Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2017, 07:17 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 30.2 Bunkhouse
State: Kentucky
THOR #8259
Electric Shock When Opening Drivers Side Storage Compartments

New ACE 30.2 - Anyone else experiencing this on any model? It's not very much current, but I can definitely feel a uncomfortable tingling in my hand when I go to open the drivers side storage compartments, or when I touch the door frames of the same compartments. It's not EVERY time, but intermittent. Feels like a weak electric fence....
It happens when plugged in at home as well as the campground. My rig is 50 amp; I've only had it plugged in to 30 amp (using the correct dog bone adapter of course, as well as an in-line progressive industries surge protector that also analyzes the shore power). Anyone have a reason and/or explanation for what might be causing this? Don't wanna be this year's Christmas tree!
Thanks!

Old 09-04-2017, 07:28 PM   #2

Model: hurricane 32n
State: Florida
THOR #4158
Sounds like a loose ground somewhere or a staple through a wire. Has is just started or has it been for a while?
Crawfordville Fl. Vietnam Vet.
Jegdrum5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 07:36 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
Yes, I have the same issue with my 2017 Axis I purchased new. I was crawling underneath wasn't even plugged in, generator was not on and I was getting buzzed on the trim underneath the unit and then a couple weeks later my son was wiping out the storage compartments and he came over and said Dad I'm getting a shock wiping out storage compartments with damp towel, if I can't figure it out I'm going to take it into Thor's Factory Center and see what's going on.
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 08:35 PM   #4

Model: A.C.E. 30.2 Bunkhouse
State: Kentucky
THOR #8259
Quote:
Originally Posted by revjeffrey View Post
Yes, I have the same issue with my 2017 Axis I purchased new. I was crawling underneath wasn't even plugged in, generator was not on and I was getting buzzed on the trim underneath the unit and then a couple weeks later my son was wiping out the storage compartments and he came over and said Dad I'm getting a shock wiping out storage compartments with damp towel, if I can't figure it out I'm going to take it into Thor's Factory Center and see what's going on.
Revjeffrey, if you do find out anything, please let me know. DM me if you have to! I'll dig on this end too and will reply back here when and if I find anything. Kinda unnerving knowing that there's plenty enough electricity to kill a person just a few feet away.
Old 09-09-2017, 01:29 PM   #5

Model: Outlaw
State: Idaho
THOR #8541
I don't have this issue but wondering if you take the black lead of a digital volt meter and push it firmly into the soil and use the red probe to the parts that produce the shock on both AC and DC scales and see if you get any readings? Also ck from the negative post of your batteries to the chassis (DC scale)
Old 09-09-2017, 03:51 PM   #6

Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
THOR #6582
Get this unit back to the dealer and scream at them. The is no way this is a safe condition.
RV Electrical Safety: Part IV – Hot Skin | No~Shock~Zone

https://heartlandowners.org/showthre...ctrical-shocks
Old 09-09-2017, 08:25 PM   #7

THOR #6892
This happened on my 2017 axis as well, two times. Once when opening the tank drain door, and another locking the main door when leaving the coach. Both times we were plugged in to shore power. Very concerning... And both shocks were quite strong. I have a service appointment for a few fixes after our 8400 mile trip, and this is one I will ask about. Don't know how they will narrow down the issue and I don't have high hopes for them to solve it
Old 09-09-2017, 11:13 PM   #8

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
glad for this post, and to know that I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE!

our Palazzo has given me many hard 'tingles' over the last several months, though I can't remember if it's only when I'm plugged in, or ANYTIME. I noticed it at first with my coax cable 'ends' when attaching them to my outside portable antenna - I 'assumed' that it was something from the receiver, since it powers the antenna - the metal ends of the coax cable that turns in order to attach is what 'shocked' me...

then,
wiping out the storage bays, and leaning on the metal door frame, I got another!

and,
when I handled my outside shower head, which is the metal 'flexible' type, I got another shock!

I got another when I leaned on my metal door catch, where the door handle attaches to the door frame when it's closed... not good.

something is amiss !

I also had the thought of a loose wire somewhere, but my brain said that if there was a loose wire, would it not also affect everything IN the coach, as well? Uh,,,, no. There is very little metal, if any, that you touch in the coach, though the microwave and fridge come to mind, but they are just 'plugged in' and not part of the coach 'frame' or 'chassis', which must be where the shock is coming from... maybe the electric step??

I'll need to get under the coach and check out the step. It seems that our steps, which have wiring, are subject to contact with objects from the road, and actually the ground itself sometimes... I can only imagine that wiring there is a possibility to be 'pulled' out, or away from the connection maybe...
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 11:25 PM   #9

Model: Four Winds 22B
State: Florida
THOR #5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnach View Post
Get this unit back to the dealer and scream at them. The is no way this is a safe condition.
RV Electrical Safety: Pyart IV – Hot Skin | No~Shock~Zone

https://heartlandowners.org/showthre...ctrical-shocks
Don't know why you would need to scream at them Just make an appointment and calmly show them what you do when you get the shocks

Four Winds 22B
Sunseeker 2800QSF GTS (Loss to hurricane Ian)
Windsport 27K
dcbenny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 08:14 PM   #10

THOR #6582
Yes, screaming is hyperbolic but sometimes you've got to bellow to someone's attention. As an electrician, there is NO safe condition where electrical current is live to the chassis. When only 100 milliamps, ONE TENTH of an amp, is enough to disrupt the heart's rhythmic pulse to quivering jello, I don't mess around with open ground, reversed polarity or any potentially deadly electrical fault. Your body is completing the circuit to ground. I've seen it, I've done it. You could ask Uncle Louie who crawled underneath his house to check a toilet leak using a an old drop light. Oh, no you can't. He died.
https://www.physics.ohio-state.edu/~...l_current.html