Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2017, 11:37 AM   #1
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Watch those slide topperrs

While we were at the Cape Hatteras KOA the past week we experience some high winds without rain. One night we were getting gusts up to 40 MPH. We had our slides out and I noticed my living room slide, the longest on the coach, would have the topper billow about a foot during these gusts. We retracted that slide to prevent damage to the topper.

A couple of notes. When it was raining there was no issue because the weight of rain on the topper would hold it down. Also, at the high point in the billow I could see there was still a couple at least a foot of material around the roller. I may look at increasing the tension on that particular roller to see if that helps. The coach was rockin and rollin during the week and it wasn't because of momma and me; it was due to what mother nature was whipping on us with winds. The sustained winds were so high the road construction crews could not work.

The other two slides, on the other side of the coach did not have the same problem.

2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:51 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2014 Windsport 34f
State: Alabama
THOR #6507
Great information, Thanks!
Toad: (Wally One) 2014 Fiat 500L Trekking (4 Down)
"Welcome to our front porch"
rickymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 12:55 PM   #3

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Dave - ditto on the advise. I had the dining room slide on our 37TB billow while on the road. WOW At first didn't know what was making the loud noise. Then saw out the side mirror. Got off the road quickly, opened and closed the slide a few times and then parked for the night. I saw $s flying and billowing with the slide cover. Later, when it was warmer, I opened the slide and played out the material to get the "wrinkles" out of the material.

Lucky - best advise is close the slides.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:50 PM   #4

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
I know slide toppers on our fivers could make some noise while camped in high winds, but never had actual damage to them.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:39 PM   #5

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
From everything I have read, the awning slides are designed to do this. The first time I was camped in strong winds my bedroom slide topper would billow but always retract when the wind would subside. If they didn't do that they could rip off. Anyway, if the noise becomes too annoying just pull back in the slide while asleep but I don't think it actually hurts anything. I do agree the squeaking sound of the spring caused by the billowing can make it hard to sleep.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:17 PM   #6

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Once the threads deteriorate the holes from the stitching act like zipper. Fortunately the fabric replacement isn't too expensive & with a friend with an extra ladder it's not difficult to replace. Just replaced mine on the second longest slide & it was $115 shipped & took us about 30 minutes to install due to constantly moving ladders.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:58 PM   #7

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
In our former DP, with four big slides, we were on the Oregon coast for 2 months, wind howling probably 75% of the time. Slide toppers flapped, billowed and often woke us during the night, but no damage. Hopefully they are as tough on the Gemini.