're saying and I agree but my routine is to arrive, hook everything up then I flush all tanks, black until clear then run a little water in it to keep things wet so I'd already know if any leaks were happening. Thanks for the input!
Old 02-27-2019, 11:14 PM   #8

THOR #10421
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Well that takes care of the quickest part of the evolution, opening/closing the valves.

Now how are you going to remove and store the hose and connect/disconnect it remotely?

Edit:

Oh and rinse the hose remotely??
I know it doesn't eliminate hooking up, checking or flushing but during your stay it would be nice to not have to go out in the cold, rain, snow mud just to pull a lever because the shower tank or sink tank is full. As far as rinsing the black that happens when the gray is dumped then you could run water through the toilet to rinse the black even more.

I appreciate you taking time to respond, I found your comments about remotely rinsing, hooking up and disconnecting to be rather humorous...maybe some genius will develop an iPhone app for that....
Old 02-27-2019, 11:18 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
It's better to be there... in case something goes wrong!

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1551309469
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Humor 30.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	15876  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 11:19 PM   #10

THOR #10421
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
How much are you willing to pay? I found some valves at etrailer but they are $120+ each.

If you're spending that much why not add in a web cam to satisfy the "I want to be there"--just watch on the webcam and keep your finger on the open/close valve switch
Price isn't a huge deal but I'd rather pay more for better quality. I like the camera idea! That's actually a big thing for me as I have cameras set up around the outside of my home with every entrance and side being videoed and recorded. I can even view them remotely, rewind, etc. over the internet from anywhere. It's nice to be able to check on things when you're miles away in Moosehump, Wyoming!

Another post mentions dumping while "dumping"...LOL, but I'm not down for that!
Old 02-27-2019, 11:21 PM   #11

THOR #10421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
It's better to be there... in case something goes wrong!

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1551309469
Yeah but Bob, with the remote switches you won't have that experience in the cartoon, maybe your neighbor but you'll be squeaky clean! LOL
Old 02-28-2019, 12:16 AM   #12
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Well here you go:
A 1.5" valve for the grey tank (Amazon) and a 3" valve for the black tank (Amazon).

Here is the manufacturer's site (with manuals) so you can check them out before buying.

Edit: Looking closer these actually don't replace the valves--they just mount to them and open/close them. This is a much easier installation in that you don't have to disassemble the valves to put them on.

Edit 2: Owner's/installation manual (interesting read).
Old 02-28-2019, 12:57 AM   #13

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
I think the OP has a good question: I think there are two sides to this...

- we might immediately assume that having a non-viewable action take place, such as the 'dumping' of the tanks, is a little irresponsible at first glance.... but, I agree with the OP that the desire to dump the tanks without 'having' to go outside to them is a very reasonable request. True, in good weather, it's no issue and most folks would not do anything differently than what they are accustomed to, but in less-than-desirable weather, or conditions, it might well serve to have the ability to take care of this rather 'simple' task with a simple switch, especially if you are staying somewhere for many days, and this needs to be taken care of at night, during a heavy rainstorm, when a muddy and wet mess could entail.

- we might also 'assume' that this person is just crazy, HOW in the world would you every rely on a electric mechanical device, operating out of view, to 'handle' your dumping properly? Well, let's think about the realities of the situation before we pass judgement:
A) you've already arrived and set up, hooking up your sewer hose, and making an 'initial' dump, which tells you that everything is 'hooked up' correctly.
B) when you are inside, and the tank(s) need dumping, you have no reason to assume that anything has 'changed' outside.... it's possible, but not probable, a big difference.
C) many higher-end large motorcoaches have employed these electric dump valves for years, and quite successfully. If the sewer hose is already initially installed to the sewer dump inlet, and to the other end to the coach's sewer outlet, then what's to 'fear'?

I can see the value of having this option, as it certainly serves a purpose. When you've done your 'due diligence' and have hooked up your system successfully to start with, you'll have little concern when you hit the 'dump' switch.

I say go for it. But, just make a note above the switch that warns: "Please make sure you have attached BOTH ends of your sewer hose before proceeding!"
or,
design the interior switch to be 'disabled' until a sewer hose is actually confirmed to be attached to the sewer outlet.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 01:11 PM   #14

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
"...it would be nice to not have to go out in the cold, rain, snow mud just to pull a lever..."

Horrible idea...not to be too blunt, but just how lazy can a person be? If it were outside lights or something else...maybe, but there's already a switch for that. Too many things can happen with your crap for you to not even have to deal with it "face to face". Why don't you just tap on the window and ask your camping neighbor to do it for you...or call the office and see if they will ride around and "pull the lever" for you? If a hose were to malfunction, he's the one that's gonna get it anyway...just appoint him as the "Responsible Party". At least someone would be acting responsible...right?
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 01:42 PM   #15
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by bharrisv65 View Post
Yeah but Bob, with the remote switches you won't have that experience in the cartoon, maybe your neighbor but you'll be squeaky clean! LOL
I hear you...
But I've seen times, when a tank flush would pop the sewer hose out of the connection to the RV park's system.
If you're outside, and keeping track of the proceedings: you can catch this sort of thing before it becomes everybody's problem...
Old 02-28-2019, 02:28 PM   #16
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
You can always install the remote switch in an outside compartment within a few feet of the dump valves.

In that case it might be nice to be a few feet away when something does "pop" as you don't get anything on you and you can quickly reverse the switch.

On our Axis the dump valves are under a slide. To get to them with the slide out is an exercise in contortion. It'd be nice to have the valve switch in the rear storage bay: open the door and flip the switch.

This positioning has the advantage of the power/remote operation with less of the downfall of actually doing it from inside the coach (you still, however, get wet in the rain).
Old 02-28-2019, 02:49 PM   #17

THOR #11130
Quote:
I hear you...
But I've seen times, when a tank flush would pop the sewer hose out of the connection to the RV park's system.
If you're outside, and keeping track of the proceedings: you can catch this sort of thing before it becomes everybody's problem...

Exactly...and my point spot on!! In some states it's illegal to have remote dump valves. People were placing a 90 degree valve and dumping roadside.
Old 02-28-2019, 02:53 PM   #18
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Exactly...and my point spot on!! In some states it's illegal to have remote dump valves. People were placing a 90 degree valve and dumping roadside.
Why didn't I think of that?!?
Old 02-28-2019, 03:02 PM   #19

THOR #11130
Quote:
Why didn't I think of that?!?

According to reviews, the wires from the switch to the electric valve are only 4 feet long so you still need to be next to it to dump. Take an umbrella but at least your knees will stay dry.
Old 02-28-2019, 03:07 PM   #20
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
If you could dump your tanks while being chased by Law Enforcement...