Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-10-2021, 11:59 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four winds
State: Michigan
THOR #24146
Electrical issues

We pulled in last night at an RV park and plugged in to a 30 amp post and got all set up. Later in the night plugged in the coffee pot and it started running then quit. Tried a different outlet and the same thing happened. Now a couple outlets and the fridge is not working on 110. No breakers or fuses are blown and we have power it seems on half of our RV. Any ideas what it could be?

Thanks for any help or insight.

Old 07-10-2021, 12:10 PM   #2

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
you have a 'tripped' GFCI circuit, check your master GFCI outlet in your bathroom - it 'controls' all the downstream outlets on the same circuit, usually in your bath, kitchen, and may even have your fridge on the same circuit. This is not a 'breaker' that is tripped, it is the OUTLET itself that has it's 'push button' to reset it.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 12:15 PM   #3

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Welcome to the forum. My first reaction is your coffee pot tripped the GFCI which is probably located in the bathroom but feeds a few select AC outlets in the coach (probably kitchen; bathroom; exterior receptacle). Reset the GFCI. When you say you moved the coffee pot and the same thing happened, do you mean it started working and then also quit......or that the second outlet was also dead? Does the microwave work fine? If not then you might want to check the campground pedistal AC is correct voltage.
Old 07-10-2021, 12:21 PM   #4

THOR #2631
Sorry TurnerFam for my apparent "followup post". I checked for other responses before posting and there was nothing, so I posted even though it now shows several minutes between our responses. This has happened before on the forum. The main thing is the OP fixes their problem.
Old 07-10-2021, 12:25 PM   #5

THOR #24146
Thanks both. I did check the GCFI in the bathroom and it wasn’t tripped. I did a reset anyway and no change. Is there/could there be another GCFI?
Old 07-10-2021, 12:29 PM   #6

THOR #24146
The microwave does work as well.
Old 07-10-2021, 12:34 PM   #7

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Hi do you have an inverter on?
Does surge protector show good full power closed circuits?
You are 30a and not 50?
Does unplugging and running generator work?
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 12:43 PM   #8

THOR #24146
I am 30 amp plug in, no surge protector, doesn’t work with generator on... I don’t think I have an inverter on—how would I check for an inverter on?? Thanks.
Old 07-10-2021, 01:43 PM   #9

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Check converter issue posts..I saw some get parts and fix
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 02:03 PM   #10

THOR #24146
Thanks... I did some checking and there may be a reset or fuse on the converter that needs to be checked. I will see what I find out.
Old 07-10-2021, 02:15 PM   #11
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgelmi View Post
Thanks... I did some checking and there may be a reset or fuse on the converter that needs to be checked. I will see what I find out.
Your converter has no effect on 120 VAC outlets.

There may be a second GFCI outlet, look at all of them including the outside outlet. You may also have a wiring issue at an outlet that effects downstream outlets.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 03:53 PM   #12

THOR #24146
Good thought... I can only find the one GFCI in the bathroom. I am going to try to find a wire schematic for the 2007 four winns and see if that gives me another one somewhere. I really have it narrowed down to four 110 plugs not working while plugged in.. all on the driver side of the RV. One of those the refrigerator is on. Any other thoughts or ideas? Any ideas on the best source for a four winns wire schematic? Thanks
Old 07-10-2021, 05:41 PM   #13

THOR #2631
It is likely the four dead receptacles are multipled together and either directly fed from one 15 amp AC breaker in the main panel or sub fed from a fifth (possibly working) receptacle also on that same breaker. So Thor likes to save money and would likely feed all these receptacles in order from the one breaker and so the closest dead receptacle to the breaker panel might be a good one to open and check for good tight connections coming from either the AC feeder breaker directly......or from a possible fifth working receptacle that I would guess might be located logically between the breaker panel and the first closest (of four) dead receptacles. You might also need to open the breaker panel and check that the 15 amp breaker hot and neutral wiring is good and all connections are tight. Make sure your shore and gen are off for safety, since you are just checking for broken or loose connections at this point.
Old 07-11-2021, 12:19 AM   #14

THOR #24146
Thanks for your thoughts. I am at a campground in Massachusetts currently on our way to the cape for about 8 days. I was hoping for an easy fix, but it may be a bit more and will have to wait until I have more time. Thanks so much.
Old 07-11-2021, 01:36 AM   #15

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #15798
You could try a 'circuit tracer' and back trace from the socket farthest from the breaker panel. Harbor freight as a cheap but OK tracer if you have a HF close by. The big box hardware stores have better ones but for the few times I use it, HF is OK and cheaper. DISCONNECT SHORE POWER AND ENSURE GENERATOR IS OFF. IF YOU HAVE AN INVERTER DISCONNECT HOUSE BATTERY. connect the tone generator to the socket farthest distance away from the breaker and start working backwards going to each socket in turn to see if you get the tone. when the tone stops you found your break. Search HF for "cable tracker" or "Circuit Breaker Detective"
Old 07-11-2021, 03:40 AM   #16

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Quote:
We pulled in last night at an RV park and plugged in to a 30 amp post and got all set up. Later in the night plugged in the coffee pot and it started running then quit. Tried a different outlet and the same thing happened. Now a couple outlets and the fridge is not working on 110. No breakers or fuses are blown and we have power it seems on half of our RV. Any ideas what it could be?

Thanks for any help or insight.
My first thought was a loose connection in that circuit. Is it possible the failed outlets are on a slide? They transition from solid wire to stranded cabtire for the moving slide portion and those connections can loosen.
Again, that was my first thought on this topic....
Old 07-11-2021, 04:07 AM   #17

State: California
THOR #15798
Quote:
Good thought... I can only find the one GFCI in the bathroom. I am going to try to find a wire schematic for the 2007 four winns and see if that gives me another one somewhere. I really have it narrowed down to four 110 plugs not working while plugged in.. all on the driver side of the RV. One of those the refrigerator is on. Any other thoughts or ideas? Any ideas on the best source for a four winns wire schematic? Thanks
Just a silly late night thought. Have you manually reset all your 110 breakers? Sometime they can look like they didnt trip but they actually have. Another thought, if you have 110V tester, check the output of all the breakers. A breaker can go bad.

Good Luck. no coffee in the morning is NOT some thing to wake up to!
Old 07-11-2021, 12:22 PM   #18

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by terencgb1 View Post
Just a silly late night thought. Have you manually reset all your 110 breakers? Sometime they can look like they didnt trip but they actually have. Another thought, if you have 110V tester, check the output of all the breakers. A breaker can go bad.

Good Luck. no coffee in the morning is NOT some thing to wake up to!
Not a silly thought at all. I was just getting to post that suggestion but checked to see if it was already addressed. Circuit Breakers get weak over time and as you suggested, it can LOOK on but in fact be tripped.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 07:09 PM   #19

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Your converter has no effect on 120 VAC outlets.

There may be a second GFCI outlet, look at all of them including the outside outlet. You may also have a wiring issue at an outlet that effects downstream outlets.
Could be an outside outlet with a GFI ??? Check that; Bob Trice
Old 07-14-2021, 07:12 PM   #20

State: Arizona
THOR #11915
It is a huge gamble to operate without a surge protector. We plugged into a new 30 amp RV plug installed by an electrical contractor in a new RV garage. The “electrician” had wired it to 220 breaker, even though it was in the metal RV storage box with a big sticker on it not to wire to 220. It fried everything in our trailer that was on when we plugged in-tv (it is partially on even before you turn it on), refrigerator (burned out the electrical board as it automatically switched from propane to electric when plugged in, it ran on propane for the rest of our trip), etc.
Several thousand dollars and weeks later every thing had to be checked and repaired/replaced. Luckily the builder paid the bill. We purchased a surge protector immediately. We have found that campground electric systems are sometimes sketchy-no ground wired, reverse polarity, power surges, etc. We were lucky it wasn’t our Vegas because there are a lot more TVs and other things that could have cost thousands more to fix.

Tags
electrical outlets, electrical problem, fridge 110