Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2018, 02:41 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 26b
State: California
THOR #11638
Emergency Flashers = Camera Freak-out

Recently I was driving in a windstorm (my first in an RV! Wow!) and when the wind started pushing me into the next lane a bit I slowed down to 50 and put my emergency flashers on. Well, lo and behold, my Axxera AVM70 decided I would definitely benefit from a neon-sign-style view from my left side-mirror camera... on, off, on, off... non-stop. Except, of course when it thought I just might need to see the right side of my rig. So it obligingly showed that side once in a while. It might not have been so bad if it hadn't been so very dark outside and the camera view hadn't been so very bright.

Has anyone else had this problem? I have a dr. appointment for the rig on Thursday. Hopefully they'll be able to fix it. If not, it'll definitely need a transplant.

SheepyChateau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 03:37 AM   #2

Model: Chateau 28F
State: Colorado
THOR #2768
Well, I hate to tell you but that is what you get when you turn on the emergency flashers. The radio cycles through all cameras. Save your appointment for something that is fixable..
Old 05-15-2018, 04:20 AM   #3

THOR #11638
Seriously??!! That's insane.

Thanks for the heads up. We have some damage in the bathroom that needs to be repaired: the wall to the left of the bathroom vanity has split horizontally. Looks like two pieces of wood were used and the smaller one, nearer the floor, moved outward and tore the wallpaper. There's also damage to the right of the split. It looks like a screw or nail ripped a hole. Such fun.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:26 AM   #4

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
There is a small silver switch box under the dash that controls the cameras. The box receives a signal from each of the turn signals and reverse gear, reverse has priority over the turn signals. When you put the emergency flashers on you are sending two signals to the box at the same time and it doesn’t know which one to process. Having the flashers on won’t hurt anything, if it gets to annoying turn the monitor off. Personally I don’t use the side cameras and disconnected the turn signal trigger wires.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:50 AM   #5

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
I strongly dislike vehicles running in the rain with flashers going. I never know if they're hitting the brake or what. Waiting for the "next flash" or solid brake lights takes a few seconds away from react time. It's very distracting and will cause someone to eventually rear end you. I usually put the brights on if I'm behind a driver that does this. If it gets that bad...pull over or take the next exit until it clears. What you experienced is exactly what it looks like for the driver behind you. Plus...it's illegal to run with flashers on.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 11:08 AM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
I strongly dislike vehicles running in the rain with flashers going. I never know if they're hitting the brake or what. Waiting for the "next flash" or solid brake lights takes a few seconds away from react time. It's very distracting and will cause someone to eventually rear end you. I usually put the brights on if I'm behind a driver that does this. If it gets that bad...pull over or take the next exit until it clears. What you experienced is exactly what it looks like for the driver behind you. Plus...it's illegal to run with flashers on.
Exactly!! One of my pet peeves here in Florida. If you want to put your flashers on pull over to the shoulder and stop.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 11:16 AM   #7

THOR #11130
And, if you do get rear ended while underway with flashers going...you will be charged with the accident. It's the law.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:20 AM   #8
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Yes I also have a distaste for this: Its not like we all need a warning that its raining. I figured it was just a warning to other drivers that that driver just doesn't know how to drive in the rain so stay away lest you want to be crashed into!
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 11:43 AM   #9

Model: Mandalay
THOR #11268
dont drive with your flashers on ....period..
Old 05-15-2018, 11:49 AM   #10

THOR #11130
"I figured it was just a warning to other drivers that that driver just doesn't know how to drive"

Exactly...what more do you need than two more lights on your dash flashing in your already blinded eyes. Flashers do NOTHING for you as a driver as they are all outside the vehicle. Using them is a seriously mistaken assumption that everyone else around you is as blind and incapable to drive in those conditions as you are.
Old 05-15-2018, 01:19 PM   #11

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
Don't hold back now, guys. Tell us how you really feel!
So, seriously, how do you feel about a any RV (MH, trailer) using the flashers while climbing a steep grade slowly? As an ex truck driver I am inclined by habit to turn on my flashers when moving slowly up a hill.
Old 05-15-2018, 01:35 PM   #12

THOR #11130
There are certain conditions where this is expected and safe to do so. I've stopped in a gas tanker and charter buses to cross RR tracks, etc. Generally, and in those conditions up mountain passes, there are special lanes for this. And, for the record, I apologize if I sound a bit harsh...I've had to react dangerously one too many times to people poking along in the center or left lanes, in pouring rain, with flashers on.
Old 05-15-2018, 01:36 PM   #13
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99dart View Post
Don't hold back now, guys. Tell us how you really feel! [emoji38]
So, seriously, how do you feel about a any RV (MH, trailer) using the flashers while climbing a steep grade slowly? As an ex truck driver I am inclined by habit to turn on my flashers when moving slowly up a hill.
I think that is a different case as only that vehicle is moving slow so it is a traffic hazard (when it's raining everyone is in the rain and going about the same speed).

The hazards in that case warn people long before they get to the vehicle that its moving slow up the hill.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 04:12 PM   #14
lug

Model: ACE 32.1
THOR #11442
My 32.1 reverts to the back up camera when the hazard flashers are on. I guess Thor took a cue from Airbus and calls it's quirks "a feature".
Old 05-15-2018, 04:22 PM   #15

THOR #11130
Bottom line...we all have those "Oh-S" moments and MH's triple in size during this adrenaline rush. If you must use "emergency" flashers while underway for any reason that calms you down or makes traffic safer in your opinion, move over to the "emergency" lane...out of traffic. You see big trucks struggling up mountain passes with flashers on...where are they? As far to the right, out of the traffic flow as best they can.
Old 05-15-2018, 05:25 PM   #16

THOR #11638
Quote:
There are certain conditions where this is expected and safe to do so. I've stopped in a gas tanker and charter buses to cross RR tracks, etc. Generally, and in those conditions up mountain passes, there are special lanes for this. And, for the record, I apologize if I sound a bit harsh...I've had to react dangerously one too many times to people poking along in the center or left lanes, in pouring rain, with flashers on.
Yeah, I felt a bit attacked there, Gritz, and some others. I'm here to join a community, to help and to be helped. Please be instructive, but kind. Thank you.

I turned on the hazard lights because I was driving 50 mph in a 65 mph zone, in the dark, on an unfamiliar highway, on my first RV trip, with wind gusts pushing my rig 6-8" toward the lane to my left. I wanted other drivers, who might have been more familiar with the road and therefore traveling at speed, to be aware of my slower speed and the buffeting of my rig by the wind… an emergency situation. It was NOT raining. It was a windstorm. Those stronger gusts only happened twice. At no time did my rig even begin to tip, so I continued driving. If the storm had gotten worse I would have exited the highway as soon as I could find somewhere to do so (the shoulder was practically non-existent, so pulling over was not an option). Also, I had a former school bus driver traveling with me (my mom) and she did not indicate I should pull over/stop/leave the highway. And believe me, she would have… in no uncertain terms. She has successfully backed a full-sized school bus down a steep country dirt road, in the snow, with kids on it, because her turn-around spot was snowed in. She was also forced into a ditch in a school bus, with kids on it, because a logging truck came around a blind corner partially in her lane. She was able to put the bus in the ditch without hurting any of the kids, and with minimum damage to the bus. She’s a very safe, very experienced driver, as am I. I was able to keep the rig in my lane for the most part and was actually proud of myself for driving well in my first windstorm in a vehicle that basically acted like a sail.

That was only the 2nd or 3rd time in 38 years of driving that I have used hazard lights while in motion. I don't do it lightly. And I really appreciate it when the truckers and others use their hazards to indicate an emergency situation ahead of me because it gives me time to change lanes to move around them. Thank you, 99Dart, and other former truckers!

Thank you, everyone, for the heads up about the legality of driving with hazard lights on! I appreciate it! I looked it up... it's only illegal (period) to drive with hazard lights on in 10 US states and Puerto Rico. They are are: Alaska, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Kansas, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Nevada, New Mexico, Rhode Island. It’s legal to do so in California. (Hazard Light Use - AAA Digest of Motor Laws)

I’m looking forward to learning from the experienced RV drivers on this forum!
Old 05-15-2018, 05:26 PM   #17

THOR #11638
Quote:
Thanks for the apology! I appreciate it very much.
Old 05-15-2018, 05:42 PM   #18

THOR #11638
Quote:
Bottom line...we all have those "Oh-S" moments and MH's triple in size during this adrenaline rush. If you must use "emergency" flashers while underway for any reason that calms you down or makes traffic safer in your opinion, move over to the "emergency" lane...out of traffic. You see big trucks struggling up mountain passes with flashers on...where are they? As far to the right, out of the traffic flow as best they can.
Hey, Gritz. I was in the right hand lane on a divided highway, with only two lanes each way. No shoulder... nowhere else to go. It was not steep, it was only slightly hilly. I used the hazards because other vehicles had to pass me right next to my rig. If there had been a wide shoulder/emergency lane I definitely would have been in it. I'm a safe and sensible driver, and even more so in the RV. If I'm driving my car on the highway I will often move out of the far right lane if an RV or semi comes up behind me, so they don't to slow down to change lanes in order to go around me. Before we bought the Chateau I always thought it must be a pain to change lanes in those larger rigs in traffic. Now I know it is!

Have a good one!
Old 05-15-2018, 06:39 PM   #19

THOR #11638
Quote:
Originally Posted by lug View Post
My 32.1 reverts to the back up camera when the hazard flashers are on. I guess Thor took a cue from Airbus and calls it's quirks "a feature".
Old 05-15-2018, 06:40 PM   #20

THOR #11638
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepyChateau View Post
Hey, Gritz. I was in the right hand lane on a divided highway, with only two lanes each way. No shoulder... nowhere else to go. It was not steep, it was only slightly hilly. I used the hazards because other vehicles had to pass me right next to my rig. If there had been a wide shoulder/emergency lane I definitely would have been in it. I'm a safe and sensible driver, and even more so in the RV. If I'm driving my car on the highway I will often move out of the far right lane if an RV or semi comes up behind me, so they don't to slow down to change lanes in order to go around me. Before we bought the Chateau I always thought it must be a pain to change lanes in those larger rigs in traffic. Now I know it is!

Have a good one!
* ... so they don't have to slow down...