Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-03-2022, 01:28 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #25882
Electrical issues

I have a 2014 Miramar 34.1. About two weeks ago, my house batteries started to set the low voltage alarm off on my inverter every few hours. I am plugged into shore power but I noticed my inverter is running off of the batteries, not utility. Everything that runs off DC power is fine, my converter seemed to be working ok, other than not charging the house batteries adequately. I tested the output from the converter and got 13v, so I’m pretty sure something is wrong with the converter. I am not sure why my inverter is running off the batteries though because, like I said, I am plugged in to shore power. I can start the RV and charge the house batteries with the alternator and they’re good for a few hours but the fridge drains them. The fridge, TVs, and two outlets are affected by this issue. I have everything but the fridge unplugged so the batteries don’t get drained as fast, but I feel like nothing should be running off the batteries since I’m plugged in. Would the fact that my converter is not putting out enough power cause all of these problems or do I have more than one issue going on? I have a mobile tech coming out, but they can’t get there until next Friday. I am trying to fix it before then so I can stop wasting my gas. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-03-2022, 04:18 PM   #2

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Have you checked your ATS? Grab the VOM and get some data

Inverter should be pass through so other than charging not the issue
Old 02-03-2022, 04:38 PM   #3

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
It does sound like you have lost your AC power. Check the pedestal and house panel breakers by flipping them off completely and then back and as mentioned, give the ATS a once over, better with a voltmeter. Run the generator to see if things run normally.
Old 02-03-2022, 04:59 PM   #4

THOR #25882
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWEB View Post
It does sound like you have lost your AC power. Check the pedestal and house panel breakers by flipping them off completely and then back and as mentioned, give the ATS a once over, better with a voltmeter. Run the generator to see if things run normally.
Checking the ats was my next step. I ran the generator and had the same issues with the batteries. The batteries are three months old and test fine after the alternator charges them and the inverter is off. Once the inverter is turned back on and the fridge starts pulling power, I literally watch the voltage drop on my meter.
Old 02-03-2022, 05:18 PM   #5

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyH View Post
Checking the ats was my next step. I ran the generator and had the same issues with the batteries. The batteries are three months old and test fine after the alternator charges them and the inverter is off. Once the inverter is turned back on and the fridge starts pulling power, I literally watch the voltage drop on my meter.
Your fridge should run on 120v shore power with the inverter off

Sure sounds like no shore power
Old 02-03-2022, 05:41 PM   #6

THOR #25882
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
Your fridge should run on 120v shore power with the inverter off

I have shore power. I tested that at the converter all good going in, not enough coming out to charge the batteries. 13v coming out of converter. If I unplug shore power, everything shuts off. I’m 90% sure the converter needs to be replaced and possibly the ATS. I just wanted to see if anyone else had any ideas of what it could be.
Old 02-03-2022, 05:46 PM   #7
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
I have a 2014 Miramar 34.1. About two weeks ago, my house batteries started to set the low voltage alarm off on my inverter every few hours. I am plugged into shore power but I noticed my inverter is running off of the batteries, not utility. Everything that runs off DC power is fine, my converter seemed to be working ok, other than not charging the house batteries adequately. I tested the output from the converter and got 13v, so I’m pretty sure something is wrong with the converter. I am not sure why my inverter is running off the batteries though because, like I said, I am plugged in to shore power. I can start the RV and charge the house batteries with the alternator and they’re good for a few hours but the fridge drains them. The fridge, TVs, and two outlets are affected by this issue. I have everything but the fridge unplugged so the batteries don’t get drained as fast, but I feel like nothing should be running off the batteries since I’m plugged in. Would the fact that my converter is not putting out enough power cause all of these problems or do I have more than one issue going on? I have a mobile tech coming out, but they can’t get there until next Friday. I am trying to fix it before then so I can stop wasting my gas. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
It's good to have meters. 13 VDC out of the converter is "no bueno". You should have 13.6 or above.

So you could have several things going on. Lets eliminate the easiest first:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
That's easy enough to figure out. Does the microwave and both Air Conditioners work? If so, you got SP into the coach.

Now, did you read the 13 VDC on the output of the Converter (DC buss) or at the batteries? If at the batteries you could have a good converter but have a disconnect between the DC buss and the batteries so they don't get charged by the batteries. If at the Converter - you probably have a bad converter.

I assume you have a factory inverter and residential fridge? If so, and you do indeed have SP into the coach, the inverter should not be drawing power from the batteries. If the inverter's integrated ATS is bad so it doesn't select SP when available that would cause these symptoms. Thing is: you could have had this problem for awhile and never noticed it as long as your Converter was operating properly. You could work around this as you are troubleshooting by plugging the fridge into a non-inverter supplied outlet, maybe with an extension cord.

But your immediate problem is figuring out what's going on with the converter. Don't forget to check/cycle the breaker for the converter in the power center and check the reverse polarity fuses on the DC side (or on the converter if it is standalone)
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 06:58 PM   #8

THOR #25882
Microwave, both ACs work. I definitely have SP.
The 13v came off the converter. I have cycled the breaker and checked the fuses. I definitely think the converter is bad. It is 55amp, I bought a new one, but it is 60amp…would that be ok to do or should I return and get a 55amp?
I have a xantrex pro xm1800 inverter and a residential fridge. I’m hoping replacing the converter will fix the battery charging issue, but I would like to not really use those batteries like they’re being used now since I am plugged into SP. is there a way to test the integrated ATS in the inverter? I am really trying to figure all of this out before the rv tech gets there so I can just fix it myself and not have to have a stranger come out. Thank you for your help!
Old 02-03-2022, 07:23 PM   #9
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Microwave, both ACs work. I definitely have SP.
The 13v came off the converter. I have cycled the breaker and checked the fuses. I definitely think the converter is bad. It is 55amp, I bought a new one, but it is 60amp…would that be ok to do or should I return and get a 55amp?
I have a xantrex pro xm1800 inverter and a residential fridge. I’m hoping replacing the converter will fix the battery charging issue, but I would like to not really use those batteries like they’re being used now since I am plugged into SP. is there a way to test the integrated ATS in the inverter? I am really trying to figure all of this out before the rv tech gets there so I can just fix it myself and not have to have a stranger come out. Thank you for your help!
60 amp is fine.

If plugged into SP and the Power Center breaker that supplies the Inverter AC side is ON (might want to cycle that one too). then simply turn the inverter off or open the DC breaker to the inverter. Is the fridge still on? Then SP is passing through the inverter. If off?

Add the inverter to your todo list or buy an external inverter ATS and wire it in.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004S5Y158/
Old 02-03-2022, 07:42 PM   #10

THOR #25882
I’ve done all of that…fridge does not run unless on the inverter. There is an external ATS by the SP outlet. It has lights if something is wrong but none of it is working from what I can tell. There are no lights on it at all. It is a model 41260 Transfer Switch.
I bought this thing in November…it is my first RV and I am living in it full time so I can travel when I am ready and the rv is working properly so if some of the terms I use are incorrect, I apologize…I’ve had a crash course (Google and YouTube) in RV electronics over the last two weeks lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7A0BD416-1AF8-459A-B711-E815B55A344E.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	36005  
Old 02-03-2022, 08:25 PM   #11
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
I’ve done all of that…fridge does not run unless on the inverter. There is an external ATS by the SP outlet. It has lights if something is wrong but none of it is working from what I can tell. There are no lights on it at all. It is a model 41260 Transfer Switch.
I bought this thing in November…it is my first RV and I am living in it full time so I can travel when I am ready and the rv is working properly so if some of the terms I use are incorrect, I apologize…I’ve had a crash course (Google and YouTube) in RV electronics over the last two weeks lol
That's your Generator/SP ATS. Completely different animal.
Old 02-03-2022, 08:30 PM   #12

THOR #25882
Ok. That’s what I thought. So it looks like I need to buy and inverter as well as replace the converter that I already bought but am too chicken to install lol
Thank you!!!
Old 02-03-2022, 08:52 PM   #13

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
If your dealer installed hybrid marine cranking batteries, which is normal, rather than deep cycles & you've discharged them a few times while having your problems they are most likely ruined & won't hold a charge. Remove them & have your local auto parts store load test them.
There's also been a few posts lately about the shore power ATS being fried. I'd remove the cover to give it a look & tighten lugs at the very least.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 08:05 PM   #14

THOR #2228
Quote:
There is a small and I mean really small square breaker under the bed. The reset is not much bigger than a pencil head. The breaker is about 1.5" square and resets the converter. I drilled a hole through the bed wall next to the breaker panel so I can just reset when it trips. Drove me nuts 4 years taking the bed apart when it trpped.

Tags
converter, house batteries, inverter, shore power