Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2019, 01:47 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Michigan
THOR #17235
Electronic Gremlins in 29M?

This is really weird.
We bought a used 2020 Hurricane 29M 3 weeks ago, (1300 miles) due to current Michigan weather it has not left our driveway since I drove it home. Yesterday was relatively mild so I spent some time in the coach trying out the various systems. I started the engine, deployed the stabilizer pads, extended the slide, ran the furnace, the TV, the NAV system, turned lights on/off all while connected to shore power. The batteries were fully charged so I unplugged from shore power, started the inverter then ran the furnace, the TV, the lights, the power step, the NAV, the wifi booster. The coach was unplugged from shore power for about 5 hours and during that entire time I was inside, the lights were on and the furnace cycled numerous times to keep it warm. Before going back into the house for the evening I reconnected to shore power so batteries would recharge, I turned off the furnace and all lights. It was dark so I known all lights were off and nothing was running. The only sound inside the coach when I left was the fan on the power converter.
Now here is the weird part:
I'm an early riser so I was up before dawn this morning and when I looked out at the coach the awning lights were on and the inside lights were on! I went out to investigate and found the furnace was running, the water pump was running (winterized so no water) the bathroom exhaust fan was running, the awning was partially extended 10 " or so. I looked at the central control panel and there was a triangle fault symbol flashing but no text or red lights to indicate what the fault was. Looking at the G9 output screen it indicated the water heater was on electric AND gas (it was on, I felt the tank and it was hot, again no water) it showed the awning was extended AND retracted, it showed the tank heat pads were on (could not confirm), the "RR compressor" was on (not sure about this, if it means the rear AC compressor is on then it can't be, because I don't have a rear AC unit. The real kicker is that I am SURE the generator had 3.? hours on it last night and this morning it shows 4.2 hours! I have never even run the generator since I bought it!
The generator engine was not warm so if it did run in the night it was at least a couple of hours earlier. There may have been a few other strange things, but this post is getting long and I think you get the idea.
So I shut everything down manually that I could from the control panel, then disconnected from shore power and switched off the main battery disconnect. Everything was now off, even the control panel screen. I waited about 1 minute then turned the battery switch back on. The control panel lit up and all the G9 outputs were now off and the only G9 input on was the park brake as it should be, because the brake was engaged. Then I went back in for breakfast. As soon as I am done with this post I am going back out and plug back into shore power and see what happens.
Has anyone had anything like this happen to them?
Does anyone have any ideas what might have caused this?
I ordered a Progressive EMS/surge protector last week but it has not come yet so I suppose a surge is possible but the coach is plugged into our house service and there was no indication of any outage or other problems in the house.

Thanks in advance for any help, and a special thanks to anyone with the patience to read the whole post!
-Ken
PS: all coach doors and panels were locked all night, I do not think anyone gained access during the night.

Old 11-21-2019, 02:09 PM   #2

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
Welcome to the world of modern electronics control. I prefer to old school ways. Watching this.
Old 11-21-2019, 02:39 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 02:55 PM   #4

THOR #17235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
This 2020 coach was built in June, the previous owners bought it in August and it came back to the same dealer in October. Hmmmm. I’m starting to wonder if it might be possessed!
Old 11-21-2019, 03:55 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I'd be curious as to why it was traded back in so quickly...
Did you happen to purchase an extended warranty with it?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 04:10 PM   #6

THOR #17235
No extended warranty.
My above description of events may sound pretty dire but everything is working normally this morning, and at this point I am not too worried about major problems with anything. I was just wondering if anyone else had had a similar experience. This coach has a central digital panel that integrates and controls almost everything. I even downloaded an app on my iPhone that lets me do some things remotely. I am not normally an early adopter of technology but I am comfortable with it. I think that by powering everything down and restarting I "rebooted" the cpu (think computers and Microsoft Windows) and now all is well again. Time will tell.
I am spending time out there again today so I will update this thread later on.
-Ken
Old 11-21-2019, 10:38 PM   #7

THOR #17235
Just in case anyone is watching this thread, I spent some time out in the coach today and all is well, so I guess I won't be needing an exorcist after all. Everything seems to work normally on batteries, generator, and shore power. It is cold, windy, and raining tonight so we will see what that does.
-Ken
Old 11-22-2019, 02:50 AM   #8

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
From the sound of it you might want to contact tech support at Firefly Integrations and advise them of what you experienced recently with your various loads coming on by themselves. There have been many posts on this forum over the last few years with their systems doing strange things such as moving slides with no human initiation etc. (very dangerous stuff as you can imagine). I understand Firefly is very responsive and they can verify that your system manager has current software/firmware etc. Not sure if this is the correct web link below, but your manuals should have the correct contact info if it is not.

Firefly System
Old 11-22-2019, 02:09 PM   #9

THOR #17235
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin View Post
From the sound of it you might want to contact tech support at Firefly Integrations and advise them of what you experienced recently with your various loads coming on by themselves. There have been many posts on this forum over the last few years with their systems doing strange things such as moving slides with no human initiation etc. (very dangerous stuff as you can imagine). I understand Firefly is very responsive and they can verify that your system manager has current software/firmware etc. Not sure if this is the correct web link below, but your manuals should have the correct contact info if it is not.

Firefly System
Thanks Javelin, I have been doing some research and came to that same conclusion.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:02 PM   #10

THOR #12468
Good luck, I have a 2019 Thor Hurricane, has been in the shop for over 90 days in the past 7 months because of basically the same problems, wait until you get on the road and everything stops working or heat and air are running together. Hot water stops, lights go on and off. Inverter failed, It’s the fire fly no one can seem to figure out what wires are shorting out, must be a screw in the miles of buried wires. Good luck
Old 12-04-2019, 10:19 PM   #11
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Just for giggles, have you checked to see if the AGS was enabled and what the settings are for auto gen start?
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 11:59 PM   #12

State: California
THOR #11237
Are you sure the previous owner isn’t still connected and remote controlling things?
Old 12-05-2019, 12:10 AM   #13

Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
THOR #9033
Creepy...too much supposed to be automatic these days. Setting stuff remotely etc. crazy stuff. Smart houses? Our Hurricane has a remote to operate awning, lights, etc etc and I don't use it. Is there a remote of some sort in your coach and could there have been interference with the wireless signal to do all that? Remember how garage doors operate because of air traffic, two way radios, microwaves etc?
Old 12-05-2019, 10:25 AM   #14

THOR #17235
Follow up:
After experiencing the previously described problem I contacted Firefly Integrations. They quickly responded and asked for the "GUI" version and the "Logic Controller" version of my system. My coach is a 2020 Thor Hurricane, built in June 2019 and had version 2.3 installed when I purchased it. (I am the second owner) They sent me a USB stick (received it the very next day) with version 2.8 which the Firefly rep said would correct the problem. I installed it and so far no more issues. While on the phone I asked the rep what the actual problem was and his answer was something vague and general like "the controller was misfiring outputs" that was obvious to me but I didn't press him. He probably knew what the actual problem was but did not want to elaborate. As far as the previous owner still being able to control the system via bluetooth, I doubt it since it is password protected and we don't even have any close neighbors. If anyone has a similar problem I recommend contacting Firefly Integrations, they were quick and helpful.
-Ken
Old 12-05-2019, 01:28 PM   #15

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Thanks for letting the forum know what has resolved your Firefly system problems with that excellent writeup.

What I find strange is why Firefly and Thor can't seem to get together to ensure that all affected coaches already sold and those still being constructed or on Dealer lots, can't ensure that the latest software/firmware is installed. This is a potentially dangerous situation......if slides and appliances etc. start operating on their own. Glad you have resolved your situation.
Old 12-13-2019, 04:02 AM   #16

Model: 28z
State: Idaho
THOR #1797
Tech

And we are going to have driver less cars and truck, I hope they do not have the same programmer.