Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2020, 03:55 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Arizona
THOR #21371
Electrical problem with 2015 Four Winds 31W

I was running 2 small heaters and tripped a breaker. I reset the breaker and checked the GFCI in the bathroom but still have 3 outlets without power. The one above the sink next to the microwave, which does have power. The other 2 are under the dinette and under the cabinet behind the passenger seat. I have requested a diagram from Thor but with what I've seen posted on this forum do not expect any help. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. Thank you and I hope Iposted this correctly as I am a newbie. Thanks again.

Old 12-20-2020, 04:35 PM   #2

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
Greetings

You found out the hard way that 2 heaters (1heater & 1 hair drier, 1 heater & ) is going to trip a breaker.
Did you check all the breakerS on your 120 vac panel?

Welcome to the forum and keep us updated.
Old 12-20-2020, 04:39 PM   #3

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
THOR #13932
It might be eaiser to go to that website you read about here, insert your Vin number and get what you read here.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 04:54 PM   #4

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Mine for those outlets would be the GFCI in the 1/2 bath

good luck
Old 12-20-2020, 04:58 PM   #5

THOR #21371
Quote:
Originally Posted by abjbrtd View Post
Greetings

You found out the hard way that 2 heaters (1heater & 1 hair drier, 1 heater & ) is going to trip a breaker.
Did you check all the breakerS on your 120 vac panel?

Welcome to the forum and keep us updated.
Yes I checked all the breakers and all were good. Thanks for the reply. BTW my VIN is
1FDXE4FS9FDA27234. Does anyone know how to decode this to build date, etc?
Old 12-20-2020, 05:14 PM   #6

THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by erlynd View Post
Yes I checked all the breakers and all were good. Thanks for the reply. BTW my VIN is
1FDXE4FS9FDA27234. Does anyone know how to decode this to build date, etc?
Old 12-20-2020, 05:51 PM   #7

THOR #21371
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
Thank you for responding. Do you have a link for this. I looked at Thor and could not find one.
Old 12-20-2020, 05:59 PM   #8

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
THOR #13932
Quote:
Thank you for responding. Do you have a link for this. I looked at Thor and could not find one.
I don't have a link but it is almost invariably in one of the threads you referenced saying Thor won't send them a diagram.
Go over your history list and it'll be in almost all of those posts.

Or someone will post it again in this one.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 06:32 PM   #9

Brand: Still Looking
Model: S.O.B.
State: Florida
THOR #14543
Exclamation

Quote:

https://www.thormotorcoach.com/owners/

Then click on Owners Resource login
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 07:29 PM   #10

THOR #6903
Don't have any idea how your coach is configured but I do have one more GFCI in the basement which makes three total

The power management will shut off various outlets based on my amp connection and load which can be interesting

If we happen to have the electric element on in the Aquahot and start the Fireplace it will shut both off and the only quick reset is to flip the breaker even though it isn't tripped, it resets the load control as one side of the line was over loaded
Old 12-20-2020, 07:34 PM   #11

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
you have a 2nd GFI outlet. go find it.
Old 12-20-2020, 09:39 PM   #12
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
I was running 2 small heaters and tripped a breaker. I reset the breaker and checked the GFCI in the bathroom but still have 3 outlets without power. The one above the sink next to the microwave, which does have power. The other 2 are under the dinette and under the cabinet behind the passenger seat. I have requested a diagram from Thor but with what I've seen posted on this forum do not expect any help. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. Thank you and I hope Iposted this correctly as I am a newbie. Thanks again.
Which ones don't have power? Does the one next to the microwave have power or not?

As Cavie said, most coaches have two GFCI outlets.
Do you have an inverter installed?
Have you checked every outlet in the coach to definitively know which ones have power and which ones do not?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 06:04 PM   #13

THOR #21371
Thanks for all who replied. I have only 1 GFCI breaker and it is in the bathroom. I took the outside outlet off and discovered 2 loose wires. Put them under the screws provided and all is well. Did find another outlet in the bedroom with an intermittent connection so I used wire nuts to bypass it and will replace when I get home. Tightened all the connections in my electrical panel as suggested by another thread and all seems to be good. Thanks to all and have a very Merry Christmas.
Old 12-24-2020, 06:32 PM   #14

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
Quote:
Thanks for all who replied. I have only 1 GFCI breaker and it is in the bathroom. I took the outside outlet off and discovered 2 loose wires. Put them under the screws provided and all is well. Did find another outlet in the bedroom with an intermittent connection so I used wire nuts to bypass it and will replace when I get home. Tightened all the connections in my electrical panel as suggested by another thread and all seems to be good. Thanks to all and have a very Merry Christmas.
FYI. The outlet in the bathroom is called a "GFI Outlet". GFI breakers are found in the main breaker box. They have a yellow test button. These are usually found in High-end MH's.

Yours has a 15 amp breaker that controls the GFI outlet. GFI outlets do not trip on overload. Only .5 or greater mili-amp leakage. The breaker does the overload tripping. There are 4 to 5 standard outlets downstream of the bathroom master outlet. All controlled by the bath GFI. Hope this helps you understand how they work.
Old 12-31-2020, 11:55 AM   #15

Model: 2018 four winds 31 w
State: Texas
THOR #10089
Had same issue with electrical

With power off I replaced my GFI With a new one.
This restored my power. I also found loose terminals in a few of my reciprocals. That needed tightening an - easy fix.
Old 03-17-2024, 03:58 PM   #16

Model: Windsport
THOR #30426
Bathroom gfi on 2011 windsport

This may be a related problem. I replaced the gfi in the bathroom. Only two outlets are connected to this gfi as I can tell. When I plug in a coffee maker to the outlet in the kitchen the gfi, new one, trips immediately. The old one took about 3 to 5 minutes. The breaker for the gfi outlet when I reset it and I reset the gfi I get a green light, good. But the coffee maker trips it again. My wife did notice sparks from the coffee maker, gfi trips, breaker trips. I'm hoping it's the stupid coffee maker. Nope. Just checked a heater plugged in, trips the gfi again just as fast. Nothing plugged in to either out let, reset, gfi trips right away. Grrr.
Old 03-17-2024, 05:13 PM   #17

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Quote:
Originally Posted by groundrat1963 View Post
This may be a related problem. I replaced the gfi in the bathroom. Only two outlets are connected to this gfi as I can tell. When I plug in a coffee maker to the outlet in the kitchen the gfi, new one, trips immediately. The old one took about 3 to 5 minutes. The breaker for the gfi outlet when I reset it and I reset the gfi I get a green light, good. But the coffee maker trips it again. My wife did notice sparks from the coffee maker, gfi trips, breaker trips. I'm hoping it's the stupid coffee maker. Nope. Just checked a heater plugged in, trips the gfi again just as fast. Nothing plugged in to either out let, reset, gfi trips right away. Grrr.
The last part makes little sense. NOTHING plugged in, it trips "right away" but you say you still tested a heater?
Also... if sparks are a'flying... get it checked out.

Tags
2015, 31w, gcfi