Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-14-2021, 07:26 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #4735
actually, YOUR situation is VERY VERY rare, and is NOT a reason that somehow 'everyone' should have to run out and 'purchase' some device. You even stated that it was YOUR builder who miswired the outlet - this was NOT at a campground or rv park, which, for the most part, are all certainly wired correctly. There's always a 'possibility' that something can 'happen', as some folks will lament, but the 'probability' of that is very, very rare.

TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 07:29 PM   #22

State: New York
THOR #18586
Electric issue

I have a 2018 Hurricane 29b. My GFI in the bathroom went bad. It seems to feed the bedroom tv outlet, and some kitchen area outlets as well as the dinette tv outlet and above the couch and the fold out passenger tray.
The GFCI metered good power at both sides of the outlet but not feeding the rest of the circuits. Some GFI's last for years and years some a very short tie. Good Luck.
Old 07-14-2021, 08:20 PM   #23

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
actually, YOUR situation is VERY VERY rare, and is NOT a reason that somehow 'everyone' should have to run out and 'purchase' some device. You even stated that it was YOUR builder who miswired the outlet - this was NOT at a campground or rv park, which, for the most part, are all certainly wired correctly. There's always a 'possibility' that something can 'happen', as some folks will lament, but the 'probability' of that is very, very rare.
Campground issues are not VERY, VERY, VERY, rare. They are in fact common. Last summer I encountered 3 different parks, one county government, one military base, and one commercial RV park with bad wiring, ground faults to be exact. Perhaps you are comfortable blindly connecting to an electrical outlet, but I am not. Additionally I have been in parks, Canadian, that voltages spiked to over 135VAC. My installed EMS saved the wiring. I've been in 2 parks in AK that due to loads, voltages dropped below 107VAC and again the EMS disconnected before damages were done to electrical equipment. An EMS vs surge protector, is cheap insurance when compared to repairs to an RV electrical system caused by rather common problems at campgrounds.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 08:21 PM   #24

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by churgbob99 View Post
I have a 2018 Hurricane 29b. My GFI in the bathroom went bad. It seems to feed the bedroom tv outlet, and some kitchen area outlets as well as the dinette tv outlet and above the couch and the fold out passenger tray.
The GFCI metered good power at both sides of the outlet but not feeding the rest of the circuits. Some GFI's last for years and years some a very short tie. Good Luck.
OP didn't state if he had power at the GFCI however if he reset it yhat would indicate it was hot

Per your thoughts check the secondary terminals
Old 07-14-2021, 09:06 PM   #25
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
RV 110V sockets are insulation displacement types. The romex wire is pushed between two forked pins to push through the insulation and make the electrical contact. They can work loose and open. I had this problem in my old fifth wheel. I found the problem in a working socket that had three romex connections on each pin. The top wire was worked loose over time. I replaced the socket with a shallow old work home style box and socket. I started with all non working sockets and then the fun began to find the problem socket.

I also had a second problem with a connection in the electrical box under the slide. The twist connector worked loose between the romex and the stranded cable wire.
Old 07-15-2021, 12:19 PM   #26

Brand: Still Looking
State: Ohio
THOR #21032
Gfci

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
you have a 'tripped' GFCI circuit, check your master GFCI outlet in your bathroom - it 'controls' all the downstream outlets on the same circuit, usually in your bath, kitchen, and may even have your fridge on the same circuit. This is not a 'breaker' that is tripped, it is the OUTLET itself that has it's 'push button' to reset it.

I would also make sure you check the breaker on the pedestal at your site.

I have two outside outlets and when I plug my coffee machine and griddle into these outlets it will trip...although not immediately.

My GFCI is in the bathroom and yes it seems to control a number of outlets that must be "downstream". I had to reset the GFCI at the bathroom outlet and it solved the problem.

2011 Axis 29.1
Old 07-19-2021, 04:51 AM   #27

Model: Windsport 31S
State: Massachusetts
THOR #2450
Same issue

I recently had the same issue in Massachusetts. Half the Coach outlets had no power. The GFCI in the bathroom worked the outside outlets and the inside near the sink. The other 15 amp circuit worked the Fridge and all the TV's. That one is the one that died. Thought it was a GFCI as well but I could not find one anywhere.

Ultimately found a ground wire had broken in one of the outlets under the bed. Started with the closest one near the panel taking them apart. Found it in the second outlet under the bed. Thor tried to splice 3 wires into an area meant for 2. Added a new junction box and reinstalled all wires. I used that plug tool from Harbor Freight to identify the problem, then just followed the what seemed like a logical path for the wiring.

Hope.this helps.
Old 07-19-2021, 10:52 AM   #28

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgelmi View Post
Thanks for your thoughts. I am at a campground in Massachusetts currently on our way to the cape for about 8 days. I was hoping for an easy fix, but it may be a bit more and will have to wait until I have more time. Thanks so much.
Another one that is leaving us hanging...
Old 07-19-2021, 01:02 PM   #29

Model: Windsport 32N
State: Arizona
THOR #23246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mciampa99 View Post
I recently had the same issue in Massachusetts. Half the Coach outlets had no power. The GFCI in the bathroom worked the outside outlets and the inside near the sink. The other 15 amp circuit worked the Fridge and all the TV's. That one is the one that died. Thought it was a GFCI as well but I could not find one anywhere.

Ultimately found a ground wire had broken in one of the outlets under the bed. Started with the closest one near the panel taking them apart. Found it in the second outlet under the bed. Thor tried to splice 3 wires into an area meant for 2. Added a new junction box and reinstalled all wires. I used that plug tool from Harbor Freight to identify the problem, then just followed the what seemed like a logical path for the wiring.

Hope.this helps.
A ground wire is not needed or used by a GFCI or for a receptacle to work for that matter. A GFCI compares current flow on the hot and neutral (return) wires. You probably fixed your problem when you snugged everything up in a new box.

The descriptions of OP problem suggests a loose wire somewhere. IDK if RVs are backwired where the wire is just shoved in to the receptacle but these are notorious for working loose over time. It is not just a nuisance but is also a fire hazard if it is arcing as the connection is being made and broken. Don't ignore it. Track it down and fix as soon as possible.

The schematics at the Thor owner-resource page contain an electrical diagram that is useful in checking a circuit by see which outlets are on that circuit.
Old 07-19-2021, 06:19 PM   #30

State: California
THOR #19214
My thor 30.4 ace power dies inexpertly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgelmi View Post
We pulled in last night at an RV park and plugged in to a 30 amp post and got all set up. Later in the night plugged in the coffee pot and it started running then quit. Tried a different outlet and the same thing happened. Now a couple outlets and the fridge is not working on 110. No breakers or fuses are blown and we have power it seems on half of our RV. Any ideas what it could be?

Thanks for any help or insight.
My thor 30.4 ace had similar issues . what worked was to cycle the shore power. then disconnect the rv from shore power "connector to the rv side " reconnect the rv to shore power " making sure you actually twist the connector
it happened twice.

Next I will try to monitor power inside rv going to the power distribution box, the saga continues

Tags
electrical outlets, electrical problem, fridge 110