Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2018, 08:19 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Illinois
THOR #12237
Rear Stereo Inoperable

I have a new 2018 Thor Chateau 31w with an inop stereo in the rear by the bed. this unit turns on fine, but doesn't receive either AM or FM. Well, It receives FM weakly. It acts as if there is no antenna. I ttried to remove the unit from the wall, but apparently Thor used nuts and bolts to install. Does anyone know if there is an antenna splitter hiding anywhere? This unit also is the only thing connected to the outside speakers.

Old 07-09-2018, 08:44 PM   #2

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Texas
THOR #10883
Rear radio

On my 30.3 the radio plays in bedroom as well as outside. There is an antenna amplifier that must be on. Mine is hidden in an overhead compartment over the sink. Little green light should be on
There's a button on it. Also aux in #2 plays what the outside tv plays. The remote control app on the phone is sometimes hard to connect.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:47 PM   #3

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
I hate that radio on mine so I never use it...cheap piece of crap that shines blue lights right in your eyes while trying to sleep...BUT, I read somewhere a while back that the antenna is nothing but a piece of wire laying in the wall. A few people have actually installed an outside rubber antenna and it worked fine.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 08:49 PM   #4

THOR #11130
They must just allow the workers to connect whatever wire they want to whatever they are standing closest to at the time. Seems EVERY coach they make operates differently.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:07 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaceMan View Post
On my 30.3 the radio plays in bedroom as well as outside. There is an antenna amplifier that must be on. Mine is hidden in an overhead compartment over the sink. Little green light should be on
There's a button on it. Also aux in #2 plays what the outside tv plays. The remote control app on the phone is sometimes hard to connect.
You sure that's not the OTA TV amplifier?

On my ACE the rear radio just had a bundled wire plugged into the antenna. Worked just as well as the rubber duck antenna on the front stereo, which wasn't very good either.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 02:51 AM   #6

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
My Vegas has the Jenson AWM914 radio, and it had poor reception, too. It is held in with 2 screws, one came out easy, the other I had to pry off and it is now held with just the one. The antenna wire was tightly coiled and twist tied. The reception was much better after I untied it. Still not as good as an external antenna.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:03 AM   #7

State: California
THOR #10354
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEustice View Post
I have a new 2018 Thor Chateau 31w with an inop stereo in the rear by the bed. this unit turns on fine, but doesn't receive either AM or FM. Well, It receives FM weakly. It acts as if there is no antenna. I ttried to remove the unit from the wall, but apparently Thor used nuts and bolts to install. Does anyone know if there is an antenna splitter hiding anywhere? This unit also is the only thing connected to the outside speakers.
In my Vegas 25.2 with the rear slide out reception is non-existent also because the antenna wire 1) is not unfurled in the wall and 2) is not located on an outside wall due to the slide out extra wall. I think Thor depends on the 10-20' wire to act as an antenna located in the exterior wall without being hooked to anything including an antenna RF (Radio Frequency) amplifier. I unfurled the wire and get some reception but do not care too much about listening to the radio in bed anyway. It does not take much of an antenna to receive local AM/FM stations in modern radios.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:05 AM   #8

State: California
THOR #10354
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
I hate that radio on mine so I never use it...cheap piece of crap that shines blue lights right in your eyes while trying to sleep...BUT, I read somewhere a while back that the antenna is nothing but a piece of wire laying in the wall. A few people have actually installed an outside rubber antenna and it worked fine.
There is an option on the radio to turn off the annoying blue light. Look at the manual or get online for information.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:13 AM   #9

THOR #11130
I'll do that...I hate the blue light. Kinda funny...by the time you reach the point in life where you can comfortably write a check for you motor home, you've outgrown the thrill of having speakers blasting in your face, two feet above your bed. I do remember those days!!
Old 07-11-2018, 03:23 AM   #10

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thehobe1 View Post
There is an option on the radio to turn off the annoying blue light. Look at the manual or get online for information.

Yeah, I found the trick to turn off the radio light on the Jensen website. One less annoyance.
Old 08-09-2018, 12:27 AM   #11

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #10254
On our last big trip, we discovered that our TV antenna was not working. We also found out that the outside speakers would work, but not as good as before. If I walked along the coach, the signal would cut out.

So, this month, I replaced the TV Antenna and now the outside speakers seem to be working better again.

Could this somehow be related?
Old 08-09-2018, 04:45 AM   #12

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #12091
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post

The blue display lights are irritating. I went through the menu on the radio and was able to turn them off. Problem solved.
Old 08-09-2018, 03:13 PM   #13

Model: Axis 25.4
State: Tennessee
THOR #12170
Jensen Instructions

Thor video on the Jensen radio. Includes how to dim lights:

Old 08-09-2018, 05:14 PM   #14

Model: AXIS 25.2
State: Tennessee
THOR #6051
I have a 2017 AXIS, and the rear radio has only a coil of wire plugged into the antenna connector. To get good FM radio, you need at least an extended antenna of 31". For AM reception, the longer the better.