Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2019, 04:16 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #3340
Unhappy Electricity flickers while on shore power

There is a park maintenance guy coming to check the pole but I was just wondering before he gets here if you guys know of any reason in my coach that could be causing this. 2014 Thor Axis

Old 02-23-2019, 12:14 PM   #2

THOR #4735
what exactly do you mean by 'flickering'...?

WHAT is 'flickering', everything? or just the fridge, or some lights?
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 12:56 PM   #3

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #4366
If you get lights flickering when the A/C cycles or the MW this could be a loose connection in your shore power. Check AC connections at the convertor and the transfer switch if you have one. Do this with the shore power cable disconnected for your safety. It's a more common problem at the shore power pedestal.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 02:38 PM   #4

THOR #3340
The lights, TV, microwave clock come on/off quickly. The park sent an electrician right out. He found ants nested in the 30 amp (I was plugged into the 50 amp using an adapter - maybe the adapter was faulty?). He didn’t have a 50 amp replacement so will return today to replace that. In the meantime no more “flickering”. I was concerned that it may have something to do with the inverter.
Old 02-23-2019, 02:52 PM   #5

THOR #4735
chances are, this rv park or campground doesn't get much use on the 50amp service, which is mainly for larger rigs, so the ants have taken over... it happens a lot.

some inverters do cause flickering, mine does from time to time, mainly noticeable on the fridge light, but only when on the inverter only.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 12:28 AM   #6

THOR #3340
The problem progressed to no power either on shore power or generator. Called Thor and they went thru a check list but ended up with no answers. Called a Mobil tech who is here in the park and he traced it to the transfer switch. Thor sent him an electrical diagram which showed that the switch was on the outer wall by the heater. He removed the heater and pulled out the switch - the neutral wire insulation was burned about two inches above the connection and there were scorch marks on the top of the switch case. He reconnected bypassing the switch. New one ordered from PPL and installed. All’s well now. So even though I was on shore power the switch affected my coach electricity because it also modulates(?) the neutral connection. If you’re in the Rio Grande Valley I’d definitely recommend Fair RV Inspection, Tim Fairchild: 712/299-5112