Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2018, 04:49 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Colorado
THOR #4179
Electrical Power Issues

I was unable to start my generator without the main engine running. It sounded as though there was not enough voltage to start the generator. If the main engine is running, the generator fires right up. I replaced both storage/camp batteries and still experiencing a similar problem. Now there appears to be no power getting to the generator from the storage/camp batteries. When I try to prime the generator, neither of the generator switch lights come on at all. I can still start the generator with the main engine running. Also, when this occurs, the dash radio also is dead. All of the lights work though throughout. I suspect a loose wire but not sure where to look other than the obvious battery connections which are tight.

Old 08-09-2018, 05:20 AM   #2

Model: 2022 Tellaro 20AT
THOR #8835
Battery charging issue

Not sure if this is the problem, but the house battery on my 2018 Freedom Elite 26he, was not always charging when connected to shore power. I think the problem is when plugging into shore power the master shutoff light comes on, however the converter does not begin charging the battery without re-toggling the master switch.
Old 08-09-2018, 11:02 AM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Obvious question: Is it in "Use"?
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 12:27 PM   #4

THOR #8835
Master power switch

Jamie: I assumed the battery was charging since the red master power light come on when you plug in shore power as all the microwave, TV, refrigerator and A/C get power However; in my RV the battery doesn’t begin charging until master switch is toggled and you hear the solenoid clunk.
Old 08-09-2018, 12:35 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
We really need a "Use/Store" switch that is larger, and much more... dramatic!

That way there would be no doubt as to what should be happening!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 12:38 PM   #6

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
My wordy version:

The generator and hydraulic pump motor (jacks) are started/powered from the coach batteries typically, so either your coach battery disconnect is not “on” or your coach batteries are not fully charged; 100 Amp breaker open etc. When you are on shore power the LED lamp (if equipped) on the use/store switch......(or in some coaches like mine which has separate switches for coach and chassis battery disconnect/connection), stays lit even if the latching relay is not operated (not on). This means many people see the LED on and think their chassis batteries are charging when they are not. Use/store must be "on" to charge the coach batteries. Best way to make sure is using a voltmeter on your batteries with use/store in the “on” position. If battery voltage is not at least 13+ then it is time to investigate why the converter is not connecting to your coach batteries.
Old 08-09-2018, 01:55 PM   #7

THOR #8835
Thor Response

I brought this up to my contact at Thor. His response is:
"... you have to make sure the switch is on before you plug it in so as to make sure it is connected so that it will charge while plugged in"
Old 08-09-2018, 04:03 PM   #8

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Obvious question: Is it in "Use"?
You know, maybe Thor should put an indicator switch there. Like 'use' is lit green and 'store' is off maybe? Myself I don't have time to look for this or do that to get everything to work when I have to set up after a long trip, I want a beer ASAP. Maybe since they have the OBD system for the chassis, they can set up a numbered code system and troubleshooter guide. System doesn't work, here is the code, check this, then this ...etc. A Lot of us are not professional campers but we are 'professionals' in other areas, even know a lot about other subjects too. HECK put it on a DVD to make it quick, feed it into your dash or your computer and get that beer.
Old 08-09-2018, 04:09 PM   #9

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin View Post
My wordy version:

The generator and hydraulic pump motor (jacks) are started/powered from the coach batteries typically, so either your coach battery disconnect is not “on” or your coach batteries are not fully charged; 100 Amp breaker open etc. When you are on shore power the LED lamp (if equipped) on the use/store switch......(or in some coaches like mine which has separate switches for coach and chassis battery disconnect/connection), stays lit even if the latching relay is not operated (not on). This means many people see the LED on and think their chassis batteries are charging when they are not. Use/store must be "on" to charge the coach batteries. Best way to make sure is using a voltmeter on your batteries with use/store in the “on” position. If battery voltage is not at least 13+ then it is time to investigate why the converter is not connecting to your coach batteries.
I had a problem with a loose wire going to the 15 Amp C/B holder laying on top of the hydraulic pump. Couldn't fix it without breaking the plastic either so after that I bought a new plastic fuse, wired it in and NOW the slide works every time I press the button. Halaluyah!
Old 08-09-2018, 05:22 PM   #10

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Your 15 amp fuse might have been protection for the start solenoid on the hydraulic pump.....since usually the pump motor itself is fed from a 100 Amp cct breaker.

By the way I noted an error is my previous comment: “This means many people see the LED on and think their chassis batteries are charging...” should have said coach batteries. No more beer on my corn flakes.

Tags
generator use, power loss