Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2019, 09:17 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #15608
Angry Electrical mystery

Having an electrical issue on 2015 Thor Tuscany 44MT on the GFI 15 amp circuits. There is only one reset/test outlet in the half bath which I replaced and then removed the replacement wiring direct.
The main bath outlet and the overhead sink outlet are working.
The outlets in bedroom under the tv and outside mounted on the cabinet are dead as well as the outlets in overhead compartment over driver seat and the outlet for the front TV.
Perhaps these outlets burned out as I heard a pop up front when I turned on the front TV.
I have talked to Thor Tech support at length, as well as, a Master Electrician that I know in San Antonio.
The Electrician believes that there must be a loose wire on the neutral side.
I show voltage and amperage at these outlets but they will not power the device that is plugged into the out.

Old 07-31-2019, 10:15 PM   #2

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
yep, sounds like a loose wire in one of the outlets, somewhere in the chain... only you can figure this out : )

(that's 'assuming' that all these are on the same GFCI circuit, if not, then it could also go all the way back to the circuit breaker)
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 11:12 PM   #3

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Welcome to the forum. Attaching a basic GFCI outlet schematic example which has two downstream common outlets wired to the GFCI Load terminal in order to also ground fault protect them. Of course you could have more than two downstream outlets which sounds perhaps like what you have.
Do you have more than one GFCI outlet (with the reset/test buttons mounted on it/them) in your coach? If yes, then as TurnerFam says you may have more than one GFCI circuit protecting some of the other dead outlets in your coach too. Check all 120VAC breakers are not tripped and that all GFCI receptacles are reset. Breakers can sometimes trip but still look like they are on/up.....if in doubt click them off then on again.

Can you clarify the following:

What did you mean by “I replaced and then removed the replacement wiring direct”

“I show voltage and amperage at these outlets but they will not power the device that is plugged into the out”. Do you mean you can measure 120VAC across the line and neutral terminals of a “dead outlet”, but when you plug a TV into that outlet, the TV won’t work?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GFI CCT Protecting Load Wired Receptacles.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	19322  
Old 07-31-2019, 11:59 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by liz48@me.com View Post
I show voltage and amperage at these outlets but they will not power the device that is plugged into the out.
How do you show amperage without a load connected?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 03:34 PM   #5

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Having an electrical issue on 2015 Thor Tuscany 44MT on the GFI 15 amp circuits. There is only one reset/test outlet in the half bath which I replaced and then removed the replacement wiring direct.
The outlets in bedroom under the tv and outside mounted on the cabinet are dead as well as the outlets in overhead compartment over driver seat and the outlet for the front TV.
Perhaps these outlets burned out as I heard a pop up front when I turned on the front TV.
I have talked to Thor Tech support at length, as well as, a Master Electrician that I know in San Antonio.
Are you missing a GFCI some where? I had the TV outlet trip the circuit breaker due to the tech / worker running/wrapping the power cord around the televator mechanism

I do have the GFCI in the 1/2 bath as well but not sure about the master, never any issues so not much help here
Old 08-02-2019, 01:39 AM   #6

Model: Hurricane 31D
State: Virginia
THOR #5638
The outlets that are not working might be associated with an inverter considering their location, near the TVs. Wouldn't hurt to verify the inverter is working properly and the wiring terminals are all tight with good contact.

The GFI in the bathroom normally is only tied to the down stream kitchen counter and exterior outlets where there is the possibility of encountering water and unlikely to be used or associated with the dead outlets as described.

Try cycling all the AC circuit breakers by turning each fully off then back on. If you heard a pop it could have been a short that tripped a breaker but the breaker may not look tripped. Cycling will correct or it will trip a second time which you should feel when you turn back on. Also, if your coach has one, check the inverter which will have small round circuit breakers that will pop out when tripped.

Also, could you describe how you are measuring volts and amps at the dead outlets and how many volts and amps do you see on the meter? If you have volts between the hot and ground but not between the hot and neutral sides of the outlet the problem as described would confirm the Electricians theory of an open neutral.
Old 08-02-2019, 12:02 PM   #7

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
Quote:
With the big 44 foot buss, I can guaranty you have 2 or more GFI protection devices. If you heard a pop up front that is when I would start looking. Some have two GFI outlets in the bath. look around. Behind doors. sides of vanity's.

Basement storage areas also are GFI protected. Some coaches have a GFI breaker in the panel. It will have a yellow reset button on it.

I am a 45 year Master Electrician and do not understand "removed replacement wiring direct."

How did you measure amps with out voltage??

There is a GFI outlet on the inverter which probably controls the TV's. Hint hint.
Old 08-02-2019, 12:04 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Since they've got the mystery well-covered: Welcome to the Forum!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 01:02 PM   #9

THOR #15608
I had a Mobile Rv Tech who found & identified a junction box located in underneath storage on the drivers side immediate adjacent to tank value compartment.
This junction box shows 80 volts on the neutral and is a matter of feet away from the control panel which the Tech said is on breaker labeled TV receptacles which shows normal voltage .
The Tech stated that in order to gain access there he would need to disassemble the tank control panel.
Since this was at road side park he indicated that the coach should go into the shop.
Old 08-06-2019, 11:48 AM   #10

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
Please come back in here and let us all know what was found to correct the situation once it gets fixed.
Old 08-18-2019, 05:56 PM   #11

Model: 45AT
THOR #5165
I had a 2015 Tuscany 45AT and basically the same issue happened to me. In my case it was a short found in an electric junction box located on the ceiling in the bay compartment (located on the driver side next to the central vac).
Old 08-18-2019, 06:29 PM   #12

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by sthibaul View Post
I had a 2015 Tuscany 45AT and basically the same issue happened to me. In my case it was a short found in an electric junction box located on the ceiling in the bay compartment (located on the driver side next to the central vac).
I have the two outlets there with one being for the central vac. The load management system will shut down one of the outlets if you approach 50 amps.

So far no actual wiring issues
Old 08-20-2019, 12:51 AM   #13

State: New York
THOR #12610
Buy a cheap plug in tester that will let you know if neutral missing or wiring reversed. Go down the line and it will tell you starting point. I used to troubleshoot problems with big hi-tech instruments but the best tools I had were -chirp tester(pen), $9.37 volt meter from harbor freight, and my wifes hair drier(don't tell her!) I could follow wiring with chirp tester and find burnt wiring and open connections. I used hair dryer to load up circuit then check for low voltage. Some times need load.

Tags
electrical, gfi, tuscany