Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-29-2021, 12:39 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar
State: California
THOR #22927
Engine Battery-Coach Batteries Solar

Ne be question. I am hooking up a solar panel to keep my four six volt batteries charged for the coach . What about the engine battery? I can go by every couple weeks and start the engine, or separate solar system?

Thanks for your input

Old 10-29-2021, 12:50 PM   #2

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
MHs usually have a Precision Circuits BIM 160 or an Intellitec BIRD to manage coach to chassis battery connections. If they are working properly then any charge to the coach battery will be passed on to the chassis battery if it gets a bit low.

I have the BIM 160 on my 2021 Axis and it is a little hard to check as the chassis battery has to drop to 12.5 volts for the connection to be made.

I think I would set it up as you propose, then check the chassis battery voltage after a month in storage.

David
Old 10-29-2021, 02:12 PM   #3

THOR #22927
Thanks
Old 10-29-2021, 02:22 PM   #4

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Check that BIM 160. Mine was drawing power from chassis when coach low. Bim replaced as good will from Thor
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 03:03 PM   #5

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Check that BIM 160. Mine was drawing power from chassis when coach low. Bim replaced as good will from Thor
Ours is a 2020 (2019 Ford E-350 cutaway chassis). Shortly after we bought it new, the dealer contacted us - there was a recall on the Precision Circuits Battery Isolation Manager (BIM-160). It was replaced under warranty.

If you create an account with the Thor Owner's Resource web portal, you can find exactly what is installed in your coach. There is also an explanation of the method it uses to keep both coach AND chassis batteries charged.
Old 10-29-2021, 03:49 PM   #6

THOR #22927
Thanks.,I noticed the 160 info says good for solar. It doesn’t mean connect solar cable to this, does it. I thought solar went to positive then negative to ground. Thanks for info.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5E8E432A-6373-43EB-A79D-5FEA603FD3C6.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	34494  
Old 10-29-2021, 04:43 PM   #7

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
The solar panels charge your house batteries via a solar charge controller - which regulates the voltage and amperage flowing into the batteries. The chassis battery is connected to this circuit via the BIM. There is a wiring diagram in the Precision Circuits literature.

The BIM is kind of like an electronic switch/controller, whose primary purpose is to prevent the chassis battery from being excessively drained, which would present a "no engine start" situation. It regulates charging of the chassis battery - regardless of where that charge comes from. In the event the chassis battery is drained, the BIM also allows connecting to the house batteries (using the emergency start switch) to start the coach engine.