Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2019, 08:40 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 35 M
State: New York
THOR #6832
Tran problem 2018 windsport

Noticed when traveling from Yuma to San Diego coming down from 8000 ft that the tranny shifts down into a very low gear pinning the rpms. To get it out I have to either hit the gas or put in neutral. Pretty scary when coming down. Next week I have to go back to yuma and am a little worried. Called Ford they were no help. The Ford 150 was just recalled because of something similar. Ford says not my Triton v 10. Called my mechanic back home in NY who said try unhooked negative cable on battery to reset factory setting. The rig seems well on flat land.
Any suggestions. May have to come back to San Diego for family and then 2 weeks later back over that nasty mtn for NY. Cannot take it to Ford here.
THANKS in advance

Old 02-18-2019, 08:55 PM   #2

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Thats not too uncommon. You can find a few thread on tranny shifting if you look. Many will upgrade to the 5 star tune... it adds more HP and TQ but the shifting is great inpoved (from what I hear.... I have not pulled the trigger yet on this mod).

What RPM's are you talking about? 4000? 5000?. Does It only happens on steep long grades? The more you press on the break the more it will down shift to help slow you down. I noticed this myself. Drives me crazy.

You may not have any issues.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:04 PM   #3

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Also, if you are on "cruise control" the transmission will try to hold the set speed which could result in downshifts way lower than you would do if not on cruise control.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:38 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary d View Post
Noticed when traveling from Yuma to San Diego coming down from 8000 ft that the tranny shifts down into a very low gear pinning the rpms. To get it out I have to either hit the gas or put in neutral. Pretty scary when coming down. Next week I have to go back to yuma and am a little worried. Called Ford they were no help. The Ford 150 was just recalled because of something similar. Ford says not my Triton v 10. Called my mechanic back home in NY who said try unhooked negative cable on battery to reset factory setting. The rig seems well on flat land.
Any suggestions. May have to come back to San Diego for family and then 2 weeks later back over that nasty mtn for NY. Cannot take it to Ford here.
THANKS in advance
The Triton V-10 is an overhead cam engine and as such is able to stand much higher rpms than push-rod, overhead valve engines. The the ECU (engines computer) limits the V-10 in the motor homes to 5,200 rpm. This engine can sustain operation in the 4,500 to 5,200 rpm range without any damage. Should the coach still continue to accelerate in the present gear the transmission will up-shift rather than over-rev the engine. Unless you see the tachometer go above 5,400 rpm just enjoy the noise. Of course you can disengage the cruise control, show down shift into second and motor down the mountain with all the heavy trucks. This is what I do when out west, as I feel 40 mph on a 6% grade descent is the max speed I feel safe in my 23,000 lb rig.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 11:23 PM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Sounds like the tranny is working how it should. By dropping down in gears it saves your brakes. I drive the Cajon and Tehon passes regularly. I let the tranny do the work to keep my speed under control.

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 12:15 AM   #6

Model: Citation
THOR #8139
Hopefully your using tow/haul and not cruise coming down (or up)a mountain .

As mentioned above 5200rpm is OK for the V10.
We're on our 2nd v10, f53 and now a E450, coming down Raton pass New Mexico and Colorado border puts us at 5200 coming down in both directions.
Once I turned the tow/haul off pinched a new button hole in the seat getting the f53 slowed down. Turned it back on and hit the brakes firmly 2 times and back at 5200.
Old 02-19-2019, 04:23 AM   #7

THOR #12231
I for one hate to hear my engine rev higher than 4200 - 4500..... thats why im working on my Twin RV parachute system.

I try to scub off the speed as best as I can with the brakes then let them cool for a few minutes (I never ride them). But I have not taken mine into real mtn yet (like CO).
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 02-19-2019, 12:25 PM   #8

THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
I for one hate to hear my engine rev higher than 4200 - 4500..... thats why im working on my Twin RV parachute system.

I try to scub off the speed as best as I can with the brakes then let them cool for a few minutes (I never ride them). But I have not taken mine into real mtn yet (like CO).

Same here...go slower and let the wind help. I have an engine brake that helps but a slower speed and occasional press of the brakes keeps RPM's low, the engine sleeping and the ride very smooth. With engine brake engaged trans only drops down one gear and holds speed.
Old 02-19-2019, 02:26 PM   #9

THOR #12231
Yeah rub it in.... Jake brakes and diesels engines are awesome for going up and DOWN mtn's. LOL

Maybe one of these days I will get a small (35 foot) DP and have robots serve me pizza at the fire side. LOL.
Old 02-19-2019, 03:07 PM   #10

THOR #11130
Just call Uber....they can toss you one "Frisbee" style out the window as you coast down that hill.
Old 02-19-2019, 04:54 PM   #11

THOR #12231
Hey, I think your on to something.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:53 PM   #12

THOR #6832
Tranny

Thanks to all for advice. I don’t use cruise when I tow. My only concern is when I’m at bottom of mtn the Tran stays in low gear and I have to either hit the gas real hard or slip into neutral and then back to drive. Is that normal. I keep the shifter in drive and it auto slips to lower gear which is normal I believe. Just dont like when it doesn’t upshift auto. Thanks guys
Old 02-21-2019, 01:11 AM   #13

Model: Citation
THOR #8139
Sounds normal and not normal.

Sounds normal for tow/haul and cruise control, they are both very aggressive about holding a lower gear. They both get on my nerves so I turn them OFF let shift happen then turn which ever one I'm using back on.
I HATE cruise... set at 65, shifts down at 64 will not shift up till 70 .

Not normal for plain ol drive.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:52 AM   #14

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
THOR #6414
I've found in both my past and current V10 when in tow/haul mode that if I gently depress the brake to scrub a couple MPH then gently roll into the throttle to accelerate at the bottom of the mountain it will generally upshift as normal and continue to upshift as normal as I regain speed.
Old 02-21-2019, 06:14 AM   #15

THOR #6832
Yeah my problem is it stays in low. I have floor the pedal for it to come back
Old 02-21-2019, 09:32 AM   #16

Model: 25.2 axis
State: South Carolina
THOR #3992
Trans

Mine does the same thing especially with the cruise on .tries to slow you down no worries as long as it doesn't go past the red line. Would never shifted it up in neutral putting a lot of strain on your brakes going downhill get them things hot you are in trouble. Not saying there's something wrong with your transmission .Iet the engine whine but it sounds like it's going to come through the floor. Want to get a diesel with a jake brake then you still got the same trouble steep inclines are bad on anything.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:20 PM   #17

THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by nautiquecowboy View Post
Mine does the same thing especially with the cruise on .tries to slow you down no worries as long as it doesn't go past the red line. Would never shifted it up in neutral putting a lot of strain on your brakes going downhill get them things hot you are in trouble. Not saying there's something wrong with your transmission .Iet the engine whine but it sounds like it's going to come through the floor. Want to get a diesel with a jake brake then you still got the same trouble steep inclines are bad on anything.

Last statement...not true. There's a huge difference in how they work vs. transmission and it only shifts down one gear. The slower you go, the more it will downshift, but one stage is enough to maintain controlled speed.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:44 PM   #18

Model: 25.2 axis
State: South Carolina
THOR #3992
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Last statement...not true. There's a huge difference in how they work vs. transmission and it only shifts down one gear. The slower you go, the more it will downshift, but one stage is enough to maintain controlled speed.
Not sure if you're understanding me or not I know that the engine is not slowing the coach down put the transmission gearing down and on a diesel Jake brake releases compression on the engine which slows it down trucks I drove straight drives you always put it in a lower gear going downhill and hope it never popped out ex truck driver use Jake brake plenty of times
Old 02-21-2019, 02:23 PM   #19
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Not sure if you're understanding me or not I know that the engine is not slowing the coach down put the transmission gearing down and on a diesel Jake brake releases compression on the engine which slows it down trucks I drove straight drives you always put it in a lower gear going downhill and hope it never popped out ex truck driver use Jake brake plenty of times
It would be easier to understand you if you used punctuation, didn't post in a single run-on sentence, and proof-read your post before posting it.

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 02:29 PM   #20

THOR #11130
Quote:

I do understand these systems. Class A CDL for many years (all endorsements). Jacobs Brake works completely opposite of exhaust brakes. My motorhome doesn't have a straight shift. The exhaust brake will cause the transmission to downshift as it decreases/restricts (traps compression vs, release) engine speed. I speak from current "butt in the seat" experience.