Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2022, 06:26 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #26679
Electrical Question

I have a 2019 Hurricane 34J. My Hurricane is in storage. Plugged into to regular house outlet. Today...my jacks would not extend. I noticed there is no readout on my battery panel next to the steps at the door. The app on my phone and on the wall shows full battery charge. All the lights work, the fridge works. I cannot keep the generator running without holding down the emergency start button. When I release the button, it cuts off. The house batteries are new within the last year. Just installed a new chasis battery in the engine. Everything worked fine last week when I was at the Motorhome. I'm not sure where to start. Any ideas? Thanks.

Old 09-10-2022, 06:35 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Start with your house batteries - they are discharged. You probably had the battery disconnect open so even though you were plugged into SP they were not charging.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 07:03 PM   #3

Model: Freedom Traveler A30
State: Oklahoma
THOR #23072
I agree with 16ace27......I have a freedom traveler A30 when I go out to check it I always try the radio to see if it will turn on since the radio is connected to the house batteries.....I just put in brand new house batteries and twice now the radio would not come on which indicates low battery, I made sure all everything was in its proper place so the trip switch had not been tripped I also checked the batteries with a meter and they are showing almost 13 volts I too am connected to house current to keep things charged up etc.....I remember that this had happened before with the old batteries so I removed the cover from my fuse box and found the 15 amp fuse that operated all the audio and video equipment on the RV and removed it then placed it back into the fuse box, the fuse was good I made sure of that and for some strange reason the radio is now working so my issue could be in the fuse box or one of the connections in the fuse box ? Anyone else have this problem?
Old 09-10-2022, 07:22 PM   #4
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Thank you. When I have the MH plugged in, I cannot turn off the master switch. Is there some other way to disconnect so the batteries don\'t discharge or should I not use the electircal plug continually?
The "Indicator" light is not an indication of the status of the "master switch"; it just indicates there is power to the DC buss. This power can be supplied by the house batteries through the master switch when not on SP or by the converter when connected to SP or the generator is running.

To keep the house batteries charged the "master switch" should always be ON except when storing the MH for more than a day or two while NOT connected to SP.
Old 09-10-2022, 07:24 PM   #5

THOR #26679
Thank you. Should I not leave my MH plugged into the outlet? If it is plugged in, I can't disconnect the batteries with the master switch...that stays on as long as it is plugged in. Is there another way to prevent the discharge? Thanks again....electricity and how it all flows is not a strong suit for me.
Old 09-10-2022, 07:25 PM   #6

THOR #26679
Thanks again.
Old 09-10-2022, 07:38 PM   #7
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmichphoto View Post
Thank you. Should I not leave my MH plugged into the outlet? If it is plugged in, I can't disconnect the batteries with the master switch...that stays on as long as it is plugged in. Is there another way to prevent the discharge? Thanks again....electricity and how it all flows is not a strong suit for me.
You want it connected if plugged into SP

You can and have disconnected it when plugged in and that is why your batteries are dead. Again - the light does not tell you that the switch is connected.
Old 09-10-2022, 08:11 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Your master power switch disconnects the house batteries from the DC buss (where the row of 12 volt fuses are located) in the power center. The latching relay is controlled by the master power switch and is powered ONLY by the house batteries. The power for the jacks and the generator come from the house batteries through the same 100 amp DC circuit breaker in the house battery compartment. The generator will not continue to tun if there are no working house batteries in the circuit.

The charger supplies DC power to the DC buss in the power center. Any time there is power to the power center's buss the master power light will be on powered by the converter and/or the house batteries. If you turn off master power, the converter cannot charge any of the batteries (house or chassis.

Hope than helps?
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 07:12 PM   #9

State: Michigan
THOR #19346
a few years back we kept our rig in heated storage that provided power 2 hours each day. maybe my solution could help you. I turned off the use switch and ran extension cords to power stand alone separate trickle chargers to each battery. you could do the same with an appropriately sized timer(s) to keep the batteries charged.

what I do now in my unheated pole barn is shut everything down an charge for a few days every 3 weeks over the winter months. it's ok for batteries to draw down on there own as long as you charge them up again.
Old 09-24-2022, 07:45 PM   #10

Model: ACE 29.3
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #20468
Quote:
Turn the master switch on (light on) before you plug in to shore power. That way you know shore power will charge the battery.
Old 10-22-2022, 02:50 PM   #11

Model: Wind sport 29M
THOR #24352
I have a 2018 windsport 29M After a trip my remote for the xantrex pro 1800 XM 14.1 vdc. after a few hours on shore power it goes down to 12.2 Vdc. after a while it can go down to 12.0 and then after 1/2 hour goes back to 12.2. It will go down to 12.0, then after a while it will go and stay at 12.2. roller coaster. My storage switch i dont think is working properly. Switch it off and the light stays on. Flip it a couple of times and goes off but never hear any clicking sound. Ran the heater for the coach and the batteries were all dead over nite.

2018 Thor wind sport 29M
2020 Hyundai Tuscon Toad
4 year old Basset hound
smitty1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 04:32 PM   #12
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty1020 View Post
I have a 2018 windsport 29M After a trip my remote for the xantrex pro 1800 XM 14.1 vdc. after a few hours on shore power it goes down to 12.2 Vdc. after a while it can go down to 12.0 and then after 1/2 hour goes back to 12.2. It will go down to 12.0, then after a while it will go and stay at 12.2. roller coaster. My storage switch i dont think is working properly. Switch it off and the light stays on. Flip it a couple of times and goes off but never hear any clicking sound. Ran the heater for the coach and the batteries were all dead over nite.
Sounds like bad batteries. Get'em tested.
Old 10-22-2022, 04:46 PM   #13

THOR #24352
Electrical Question

I have 2 new batteries. The old ones had 3 dead cells between the 2 of them

Im wondering if is has anything to do with the use/store switch.

2018 Thor wind sport 29M
2020 Hyundai Tuscon Toad
4 year old Basset hound
Old 10-22-2022, 04:50 PM   #14

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty1020 View Post
As Ted says, it the charge of the house batteries. The light in the master power switch only shows there is power on the power center bus. it does NOT indicate where the power originates. The latching relay controlled by the master power switch is controlled ONLY by the house batteries. Its position cannot be changed by power from the power center (converter). The latching relay must be in the ON position for the house batteries to be charged. If the relay is in the ON position, the Xanterx Pro will always show a voltage of 13.1 to 14.2 volts. when on shore power or the generator is running; assuming the converter is on (15 amp 120 volt CB on).
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 02:12 PM   #15

THOR #24352
electrical question

When I checked the 15-amp breaker to the inverter I did reset it even though it wasn't thrown, the remote showed 13.5 Vdc then over a couple of hours, settles back down to 12.2.

2018 Thor wind sport 29M
2020 Hyundai Tuscon Toad
4 year old Basset hound