Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2021, 05:38 PM   #41

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Update:

My next steps is to talk to Magnum because this may be some hidden feature?
I was able to talk to Magnum Energy today. They confirmed that the CSW 1012 Inverter I have DOES NOT have the ability to generate AC power for 30 minutes after shutoff of 12v power source.

So this means this phenomenon / feature can only be explained by Winnebago Engineering; as it is becoming obvious the Customer Service reps can not explain how it is wired. While the drawings show both Inverter and Battery installations, neither show details about how the wires are run across the coach and back to the battery, let alone how they may or may interact with Battery Isolation Relay or Solenoid.

Maybe it is some proprietary design and they don't wish to share? During interim Magnum Energy suggest it is either a capacitor, relay, or a timer between the Inverter? It would have to be a pretty big Capacitor to run TV and Outdoor fridge for 30 minutes?

Any help or ideas for next steps is appreciated.

I acknowledge the end result is a positive benefit, but I really would like to know how and why it works as it does.

2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 07:00 PM   #42

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
It's the DC side that may maintain voltage for a longer time, especially since it seems, from your description, that turning off the use/store switch also removes 12vdc from coach batteries to the inverter. So the inverter DC side must be on the load side of your coach disconnect. That's why previously I was wondering what would happen if just the inverter DC ground cable was removed (safely) temporarily for a retest of the situation.........or......leave it as before when you were testing and the ant/cable LED stayed on for 30 minutes before shutting off by itself.......try turning on some heavier coach battery loads (fans, lights, water pump etc) with shore disconnected and see if the ant/cable LED stays on......or shuts off much faster.
Old 05-03-2021, 07:55 PM   #43

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin View Post
It's the DC side that may maintain voltage for a longer time,

Everything through the DC Breaker panel shuts down IMMEDIATELY. I am 100% convince that line is downstream from the battery coach on/off switch and the battery isolation relay.

especially since it seems, from your description, that turning off the use/store switch also removes 12vdc from coach batteries to the inverter.

This only happens after a 30 - 40 minute delay?

So the inverter DC side must be on the load side of your coach disconnect. That's why previously I was wondering what would happen if just the inverter DC ground cable was removed (safely) temporarily for a retest of the situation.........or......leave it as before when you were testing and the ant/cable LED stayed on for 30 minutes before shutting off by itself.......

The loss of power to the Inverter and Ant/Cable shut off at the same time. I am beginning to be convinced that the Ant / Cable wall plate must be on AC circuit with Inverter, but Inverter can be physically cutoff but the Ant/LED is still on; but I suspect no real power boost to the antenna. I bet my TV would lose the antenna signal as soon as inverter turns off regardless of the LED for Ant being on?

try turning on some heavier coach battery loads (fans, lights, water pump etc) with shore disconnected and see if the ant/cable LED stays on......or shuts off much faster.
I have tries this a few times. Of course the Inverter has to be on, but I have run TVs, and outside fridge and it still was about 30 - 40 minutes (maybe 200watts of draw) before shutting off. No change from when just the Ant / LED by itself. If we need to really juice it up, I can additionally turn on my Norcold as it is hot outside and that fridge draws a lot compared to outdoor kitchen fridge?

I did take it all apart last week, but when I learned that it does in fact cutoff with the delay, I thought it was resolved. But Winnebago was wrong when they said it was charge within the Inverter. In hindsight, another test I wish I had ran was to verify what happens on the 12v input to the back of Inverter when the Coach switch was turned On/Off. Magnum Energy was adamant that my Inverter has no ability to hold energy. It has a minimum incoming voltage limit and when it hits that; it immediately shutdown.

So now, I know what it is doing, and I like what it is doing , but AMAZED that no one can say why, or even how it could be possible; not even Winnebago?

You think maybe I should put my drink down for future tests I am about to go nuts , but I am going to find out why one way or the other and I will share what I learn.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 06-27-2021, 02:34 AM   #44

THOR #13058
Update

If you remember this problem, it ended with no clear answer from Winnebago nor Magnum Energy as to why my Inverter retained power for 30 minutes once the Coach Battery Switched was turned off?

Winnebago asked me to take it to a Dealer so they could look at it to see why it would not shut off 120vac from the Inverter immediately once the Batter Switched was turned off.

Well today; I get around to taking it to a Dealer. And lo and behold, every time I flipped the Coach Battery Switch, every thing shutdown IMMEDIATELY It worked exactly as Winnebago and the wiring suggest it should.

The Dealer knowing me, is still going to review because they believe some may have been happening. But at least I know now, what it was, is intermittent.

But for now all is working as it should and nothing was fixed