Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 01-05-2020, 07:34 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 34J
State: South Carolina
THOR #13131
electrical issues with Hurricane 34L 2015

I replaced one of the house batteries on my 2015 Hurricane.
There are 2 12 volt house batteries. One had a bad cell and I replaced that battery. 3 cells on the other battery were low on water and I filled them.
I have replace the batteries before with no issues. This time I had to replace the solenoid ( because I don't know how to spell trom.....)that lets the alternator charge the house batteries. when we started the motor with the new solenoid installed the motor ran for a few minutes and then cut off. did this 2 times. Checked the solenoid and it was hot. Also I have no power to the batteries. I have checked every fuse and breaker except the ones under the hood. All are good.

Before my annual bicycle ride from Greenville to Maine for cancer I charged the batteries with a new charger. It has auto 6 and 2 amp charge and a 20 amp charge. It used the 20 amp to charge the batteries and turned off automatically. We had issues with the house batteries not charging on that trip as we had to keep jumping the generator off if we didn't turn it on about every 1.5 to 2 hours.

Any ideas as to what is happening?

Old 01-05-2020, 10:01 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
The trombetta solenoid is normally hot when energized. Otherwise I have no crystal ball answers for you.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 01:57 PM   #3

Model: windsport hurricane 34f
State: Tennessee
THOR #9067
Sounds like trombetta or bird relay(small black box) near trombetta.the bird controls the trombetta.ive had to replce my bird twice.test with a volt meter.if any batts are charging by any means,2 mins later the bird tells trombetta to close and connect all batts,if any bat is discharging trombetta should open circuit to sep batteries.emergency switch bypasses bird and closes the cicuit in trombetta
Old 01-06-2020, 07:59 PM   #4

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Florida
THOR #2154
I don't have any suggestions regarding the solenoid issue specifically, but with two 12-volt batteries in parallel and one is replaced, it is always best to replace BOTH batteries. Both batteries must be identical as much as possible in type and in age. If one battery is "weak" it will soon have an effect on the new battery and you might end up with two bad batteries (again).

By the way, unless you measure voltage on EACH of the two batteries with them disconnected from each other, you won't be able to know if one or the other battery is weak. And measuring voltage (or assuming) after a fresh recharge doesn't tell the whole story. Best to use a hydrometer and/or a load check meter to learn if the battery needs to be replaced.

If you already know all of this; sorry but maybe it would help someone else also.

Tom
Old 01-07-2020, 02:34 PM   #5

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Moon Milt View Post
I replaced one of the house batteries on my 2015 Hurricane.
There are 2 12 volt house batteries. One had a bad cell and I replaced that battery. 3 cells on the other battery were low on water and I filled them.

Sounds like the house batteries are being overcharged (too high voltage for too long). Does your converter charge the house batteries when on shore power OK? Check charging voltages with your voltmeter.

I have replace the batteries before with no issues.

This is a 2015 coach and you have replaced the house batteries twice already? Maybe you need to check into replacing the converter with a better quality unit?

This time I had to replace the solenoid ( because I don't know how to spell trom.....)that lets the alternator charge the house batteries.

So you replaced the Trombetta relay because you were not seeing alternator charging voltage on the house batteries when engine was running? Are you sure you have the Intellitec battery charge system (BIRD controller with Trombetta interconnect relay......as opposed to an RV Custom BCC box in the engine bay, driver side near grill?). Just trying to clarify which system you have for sure.

when we started the motor with the new solenoid installed the motor ran for a few minutes and then cut off. did this 2 times. Checked the solenoid and it was hot. Also I have no power to the batteries. I have checked every fuse and breaker except the ones under the hood. All are good.

So new Trobetta (interconnect relay) was hot which should indicate it has operated, but you do not measure any voltage on either side of the main Trombetta relay contacts? Not sure why the motor would stop; have you checked your chassis battery voltage and condition lately. I would temporarily disconnect the Trombetta low voltage coil wire (the one that turns the relay on/off); make sure the wire does not short to anything; then measure the voltage on your chassis battery with engine off and engine running to see if that battery is good (12.6 vdc is full charge engine off) and probably 13vdc to 14.5vdc with engine running and alternator charging.

Before my annual bicycle ride from Greenville to Maine for cancer I charged the batteries with a new charger. It has auto 6 and 2 amp charge and a 20 amp charge. It used the 20 amp to charge the batteries and turned off automatically. We had issues with the house batteries not charging on that trip as we had to keep jumping the generator off if we didn't turn it on about every 1.5 to 2 hours.

Don't understand this part. You used a new stand alone battery charger directly connected onto the house batteries so they would be able to start the generator...... to keep your house batteries charged?

Any ideas as to what is happening?

Sounds like you need to use your voltmeter to analyze your whole charging system including when on shore; when on gen and when on alternator.......and the condition of all house and chassis batteries when at rest (not charging and unloaded for a few hours before taking voltage measurements).
Attaching a basic view of the Intellitec battery charge system. The Trombetta (name brand) is the interconnect relay on the diagram. If this is what you have it might help you visualize the battery/relay connections.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BIRD Basic Schematic.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	22108