Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2020, 02:09 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Arkansas
THOR #11266
Engine Air Filter

Ok...someone tell me what I am doing wrong or overlooking. The air cleaner housing has 3 small clamps on the front. I cannot feel any on the back. But something is holding the lid on, and I cannot budge it. It feels like the back is secured, but I cannot tell how. What do I need to do to get to my filter?

2015 Ford Explorer XLT Toad
Fish and Dear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 08:57 PM   #2

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Did you try to raise the side that is clamped by itself, the back has notches the cover slides into
Old 09-01-2020, 02:25 AM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Lift the front with the clips a little then push the cover back. The back has grooves that lock onto tabs in the back of the bottom of the housing
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 05:15 AM   #4

Model: 2016 Hurricane 29M
THOR #8249
Halfprice is right. But it can still be a pain. Mine has a flex conduit running over the top making it aggravating to get the top off.
I'm so going to change that box out to an open element K&N soon!!
Wrpt58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 05:27 AM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
Yes its a pain but you only need to open it far enough to remove the old filter and put new one in
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 01:02 PM   #6

State: Arkansas
THOR #11266
Thanks everyone. I assumed there must be some tabs in the back, but I just could not feel them. I give it a harder wiggle and pop them loose.
2015 Ford Explorer XLT Toad
Fish and Dear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 07:09 PM   #7

State: Florida
THOR #17954
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Lift the front with the clips a little then push the cover back. The back has grooves that lock onto tabs in the back of the bottom of the housing

Got new air filter in. Now top won’t go back on. Just won’t come forward and to the left. Hits wiper motor. Even force won’t align an re hook rear tabs. Any suggestions.? I noticed wiper motor bracket is slotted. Maybe it moves. I’m working on my ACE 30.1
Old 02-06-2021, 09:04 PM   #8

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #8180
On my 30.2 the wiper motor has to be removed to change the air filter. Stupid I know...
Old 02-06-2021, 09:33 PM   #9

THOR #17954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonnemarc View Post
On my 30.2 the wiper motor has to be removed to change the air filter. Stupid I know...

Well, looks like the only option here on the 30.1. I even opened the doghouse but NOPE. Wiper motor doesn’t look like to bad of a project. Oh well guess Thor thought air cleaner would last forever. Guess I’ll clean dusty engine Shoot it’s spring cleaning time here in Florida. Lol
Thanks
Stay safe
Old 02-06-2021, 10:06 PM   #10

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
On my Towed Escape you have to pull the air filter to change the battery, engineers often just make things fit, not necessarily in a convenient way
Old 02-06-2021, 10:59 PM   #11

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
On my Towed Escape you have to pull the air filter to change the battery, engineers often just make things fit, not necessarily in a convenient way
On our old Chrysler Sebring the battery is accessed by the driver wheelwell, easier just to remove the wheel.
Old 02-06-2021, 11:40 PM   #12

THOR #17954
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post

Yup, they want the service dollars too. Guess it’s a crime to work on your own vehicle.

Stay safe
Old 02-07-2021, 08:50 PM   #13

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
THOR #2812
My 1974 Chevy Monza, small V-8, had to release a motor mount and tilt the engine with a jack to change spark plugs.
Later years they had panel in wheel well you could access the plugs with the wheel removed.
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 10:28 PM   #14

THOR #17954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan2 View Post
My 1974 Chevy Monza, small V-8, had to release a motor mount and tilt the engine with a jack to change spark plugs.
Later years they had panel in wheel well you could access the plugs with the wheel removed.

Hey small world I had. 1975 2 + 2 Monza V8 too. You got it undo motor mount jack up engine. Remember it well. Car had it’s other quirks too. It’s funny try and find one now. Not even collecting material. Horrible design led to it’s death. Chevy had some clunkers. I actually enjoyed mine for a while[emoji30]
Guess Thor engineers went to Chevy classes. Lol

Stay safe
Old 02-07-2021, 11:29 PM   #15

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Haven’t seen a Monza in maybe decades! See Pintos and Chevettes more than those!
Old 02-08-2021, 12:31 AM   #16

State: Texas
THOR #11781
Vice Grip Garage on youTube has a couple of videos on racing an old Monza.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 03:04 PM   #17

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
I had an old post regarding the replacement of the engine air filter on my 2013 ACE 30.1 V10 engine. Look down the post attached and check the pictures and diagrams for the notches in the rear lid of the air box. It might also apply to other coaches. Once you release the front clamps you have to slightly lift and push the air box lid straight back hard to release the rear as I recall. Once you replace the air filter make sure you properly replace the air box lid at the rear first to make a proper seal.

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8...blem-1967.html
Old 02-09-2021, 04:59 PM   #18

THOR #17954
Thanks Javelin, not sure of change since 2013 but cover would not go back on. Not a tap issue but clearance issue with wiper motor. Removed motor, less than ten minute job. Had all kinds of room. Lid on an off easily. Re installed motor all set. Looks like when the recall on the wiper systems was done by previous owner, whoever installed motor messed up location. Or the factory put motor there in 2015 when unit was built on chassis. Pretty lame

Thanks stay safe
Old 02-09-2021, 05:28 PM   #19

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Glad the motor removal option was workable for you. My 2013 ACE has not required any changes to the wiper motor or linkages (so far) and passed its Thor recall for “inspection on the wiper system” a couple years ago. The OEM wiper motor clearance to the air box top is very tight, so a larger replacement motor could cause problems as you found out.

At least you have Florida temps to work on it; we have about -47F today in Alberta with wind chill. Might have to wear long pants instead of shorts to start the barbecue today.
Old 02-09-2021, 06:17 PM   #20

THOR #17954
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin View Post
Glad the motor removal option was workable for you. My 2013 ACE has not required any changes to the wiper motor or linkages (so far) and passed its Thor recall for “inspection on the wiper system” a couple years ago. The OEM wiper motor clearance to the air box top is very tight, so a larger replacement motor could cause problems as you found out.

At least you have Florida temps to work on it; we have about -47F today in Alberta with wind chill. Might have to wear long pants instead of shorts to start the barbecue today.

Thanks again. Enjoying an 84 degree F day here. Thinks that’s 28. Something C . Yikes -47. Well start the barbecue early and keep the lid on.
Not sure but my wiper motor looked like the original mount. Paperwork said it passed the recall. Other than our generator fiasco (resolved) we are very pleased with our 2015 ACE 30.1. Got 53k on her but she’s kept like new. Wish COVID was more under control. Can’t even get a site in Florida. Guess everyone is fleeing here. Just got our first dose of vaccine so it’s a start. My wife an I miss being on the road exploring. Soon I hope. Stay warm and safe. Hear Alberta is beautiful. Well not in winter burr. Gonna visit someday.
Regards Luke