Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-26-2022, 08:25 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Ohio
THOR #26704
electrical issue

I have a 2016 Thor hurricane 35c motorhome. 2 weeks ago I could turn the outside light by the entrance door on and off. Now it is on all the time, the generator switch on the dash is illuminated all the time , the switch on the generator is illuminated all the time. the hour meter red dot light is illuminated all the time. you can start and shut off the generator from all 3 locations, dash, wall just inside the entrance door, and the generator itself. If you are hooked up to shore power, these lights are illuminated also. with no shore power nor generator running these lights are on, only way to get them out is to turn the disconnect switch off. checked the switch for the outside light, it has 12volts on either side of the switch, even with the wires off the switch I have 12 volts on both. something is back feeding the outside light. not sure if the outside light is supposed to be on if the generator is running or not. has anyone had this issue. Thor tech was no help at all.

Old 07-26-2022, 08:59 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by buck101 View Post
I have a 2016 Thor hurricane 35c motorhome. 2 weeks ago I could turn the outside light by the entrance door on and off. Now it is on all the time, the generator switch on the dash is illuminated all the time , the switch on the generator is illuminated all the time. the hour meter red dot light is illuminated all the time. you can start and shut off the generator from all 3 locations, dash, wall just inside the entrance door, and the generator itself. If you are hooked up to shore power, these lights are illuminated also. with no shore power nor generator running these lights are on, only way to get them out is to turn the disconnect switch off. checked the switch for the outside light, it has 12volts on either side of the switch, even with the wires off the switch I have 12 volts on both. something is back feeding the outside light. not sure if the outside light is supposed to be on if the generator is running or not. has anyone had this issue. Thor tech was no help at all.
I can't be much help except for the courtesy light (outside entrance light). If you turn the light on with the Rapid Camp remote, you must turn the light off with the remote.

The light in the generator switches is controlled by the logic circuits generator's computer. I would call Cunnins Onan and explain the problem. Maybe they have a solution.
Beau388 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 09:12 PM   #3

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Welcome to the forum. My WAG is that it sounds like maybe you have a bad ground connection somewhere such that all generator start/run lamps and the outside light are now being illuminated by getting some kind of ground connection through an alternate (inappropriate) route......maybe through the outside lamp filament (or the other way around)? As Beau388 says the lamps on the generator start/stop switches are normally powered by the generator control board module I think. Not sure how the gen wiring might somehow be sharing a connection with the outside light wiring though. Any electrical work done recently or other coach changes made that might have affected the wiring / grounding etc. ?