Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2020, 01:10 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 34J
State: New Jersey
THOR #5481
Tire Pressure Question

What PSI do you use to fill your tires? Do you set the front tires and rear tires the same?

We have a Thor WindSport 34J, and are trying to figure out the best PSI for our tires. We take a typical amount of gear with us (nothing excessively heavy), drive only paved roads and camp sites, and take about 3-4 trips per season (we're not full time).

Thanks!

Old 07-01-2020, 01:41 AM   #2

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
If your tires are Michelin, they have a section on their website that will give you suggested PSI for your rig.

I found that their recommendation is the same as the chart that Thor puts inside the coach. Sometimes it is on the wall near the driver, sometimes in a closet. The suggested PSI will be for fronts and rears, usually different.
Old 07-01-2020, 02:15 AM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterLa View Post
What PSI do you use to fill your tires? Do you set the front tires and rear tires the same?

We have a Thor WindSport 34J, and are trying to figure out the best PSI for our tires. We take a typical amount of gear with us (nothing excessively heavy), drive only paved roads and camp sites, and take about 3-4 trips per season (we're not full time).

Thanks!
The best PSI is what the tire manufacturer recommends based on the rigs loaded weight. Load your coach and then take it across a scale to get the weight and then go to the tire manufacturers tables for PSI. vs weight.

I, for example, run my Michelin tires at 105 PSI rather than the sticker recommended 110. This is based on my CAT scale weight. Doing this has also resulted in a somewhat smoother ride as well.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 07:51 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: California
THOR #2544
Stock Tire recommended for me is 80 PSI based on 4 corner weights. I run all six the same PSI
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 08:37 PM   #5

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
If your tires are Michelin, they have a section on their website that will give you suggested PSI for your rig.

I found that their recommendation is the same as the chart that Thor puts inside the coach. Sometimes it is on the wall near the driver, sometimes in a closet. The suggested PSI will be for fronts and rears, usually different.

That michelin chart, as I learned form an engineer at Yokohama, is numbers that are put out by some wheel and tire professional association.... I've forgotten the name now... Anyway those are standard numbers based on tire size, and will work for any brand...it's just that some companies publish the numbers and some don't...Michelin chose to publish them....

when in doubt, fill it to the max suggested in the door post. Ride and handling will suffer at lighter weights...but that's the safe move.
Get weights...each axle or better each corner... then by that chart you can reduce the pressure with lighter loads for better ride and handling.
Old 07-03-2020, 04:39 PM   #6

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #8180
Follow what the vehicle sticker says. If you have/get a TPMS you’ll see once you begin driving and the tires heat up that pressure changes 10-15 psi. So to say set your tires for weight scale....bull hockey. Few miles down the road they won’t be anywhere near where you set them cold. In some cases could be overinflated.

Tags
psi, tire monitoring, tire pressure