Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-11-2023, 12:14 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #31390
Permanent pressure regulator

I have access to fresh water tank drain valve through an access panel in the rear storage area and I could see flexible cable (like we see around kitchen/bath sinks) connecting to pex tubing. I would like to install a permanent pressure regulator so I dont have to deal with the awkward pressure regulator when connecting to city water. I have one that has a guage but is preset to deliver ~40 psi water. Anyone see a problem with such approach?

Old 12-11-2023, 12:24 AM   #2

Model: 2022 Tellaro 20L
State: Vermont
THOR #30506
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsraja View Post
I have access to fresh water tank drain valve through an access panel in the rear storage area and I could see flexible cable (like we see around kitchen/bath sinks) connecting to pex tubing. I would like to install a permanent pressure regulator so I dont have to deal with the awkward pressure regulator when connecting to city water. I have one that has a guage but is preset to deliver ~40 psi water. Anyone see a problem with such approach?
I don't see any issue with that- makes too much sense for Thor to have thought of it. The Tellaro/Sequence have one inside but is for the Truma after the water pump.

It would be pretty easy to plumb one in just downline of the city water valve. Use swivel fittings so you can change it if it goes bad. I might follow your lead on this one too!

Preliminary search turns up only ones with GHT threads- so would need to adapt to GHT-Swivel or GHT to 1/2" pex crimp, or combination therof...
Daily driver: 2021 VW ID4
Mark54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 12:46 AM   #3

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
I like it. For overkill I'd pressure-proof all plumbing between the shore connection and regulator... 100# plus using rigid PEX and solid crimps.
Old 12-11-2023, 02:09 AM   #4

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Quote:
Having the regulator installed permanently would also help to prevent forgetting to take the regulator off the hydrant. Been there, done that, don't want to do it again.

In my case I can just hook it in just before the built in filter / softener setup I added to my coach. Thank you for putting that idea into my head the next time I need to hook up I will put the regulator on the input side of the filter bank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Filter Softener.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	44451  

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 03:16 AM   #5

THOR #31390
Thanks everyone! I will get busy with it and let you know how it goes.

I like your softener setup Dan, I dont think I will go that far, space is an issue for me. We have king bed in our 29ft class C but storage is a premium.
Old 12-11-2023, 04:07 AM   #6

Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #13505
I was going to put an inline regulator until I started using solid core filters that keep my pressure under 55 psi
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20231210_213445_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	44453  
Old 12-11-2023, 01:17 PM   #7

THOR #28145
Quote:
Thanks everyone! I will get busy with it and let you know how it goes.

I like your softener setup Dan, I dont think I will go that far, space is an issue for me. We have king bed in our 29ft class C but storage is a premium.
If you want a filter / softener system you could get a free standing two or three filter set like this:

https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/w...ersal-mounting

Then couple it with an 8000-grain softener, the one in my RV is a 16000-grain unit. Then you could carry the filter and softener in your TOAD.

Old 12-11-2023, 04:29 PM   #8

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
My only issue would be the drama if it malfunctioned. How easy would it be to quickly remove it at night in a campground? I just leave the regulator attached to the water hose. You've got to attach it anyway...its no more work...one connection and done.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 05:17 PM   #9

Model: Tuscany
THOR #1808
i have a WATTS whole house regulator its adjustable and easy to access as its attached to the water inlet side of the wet bay and a i put a pressure gauge on it,

its been in service since 2009
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	water valves.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	44455  
Old 12-11-2023, 06:23 PM   #10

THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-sr@perra-us.net View Post
Having the regulator installed permanently would also help to prevent forgetting to take the regulator off the hydrant. Been there, done that, don't want to do it again.

In my case I can just hook it in just before the built in filter / softener setup I added to my coach. Thank you for putting that idea into my head the next time I need to hook up I will put the regulator on the input side of the filter bank.
Here is my set up with the regulator added in.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Regulator.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	44461  

Old 12-11-2023, 07:50 PM   #11

THOR #31390
Wow already!
Old 12-11-2023, 09:36 PM   #12

THOR #28145
Quote:
Wow already!
I already had everything to do it. All I needed to do is to hook it up in the new configuration.

Old 12-11-2023, 10:18 PM   #13
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
My only issue would be the drama if it malfunctioned. How easy would it be to quickly remove it at night in a campground? I just leave the regulator attached to the water hose. You've got to attach it anyway...its no more work...one connection and done.
Fill the FW tank and use the pump - redundant systems.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 10:49 PM   #14

THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Fill the FW tank and use the pump - redundant systems.
SOP.

When you leave the coach for a day trip, turn off the city water and water pump.

When you turn in for the night, turn off the city water and water pump. Here I turn the city water off after I am done with evening activities like dish washing and showering. The I turn the water pump off when I turn in.

I seldom hook up city water while traveling. Actually, I only hook up the city water when I will be camped long enough that I would run out of fresh water or if I am low on fresh water or need to dump. When I do hook up, I will typically just fill the tank enough so that I do not need to have the city water on unless I am doing something requiring a more constant flow of water, like showering or washing dishes.

Old 03-17-2024, 03:35 AM   #15

THOR #31390
Is pressure regulator really required?

As some of you have mentioned, the pump offers better (and controlled) water pressure than direct city water connection with the darn pressure regulator. I attempted to add a pressure regulator inline behind the city water connection port and noticed the reducer (that turns 3/4 port to 1/2 inch pipe connector) has a hole that is about the same size of fixed pressure regulator. No matter what pressure regulator you use, unless it is adjustable, it is just proportionate, meaning it will convert 100 psi to 40 psi, I am going to assume if you connected to 150 psi, it will be much higher than 40 psi (again unless it is adjustable and you need to open pressure from zero just to be sure).

So my take is the reducer already has a pressure regulator built in, Thor does not tell you that. I continued to use a pressure regulator but every one in my family complained the shower pressure was low and then using the water pump gives the best outcome. I think Dan and one other person recommended some solution like that. I am going to stick to it and abandon the inline permanent pressure regulator project. Basically just fill the fresh water tank and use the water pump. Change the water pump when it goes bad.

Oh well, I stepped on the OBD II port when stepping on the parking brake (I had a OBD2 reader connected at that time, it was protruding and I mistook it for parking brake, argh!!!!) and I snapped it. That killed every button on the steering wheel, instrument cluster is dead, no high beam, no turn signal, no wiper, no cruise control, no gas guage, no oil pressure guage, no temp guage, no speedometer, no rpm... I barely made it back from San Antonio. Fixing it is going to be my next project. I will post a separate thread.
Old 03-17-2024, 04:00 AM   #16
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
As some of you have mentioned, the pump offers better (and controlled) water pressure than direct city water connection with the darn pressure regulator. I attempted to add a pressure regulator inline behind the city water connection port and noticed the reducer (that turns 3/4 port to 1/2 inch pipe connector) has a hole that is about the same size of fixed pressure regulator. No matter what pressure regulator you use, unless it is adjustable, it is just proportionate, meaning it will convert 100 psi to 40 psi, I am going to assume if you connected to 150 psi, it will be much higher than 40 psi (again unless it is adjustable and you need to open pressure from zero just to be sure).

So my take is the reducer already has a pressure regulator built in, Thor does not tell you that. I continued to use a pressure regulator but every one in my family complained the shower pressure was low and then using the water pump gives the best outcome. I think Dan and one other person recommended some solution like that. I am going to stick to it and abandon the inline permanent pressure regulator project. Basically just fill the fresh water tank and use the water pump. Change the water pump when it goes bad.

Oh well, I stepped on the OBD II port when stepping on the parking brake (I had a OBD2 reader connected at that time, it was protruding and I mistook it for parking brake, argh!!!!) and I snapped it. That killed every button on the steering wheel, instrument cluster is dead, no high beam, no turn signal, no wiper, no cruise control, no gas guage, no oil pressure guage, no temp guage, no speedometer, no rpm... I barely made it back from San Antonio. Fixing it is going to be my next project. I will post a separate thread.
You're confusing pressure with flow. A constrictor, small hole in the flow of the pipe, reduction of pipe size, etc reduces flow everywhere, and is felt as a pressure reduction at the outlet only while flow is occurring. When flow is stopped, the high city water pressure will be felt on all pipes and fittings in your RV, possibly causing damage and leaks. Pascal's Law.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 05:02 PM   #17

THOR #31390
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
You're confusing pressure with flow. A constrictor, small hole in the flow of the pipe, reduction of pipe size, etc reduces flow everywhere, and is felt as a pressure reduction at the outlet only while flow is occurring. When flow is stopped, the high city water pressure will be felt on all pipes and fittings in your RV, possibly causing damage and leaks. Pascal's Law.
Applying physics, what you are saying makes sense. As a good physics student I should have thought of that. And I could say that non-adjustable pressure regulators are nothing more than flow restrictors.