Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-28-2021, 03:28 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
Posts: 1,305
THOR #2631
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Yes both workarounds work. For kicks I was gonna try to see how low the draw was for the LED / pre amp only (using my digital readout in hundreds of KWs from inverter; so I purposely make sure Chassis is ON and USE/STORE in Store mode. And the LED light did NOT come on!!! So I press wall plate button thinking making I had the switch on cable, but it stayed dark. I then go to the Inverter remote and try to turn it on and it does not come on!!! So at that moment everything appeared to be working. I switched to USE mode and the LED came on and I was able to turn on Inverter.


I am curious how your inverter is actually wired. It should be direct connected to the coach batteries via an appropriately sized inverter fuse and not pass through the use/store latching relay for its 12vdc supply.


However, when I turned the USE back off; the LED for ant stayed on, and I was able to turn on Inverter again This was about 2 hours after the Test above in previous post. I don't know if this is repeatable? I may try to start it again with the Chassis battery disconnected to see ?


Maybe the large electrolytic caps inside the inverter are somehow maintaining a 12vdc voltage on the 12v load bus even after the use/store is turned off again? I would assume other coach loads would discharge this capacitor voltage quickly.....but if no other loads exist other than the ant LED and preamp......trivial current loads? What happens if you recreate this entire scenario, except turn on coach lights and other 12vdc coach battery loads? I would also check your inverter 12vdc wiring, and if it is running through use/store I would be surprised......you would need a very heavy duty coach battery latching relay (inverter + coach loads) unless its a very small inverter.


I agree the LED & Pre amp is likely not pulling enough to worry about, but I am very curious now. I also have to account for the fact that if I do got to store mode and inadvertently left the the inverter on, I could be drawing who knows what on the inverter circuit? I don't think the latter will happen because we don't leave the inverter switch on even though it will switch automatically.

Interesting problem and maybe eventually you will find that something else is mis-wired, or is providing this 12vdc voltage via a non-obvious path.

__________________
javelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 01:24 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
dkoldman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
Posts: 2,152
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin View Post

I am curious how your inverter is actually wired. It should be direct connected to the coach batteries via an appropriately sized inverter fuse and not pass through the use/store latching relay for its 12vdc supply.

Post #8 the pdf Battery Installation is best diagram I could find. I have been studying that as well as looking all inside that battery compartment.

It is direct connected in a way, because there are two heavy duty positive leads coming from House batteries. One goes through a fuse block and then on toward the hydraulic jacks. The other I believe must feed the main 12vdc supply. It is goes through a Littelfuse CNN150 (150amp) fuse. I am sure that is enough to cover everything.



Maybe the large electrolytic caps inside the inverter are somehow maintaining a 12vdc voltage on the 12v load bus even after the use/store is turned off again? I would assume other coach loads would discharge this capacitor voltage quickly.....but if no other loads exist other than the ant LED and preamp......trivial current loads? What happens if you recreate this entire scenario, except turn on coach lights and other 12vdc coach battery loads? I would also check your inverter 12vdc wiring, and if it is running through use/store I would be surprised......you would need a very heavy duty coach battery latching relay (inverter + coach loads) unless its a very small inverter.

I don't think capacitors are holding the charge because if I disconnect the Chassis battery it shuts down immediately. If the inverter is NOT on, EVERYTHING on 12vdc will shut off immediately except the ant/cable switch. It is Magnum 1000Watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter with remote inside.


Interesting problem and maybe eventually you will find that something else is mis-wired, or is providing this 12vdc voltage via a non-obvious path.

I am pretty confident nothing is miswired in Battery Compartment. I have pictures of that compartment when it was brand new, about 6 months ago, few weeks ago and what I see today. It all follows suit with the Battery Installation drawing. Only difference is Chassis disconnect switch

New info...

1. Winnebago confirmed that the STORE switch should shut down Inverter and Ant/Cable Switch
2. One RV owner of my coach a 2 year older model confirms it shuts down his Inverter as well
3. Winnebago had me disconnect the ground on House battery and both the Inverter & ant/cable switch shut down immediately

So I am down to the FACT that for some reason the switch which we know works when it activates the Solenoid to open the disconnect switch, some how it is either not working properly OR maybe the solenoid is just in front of all of the 12vdc fuse panel and somehow the connection for the Inverter and the ant/cable is incorrectly wired in front of solenoid? I can't find that solenoid to check that theory

The other theory is somehow the Aux Start Switch allows for some current backflow? But I can't find that either

I can't give up I did call my dealer and tell them what Winnebago said, so eventually if I can't figure it out it may have to go back to Dealer and look at. If so; I am out of Mfg warranty; and I did not buy the ESP. Therefore, if I have to pay out of pocket it will be the 1st repair I would have to pay in 18 months. I knew I should have bought a Thor
__________________
2019 Sunstar 29VE Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; Nighthawk X4 AC2200 WiFi EX7300; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 03:57 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
Posts: 1,305
THOR #2631
Well I assume the Winni techs should know their own electrical systems but maybe the factory did something "different" somewhere? I would have “guessed” the two coach (house) battery +12 cables you describe would have been one via a 100 Amp reset-able breaker (typical) feeding hydraulic pump motor; the gen start solenoid/relay and via a secondary 50 amp reset-able breaker, the use/store latch relay to ultimately feed the coach fuse panel/converter connection; the second coach battery cable (via the 150 amp fuse) feeding your 1000 watt inverter (assuming 80% efficient – say 1200 watts @12vdc = 100 Amps full load WAG). But turning off use/store kills all coach battery loads and inverter......all, except the ant/cable switch LED......only if the chassis battery is still connected.


The most interesting “new info” comment is #3: removing the coach (house) battery ground connection kills inverter and ant/cable LED. I assume this is under your test situation where the use/store is off (store) and chassis battery is still connected? If yes, it tells me that somehow the coach battery is still sourcing the voltage to operate the ant/cable LED. Any way to easily remove the physical ground connection (temporarily) from your inverter only and leave all else ? Lets isolate DC voltage sources. Try your tests again.
__________________
javelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 08:51 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
dkoldman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
Posts: 2,152
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin View Post
Well I assume the Winni techs should know their own electrical systems but maybe the factory did something "different" somewhere? I would have “guessed” the two coach (house) battery +12 cables you describe would have been one via a 100 Amp reset-able breaker (typical) feeding hydraulic pump motor; the gen start solenoid/relay and via a secondary 50 amp reset-able breaker, the use/store latch relay to ultimately feed the coach fuse panel/converter connection;

You seem to be very smart to assume anything from a Winni Tech
The people I have talked to thus far are front line Customer Service Support Agents. The way I see at the moment.

1. The drawing of wiring may be wrong
2. What they are telling me may be wrong
3. The coach may have a defective part or was miswired at the factory

But I will stick with you and lay out the facts as I see them to be. I wish to know how this ends

In this coach, I don't believe there are ANY Breakers in the battery compartment (under door steps). The breakers are all on the opposite side of Steps (Driver side) in a compartment with a nice breaker panel. I have not pulled the panel yet but it clearly says the Solenoid and the Battery Disconnect is behind it That is where you will see Hydraulic Pump breaker, slide breaker etc.


the second coach battery cable (via the 150 amp fuse) feeding your 1000 watt inverter (assuming 80% efficient – say 1200 watts @12vdc = 100 Amps full load WAG).

Yes the coach battery cable that flows through the CNN150 Fuse appears to go down the passenger side of coach toward the location of Magnum 1000 Inverter in lower compartment; as well as the Progressive Dynamics Charger which is inside of coach under a dining bench. It is also the location of all of the light DC resettable breakers.


But turning off use/store kills all coach battery loads and inverter......all, except the ant/cable switch LED......only if the chassis battery is still connected.

No, that sentence is not 100% correct. I will restate what you were saying to 100% correct.
But turning off use/store kills all coach battery loads......all, except the inverter & ant/cable switch LED......only if the chassis battery is still connected.
The most interesting “new info” comment is #3: removing the coach (house) battery ground connection kills inverter and ant/cable LED. I assume this is under your test situation where the use/store is off (store) and chassis battery is still connected? YES If yes, it tells me that somehow the coach battery is still sourcing the voltage to operate the ant/cable LED. and the Inverter Any way to easily remove the physical ground connection (temporarily) from your inverter only and leave all else & Try your tests again.? Lets isolate DC voltage sources. It is not easy, but if it is test you suggest, I will do? I have removed it before, just to see what was behind it I have to remove a metal panel or wall from within one of the lower compartments. When the rain stops, I can go pull it. This weekend at the latest. But remember the Inverter is still getting power too when Coach Battery is OFF & Chassis battery ON. It has simply been the fact that 99/100 the Inverter was already OFF when I may have turned off the Coach Battery switch and never noticed it until this week.
My new info and progress made from reading your feedback above.

1. Last night I followed both of the positive cables as far as I could. I made an assumption that positive for Inverter was going to the main DC Breaker panel with Hydraulics, but I now believe I was wrong. I thought so because there is place for Inverter breaker but I noticed today with better light that it is empty

#2 I was thinking that either my Battery Disconnect Relay, or Solenoid were bad. I found the part numbers to replace each; but I was going to next try to figure out how to test them to ensure they work.

#3 But now it begins to seems to me why the Inverter may NOT turn OFF with the Coach Battery Switch because the positive feed for Inverter may not pass direct through that Disconnect Relay? I wish I could find where the positive cable to the Inverter ends and if there is in fact a Inverter breaker that is currently unknown to me? It would be a clue and maybe it is in wall behind the Inverter?

This is really puzzling to me. My brain gets fried every time I remember that turning OFF the Chassis batteries in addition to Coach Battery being off it will actually turn OFF Inverter and Ant / Cable
__________________
2019 Sunstar 29VE Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; Nighthawk X4 AC2200 WiFi EX7300; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 09:07 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
dkoldman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
Posts: 2,152
THOR #13058
Here is a theory or guess... from my days of reverse engineering

What if somehow the solenoid was defective. I don't know what a defective solenoid does or does not do; but is the below possible.

Theory #1 The solenoid is where Chassis and House battery may come together when switch is held, what if somehow inside the solenoid it allowed current to flow from Chassis battery back to the House batteries? That may explain why the 12vdc circuits all shut down based on the Disconnect switch being OFF; but since Inverter may not be wired behind the disconnect switch it can still get power?

Or Theory #2 Does it matter which of the two positive posts are being used for the Inverter? See picture of battery compartment above. It is currently wired the way it was delivered from factory, but on Battery Installation diagram they show both positive cables on the same post?
__________________
2019 Sunstar 29VE Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; Nighthawk X4 AC2200 WiFi EX7300; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 09:23 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
Posts: 3,102
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
#3 But now it begins to seems to me why the Inverter may NOT turn OFF with the Coach Battery Switch because the positive feed for Inverter may not pass direct through that Disconnect Relay? I wish I could find where the positive cable to the Inverter ends and if there is in fact a Inverter breaker that is currently unknown to me? It would be a clue and maybe it is in wall behind the Inverter?

This is really puzzling to me. My brain gets fried every time I remember that turning OFF the Chassis batteries in addition to Coach Battery being off it will actually turn OFF Inverter and Ant / Cable
Thor MC gas coach do not wire the house battery disconnect relay output to the inverter. Even a 1000 watt inverter (2000 watts surge) needs a 150 amp capable cable. This is a number 2 awg minimum. The cable between the battery disconnected relay and the power center is usually a 6 awg and has a 50 amp CB. You would never want a long term current draw of more the 20% of the deep cycle lead acid house battery's amp-h capacity. Most RV manufactures the power center's 12 volt capability to 50 amps. I would guess the Winny does the same.
__________________
Jim & Roy Davis
2016 Hurricane 31S
1961 Rampside in tow
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 09:33 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
dkoldman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
Posts: 2,152
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Thor MC gas coach do not wire the house battery disconnect relay output to the inverter. Even a 1000 watt inverter (2000 watts surge) needs a 150 amp capable cable. This is a number 2 awg minimum. The cable between the battery disconnected relay and the power center is usually a 6 awg and has a 50 amp CB. You would never want a long term current draw of more the 20% of the deep cycle lead acid house battery's amp-h capacity. Most RV manufactures the power center's 12 volt capability to 50 amps. I would guess the Winny does the same.
Makes sense and consistent with what I am seeing, but how does the Coach Battery ON/OFF switch turn OFF the Inverter given the source positive Inverter cable is direct on the House Batteries?

Further complicating if Inverter is direct to House Battery, why would turning House Switch to OFF & Disconnecting Chassis battery at the same time shut the power to Inverter?
__________________
2019 Sunstar 29VE Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; Nighthawk X4 AC2200 WiFi EX7300; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 10:19 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
Posts: 3,102
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Makes sense and consistent with what I am seeing, but how does the Coach Battery ON/OFF switch turn OFF the Inverter given the source positive Inverter cable is direct on the House Batteries?

Further complicating if Inverter is direct to House Battery, why would turning House Switch to OFF & Disconnecting Chassis battery at the same time shut the power to Inverter?
Most inverters have what is called an ignition control feature. When there is 12 volts positive on the wire, the inverter will turn on and when the power is removed the inverter will turn off. Could be that the way it is wired. It is used in trucks so the the starting battery is not discharged. The wire is wired to the ignition on and not to the acc position.
__________________
Jim & Roy Davis
2016 Hurricane 31S
1961 Rampside in tow
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 10:52 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
dkoldman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
Posts: 2,152
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Most inverters have what is called an ignition control feature. When there is 12 volts positive on the wire, the inverter will turn on and when the power is removed the inverter will turn off. Could be that the way it is wired. It is used in trucks so the the starting battery is not discharged. The wire is wired to the ignition on and not to the acc position.
I don't think I have that? My Pure Sine Inverter is https://www.magnum-dimensions.com/pr...ter-csw-series

I have both options available for it, the remote switch and the Transfer Switch that allows Shore power or Genset to pass-through automatically.

I don't think I would want the power to Inverter Hot all the time because the Coach Battery is ON? We use our Inverter as EXCEPTION.

i.e. When no Genset / Shorepower... if we wanted the outside fridge on, or wanted to watch TVs, WIFI etc we turn on to get the limited DC supply.

When traveling, I may turn Inverter on to run the inside Norcold fridge (so as to NOT use propane while driving) and outside fridge, rarely if ever do we use TVs or WIFI when traveling.

But my puzzlement is about regardless to what I may be doing or not doing, if I turn the House Battery Switch off shouldn't everything that run off the batteries shut down? Winnebago is telling me it should, other owners are saying it should, seems to work that way with Thor, but I have not seen or heard how it is suppose to be wired up to see what I have different?

The fact that it makes sense to me that the Inverter should NOT be downstream from the Battery Disconnect Relay makes it even more of a gap as to how is it EVEN Possible... short a hard Disconnect Switch at least on the line that feeds the Inverter? But if I do that, I might as well just use the switch that is already on the inverter, or the switch on the inside remote and go into cabinet and turn off the Ant/Cable booster? Or if I wish to really show how much I have put into this, I could turn off the Chassis Disconnect switch whenever I shut off the House Battery Disconnect switch, but that would be letting Winnebago off the hook Right now they are telling it is suppose to shut everything down... If so; am willing to go to Missouri; because I am in the Show Me State of Mind
__________________
2019 Sunstar 29VE Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; Nighthawk X4 AC2200 WiFi EX7300; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 11:13 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
Posts: 3,102
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post

But my puzzlement is about regardless to what I may be doing or not doing, if I turn the House Battery Switch off shouldn't everything that run off the batteries shut down? Winnebago is telling me it should, other owners are saying it should, seems to work that way with Thor, but I have not seen or heard how it is suppose to be wired up to see what I have different The fact that it makes sense to me that the Inverter should NOT be downstream from the Battery Disconnect Relay makes it even more of a gap as to how is it EVEN Possible short a hard Disconnect Switch at least on the line that feeds the Inverter? But if I do that, I might as well just use the switch that is already on the inverter or the switch on the inside remote and go into cabinet and turn off the Ant/Cable booster? Or if I wish to really show how much I have out into this, I could simply just turn off the Chassis Disconnect switch whenever I shut off the House Battery Disconnect switch, but that would be letting Winnebago off the hook Right now they are telling it is suppose to shut everything down... If so; am willing to go to Missouri; because I am in the Show Me State of Mind
A common assumption is that the battery isolation, latching relay disconnects the house batteries from everything in the coach. It does not. It simply disconnects the power centers 12 volt fuse panel from the house batteries. The inverter, start relay for the generator, starter relay for the jacks and the BIRD/ BIM remain connected. Some other safety functions may also remain connected. The real reason the battery isolation latching relay is to keep the in-wall slide motors' brakes from depleting the batteries when the coach is parked and not being used.
__________________
Jim & Roy Davis
2016 Hurricane 31S
1961 Rampside in tow
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 11:50 PM   #31
Senior Member
 
dkoldman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
Posts: 2,152
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
A common assumption is that the battery isolation, latching relay disconnects the house batteries from everything in the coach. It does not. It simply disconnects the power centers 12 volt fuse panel from the house batteries. Thank you and the Winnebago rep that brought up the Battery Disconnect Relay sent me on Wild Goose hunt. On the positive I have learned a lot abot it because I can confirm what you say here is 100% of what I see. Everything on the 12 volt DC Panel goes OFF & ON with the Battery Disconnect Relay.


The inverter, start relay for the generator, starter relay for the jacks and the BIRD/ BIM remain connected. Some other safety functions may also remain connected. The real reason the battery isolation latching relay is to keep the in-wall slide motors' brakes from depleting the batteries when the coach is parked and not being used.
Notes:
1. A 3rd Winnie Rep got involved today, I asked for more detail 12vc drawings or someone to tell me how the Inverter is wired to stop with Battery Disconnect Switch. He reconfirmed that it is really is suppose to shutdown the Inverter and ANT/Cable LED
2. My generator will NOT start when House Batteries Switch is OFF
3. My Wall slide will not operate with House Batteries Switch Off
4. My Jacks require the Engine to be running in order to work, it does not matter is House Batteries Switch is On or OFF. Chassis batteries have to be on for Engine to start in order to level coach

So I am back to the Inverter what could be missing or happening that is preventing it to power off? From what I have learned, there must be something else behind the Batter Disconnect Switch by door that goes to the Inverter to shut the power that is apparently NOT working
__________________
2019 Sunstar 29VE Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; Nighthawk X4 AC2200 WiFi EX7300; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 12:02 AM   #32
Site Team
 
EA37TS's Avatar
 
Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Carolina
Posts: 6,432
THOR #1469
Late to the game. What model Inverter. Mine has 2 switches. The remote switch in the house and a power switch on the inverter itself. If the switch on the inverter is not turned off the switch inside will not power off the inverter.
__________________
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 01:02 AM   #33
Senior Member
 
dkoldman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
Posts: 2,152
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Late to the game. What model Inverter. Mine has 2 switches. The remote switch in the house and a power switch on the inverter itself. If the switch on the inverter is not turned off the switch inside will not power off the inverter.

I have a Magnum 1000watt Pure Sine Inverter https://www.magnum-dimensions.com/pr...ter-csw-series

I have remote switch on inside and the automatic transfer switch option installed.

For my Inverter, I can turn Inverter ON/OFF from Inverter unit itself in lower compartment OR the Inverter's Remote switch in the inside hallway wall. The Inverter is very nice peaks at 2000 watts and we typically never exceed 400 watts.

The problem is the House Batteries Switch (aka salesman switch) If the Inverter is on, and I turn House Battery Switch OFF, the Inverter does not shut down. We trying to figure out why not?
__________________
2019 Sunstar 29VE Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; Nighthawk X4 AC2200 WiFi EX7300; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 02:05 AM   #34
Site Team
 
EA37TS's Avatar
 
Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Carolina
Posts: 6,432
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I have a Magnum 1000watt Pure Sine Inverter https://www.magnum-dimensions.com/pr...ter-csw-series

I have remote switch on inside and the automatic transfer switch option installed.

For my Inverter, I can turn Inverter ON/OFF from Inverter unit itself in lower compartment OR the Inverter's Remote switch in the inside hallway wall. The Inverter is very nice peaks at 2000 watts and we typically never exceed 400 watts.

The problem is the House Batteries Switch (aka salesman switch) If the Inverter is on, and I turn House Battery Switch OFF, the Inverter does not shut down. We trying to figure out why not?
My inverter does the same thing. If the switch on the inverter itself is not in the off the inverter will not turn off when I turn off the main power switch (aka salesman switch) to the off position.

I keep the switch on the inverter off all the time and control inverter on and off from the remote switch inside the house. This is the only way I can turn off my fridge when the coach is in storage. I can still use the inverter by turning the remote switch on even though the switch on the inverter itself is off.

I have a Xantrex 2000 watt pure sine inverter.
__________________
Dave
US Army (Ret)
2020 Entegra Accolade 37TS
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 02:19 AM   #35
Senior Member
 
dkoldman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
Posts: 2,152
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
My inverter does the same thing. If the switch on the inverter itself is not in the off the inverter will not turn off when I turn off the main power switch (aka salesman switch) to the off position.

I keep the switch on the inverter off all the time and control inverter on and off from the remote switch inside the house. This is the only way I can turn off my fridge when the coach is in storage. I can still use the inverter by turning the remote switch on even though the switch on the inverter itself is off.

I have a Xantrex 2000 watt pure sine inverter.
So are you saying that your House Battery Disconnect Switch aka USE/STORE switch cannot turn OFF your Inverter? What is you disconnect the Chassis battery and have House Battery in STORE?

The above is problem I have. I have been told that the USE/STORE Switch is suppose to turn off my Inverter it does NOT.

Of course if I turn off at the Inverter itself, or at the Inverter's Remote or turn both House & Chassis batteries off it will shut down the Inverter/.

Also just so you know my Inverter switches are momentary push; so it is not physicals on/off switch. Wall Remote is similar to Emergency boost switch but a lot smaller and the unit itself is push button to turn on/off.
__________________
2019 Sunstar 29VE Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; Nighthawk X4 AC2200 WiFi EX7300; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 02:37 AM   #36
Site Team
 
EA37TS's Avatar
 
Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Carolina
Posts: 6,432
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
So are you saying that your House Battery Disconnect Switch aka USE/STORE switch cannot turn OFF your Inverter? What is you disconnect the Chassis battery and have House Battery in STORE?

The above is problem I have. I have been told that the USE/STORE Switch is suppose to turn off my Inverter it does NOT.

Of course if I turn off at the Inverter itself, or at the Inverter's Remote or turn both House & Chassis batteries off it will shut down the Inverter/.

Also just so you know my Inverter switches are momentary push; so it is not physicals on/off switch. Wall Remote is similar to Emergency boost switch but a lot smaller and the unit itself is push button to turn on/off.
Yes, I am saying that if my Inverter's power switch is on, the inverter will remain on regardless of what I do with the Main Power Switch (my rig calls it Main Power and not Use/Store). If the inverter is on when I turn off main power I have to turn the Inverter's power switch off to have the inverter power down.

My inverter is wired to the house batteries and that is how mine is wired from the factory. When I look at my electrical schematic my inverter does not go through the Main Power Latching Relay. The only thing between my inverter and the house batteries is a 300A Fuse.
__________________
Dave
US Army (Ret)
2020 Entegra Accolade 37TS
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 03:02 AM   #37
Senior Member
 
dkoldman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
Posts: 2,152
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Yes, I am saying that if my Inverter's power switch is on, the inverter will remain on regardless of what I do with the Main Power Switch (my rig calls it Main Power and not Use/Store). If the inverter is on when I turn off main power I have to turn the Inverter's power switch off to have the inverter power down.

My inverter is wired to the house batteries and that is how mine is wired from the factory. When I look at my electrical schematic my inverter does not go through the Main Power Latching Relay. The only thing between my inverter and the house batteries is a 300A Fuse.
I actually think I have what you have and my coach is wired the same. My Coach calls it Coach battery switch (On/Off) I type USE/STORE because that is what I was use to seeing in the Thor's we almost bought.

Right now my Coach (ON/OFF) battery switch will NOT turn off my Inverter. But Winnebago is saying it should

But my wiring is similar to yours. My inverter is wired to house batteries and goes through a 150A fuse. I assume you may have 2000 watt inverter? Mine is only 1000watts. I found my Disconnect Relay and it is on other side of coach and I believe it is only wired for the 12 vDC panel.

So right now, I have to wait for someone to make sense of all of this, or for Winnebago to send me detailed wiring to show me how it is supposed to wired so I can see if something is wired incorrectly or not working.
__________________
2019 Sunstar 29VE Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; Nighthawk X4 AC2200 WiFi EX7300; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 05:33 AM   #38
Site Team
 
EA37TS's Avatar
 
Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Carolina
Posts: 6,432
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I actually think I have what you have and my coach is wired the same. My Coach calls it Coach battery switch (On/Off) I type USE/STORE because that is what I was use to seeing in the Thor's we almost bought.

Right now my Coach (ON/OFF) battery switch will NOT turn off my Inverter. But Winnebago is saying it should

Is this a problem for you or are you just trying to get a straight answer?

But my wiring is similar to yours. My inverter is wired to house batteries and goes through a 150A fuse. I assume you may have 2000 watt inverter? Mine is only 1000watts. I found my Disconnect Relay and it is on other side of coach and I believe it is only wired for the 12 vDC panel.

Do you have an electrical diagram for your rig? If so and your schematic says the inverter is wired directly into the house batteries you have your answer regardless of what a Winnie rep says. The schematics would be the authoritative source. As a note, my inverter is shown on the 12 VDC diagram that also should the disconnect relay. and the BIM.

Yes I have a 2000 Watt Pure Sine inverter


So right now, I have to wait for someone to make sense of all of this, or for Winnebago to send me detailed wiring to show me how it is supposed to wired so I can see if something is wired incorrectly or not working.
Hopefully you get the answer soon.
__________________
Dave
US Army (Ret)
2020 Entegra Accolade 37TS
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 09:39 AM   #39
Senior Member
 
dkoldman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
Posts: 2,152
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Hopefully you get the answer soon.
Is this a problem for you or are you just trying to get a straight answer?


I am just trying to get a straight answer. I want the truth. If my coach is wired improperly, or if some component is failed, I want it fixed. This is one of the reasons I bought it brand new; and I expect no less. As a practical matter it is not a problem because I always turn the Inverter on/off using the wall remote inside. It is easy to tell if it is left on due to the green LED. The TV is also dead give away if inverter is left on But now that I know this is an issue, lets say I left my outside fridge on, and turned the TVs off with their TV remotes; I my wife, or kids could assume the Inverter is off and turn off the Battery Coach Switch thinking we done good; and leave. The outside fridge could run down and destroy my new $600 Solar AGM batteries

Do you have an electrical diagram for your rig? If so and your schematic says the inverter is wired directly into the house batteries you have your answer regardless of what a Winnie rep says. The schematics would be the authoritative source. As a note, my inverter is shown on the 12 VDC diagram that also should the disconnect relay. and the BIM.

Yes but that is part of the confusion, the drawings are not 100% What is clear is the Battery Installation Drawing that shows a 12v positive going through the 150amp Fuse but on that drawing it does not show where that 12v power line goes. When I get under the coach and follow, it appears to go to the inverter but I lose it in bundles of looms so I cannot say for sure. On another drawing that shows the 12 vDC wiring for the Body which include the Inverter it does not show anything from Inverter straight to the battery, but when I blow it up 300%, it looks as if their is 12v positive line than runs across the coach to the other side where the Main DC Breaker panel is? That is also where the Solenoid and Battery Disconnect Relay switches are.

I now have 2 Winnie owners and 3 Winnie reps saying the House Switch should turn off my Inverter. I am beginning to think that maybe it is supposed to be wired through the disconnect Relay and it is Not? I am still working with Winnebago on this one, but they wanted me to take back to the Dealer. Not exactly the best time of the year to take your coach in for something like this, but then again, since I am out of warranty and it is something they are willing to fix, beggars can't be choosey.
__________________
2019 Sunstar 29VE Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; Nighthawk X4 AC2200 WiFi EX7300; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 09:49 PM   #40
Senior Member
 
dkoldman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
Posts: 2,152
THOR #13058
Update:

I don't know why but doing some more trial and error testing today this is what I found out.

The Chassis Switch is ON in all of the scenarios below; so Chassis being ON/OFF has no effect on these results.

I observed this morning the Coach Battery Switch was off. The Inverter and ANT/Cable LED was not lit, so out of curiosity; I tried to turn on the Inverter with Remote switch. Nothing happened, I could not turn it on. I push the ant/cable button and same thing I could not turn it on. That made sense because Coach battery was off.

So I tried to repeat it. I turn Coach Switch back on & Ant LED lit up, and I was able to turn on Inverter. So I then turned the House Battery OFF and of course the Ant LED stayed green and the Inverter stay on. So to replicate what may have happened overnight, I left it alone. I checked every 10 minutes and everything stayed on. However after about 30 - 40 min the Inverter shuts down and the Ant LED goes out. You cannot turn on the Inverter at this point as long as Coach Battery switch is OFF.

So while I don't know why or how, it seems like I have the best of both worlds? If I were to forget an leave inverter on when I turn the House Battery off, it will shutdown by itself 30 - 40 mins later. Same for Ant / Cable LED. Knowing this I could also purposely leave a few things on Inverter and turn off the Battery Switch; and still have time to get a few things or belongings and have assurances that if forget to turn Switch Off it will do so by itself

My next steps is to talk to Magnum because this may be some hidden feature?

During the meantime, I love this coach
__________________
2019 Sunstar 29VE Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; Nighthawk X4 AC2200 WiFi EX7300; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2