RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-29-2020, 12:11 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Missouri
Posts: 18
THOR #16898
Exclamation Engine Died 2001 Thor Hurricane

So Drove my Thor Hurricane Class A from Tyler Texas to Charleston Missouri this week and it died upon entering Charleston! No Electric to the engine. Battery was checked and had a full 14 volts charge to it so is it a fuse? An Alternator? Mechanically non-inclined. Any tips would be appreciated. I was able to get it towed the last 5 blocks to behind mom's house where it sits now. Closest RV Repair shop is YoungBlood RV in Cape Girardeau and they're not taking in any new repairs for at least 3 weeks because of Covid. I just want to get it started so I can pull it into mom's driveway and hook up to the 30 Amp plug there!
__________________

__________________
SteveCampsOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 12:18 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
Posts: 575
THOR #3471
Will the starter turn the engine
__________________

__________________
Hugh.vines@att.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 01:34 AM   #3
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Missouri
Posts: 18
THOR #16898
Exclamation

Nope! No electric getting to the dashboard or engine at all.
__________________
SteveCampsOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 01:35 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
Posts: 575
THOR #3471
Have you tried to jump start
__________________
Hugh.vines@att.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 01:37 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
Posts: 575
THOR #3471
Check the relay coming off the battery
__________________
Hugh.vines@att.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 01:37 AM   #6
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Missouri
Posts: 18
THOR #16898
Exclamation

That was the first thing we tried! The police officer had a starter that would start up to a full Semi, it said the battery was charged just fine.
__________________
SteveCampsOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 01:37 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Missouri
Posts: 18
THOR #16898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh.vines@att.net View Post
Check the relay coming off the battery

I have no idea where that is or what it looks like.
__________________
SteveCampsOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 01:38 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
Posts: 575
THOR #3471
If yellow or orange flag is showing reset it
__________________
Hugh.vines@att.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 01:44 AM   #9
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Missouri
Posts: 18
THOR #16898
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh.vines@att.net View Post
If yellow or orange flag is showing reset it



Well I won't be able to go out to check tonight we're having thunderstorms and tornado warnings here at moms. I'm assuming you're talking about the fuse box on the driver's side of the queen bed.
__________________
SteveCampsOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 02:02 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
Posts: 575
THOR #3471
No there is a breaker in front of the battery with a red wire coming off the battery about 10 inches from battery
__________________
Hugh.vines@att.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 02:11 AM   #11
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Missouri
Posts: 18
THOR #16898
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh.vines@att.net View Post
No there is a breaker in front of the battery with a red wire coming off the battery about 10 inches from battery

I'll have to check for it tomorrow. Too dark and rainy for now. Thanks for the tips. At least it's something I can look for/at myself I hope.
__________________
SteveCampsOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 02:13 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
Posts: 2,252
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCampsOut View Post
So Drove my Thor Hurricane Class A from Tyler Texas to Charleston Missouri this week and it died upon entering Charleston! No Electric to the engine. Battery was checked and had a full 14 volts charge to it so is it a fuse? An Alternator? Mechanically non-inclined. Any tips would be appreciated. I was able to get it towed the last 5 blocks to behind mom's house where it sits now. Closest RV Repair shop is YoungBlood RV in Cape Girardeau and they're not taking in any new repairs for at least 3 weeks because of Covid. I just want to get it started so I can pull it into mom's driveway and hook up to the 30 Amp plug there!
There used to be a mobile RV Tech out of Sikeston. Jerry James Trailers can probably give you his number.
__________________
Jim & Roy Davis
2016 Hurricane 31S
1961 Rampside in tow
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 02:24 AM   #13
Site Team
 
EA37TS's Avatar
 
Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: Virginia
Posts: 4,739
THOR #1469
Check you main ground cable off the battery. A bad ground and ou get nothing.
__________________
Dave
US Army (Ret)
2020 Entegra Accolade 37TS
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 03:45 AM   #14
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Missouri
Posts: 18
THOR #16898
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
There used to be a mobile RV Tech out of Sikeston. Jerry James Trailers can probably give you his number.



Google says Jerry James Trailers is permanently closed.
__________________
SteveCampsOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 03:52 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Judge's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
Posts: 1,395
THOR #12751
Dave is right on the money!

A loose or bad ground can take out the power like you are experiencing. Check the negative cable (black) off the chassis battery and follow it to wherever it terminates to ground.

Make sure the connection points are clean and tight on both ends of that cable. While you are in there do the same with the positive cable if you have access to it on both ends.

There is an easy test you can first do to check for a bad ground.

- Get a set of jumper cables

- Take one end the black cable and connect it firmly to thee negative battery post

- Take the other end of the black table and find a solid and clean piece of chassis metal or a good solid metal point on the engine block

- See if you have power


This will basically create a new / temporary ground and can verify if that is your problem.
__________________
Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 05:17 PM   #16
Site Team
 
16ACE27's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
Posts: 5,182
THOR #7035
There have been issues with the connector below the steering wheel for the column electronics becoming loose/intermittent. Check that - it would cause the symptoms you are seeing.
__________________
Ted & Melinda
2016 ACE 27.1
2016 Chevy Sonic Toad
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Alternate Toad
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 11:36 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
OldWEB's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: England
Posts: 273
THOR #16471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Dave is right on the money!

A loose or bad ground can take out the power like you are experiencing. Check the negative cable (black) off the chassis battery and follow it to wherever it terminates to ground.

Make sure the connection points are clean and tight on both ends of that cable. While you are in there do the same with the positive cable if you have access to it on both ends.

There is an easy test you can first do to check for a bad ground.

- Get a set of jumper cables

- Take one end the black cable and connect it firmly to thee negative battery post

- Take the other end of the black table and find a solid and clean piece of chassis metal or a good solid metal point on the engine block

- See if you have power


This will basically create a new / temporary ground and can verify if that is your problem.
If a person is following the proper procedure to boost a battery, then it would prove if the dead vehicle has a bad ground connection already.

As the last connection made is the black jumper to a good grounded part on the dead vehicle. This is to ensure any spark created from the connection is far away from the dead (possibly gaseous) battery.
__________________
OldWEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 12:00 AM   #18
Site Team
 
EA37TS's Avatar
 
Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: Virginia
Posts: 4,739
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWEB View Post
If a person is following the proper procedure to boost a battery, then it would prove if the dead vehicle has a bad ground connection already.

As the last connection made is the black jumper to a good grounded part on the dead vehicle. This is to ensure any spark created from the connection is far away from the dead (possibly gaseous) battery.
95 percent of the time the negative cable will be connected to the negative post of the battery, be it right or be it wrong.
__________________
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 04:53 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
OldWEB's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: England
Posts: 273
THOR #16471
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
95 percent of the time the negative cable will be connected to the negative post of the battery, be it right or be it wrong.
?????
__________________
OldWEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 04:07 PM   #20
Member
 
THOR TEAM's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Indiana
Posts: 37
THOR #1198
Hello! Should you require more assistance please contact us at 877-855-2867 and one of our Customer Service specialists will be able to assist you. We are open until 5:00 pm (ET). You could also email us at TMCTeam@tmcrv.com or LIVE Chat with us from the Owners tab at www.thormotorcoach.com. We will need your VIN.
Please keep in mind we are working with a limited team due to COVID19 which may cause some longer hold times and delayed responses.
__________________

__________________
THOR TEAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
electric problem, engine, repairs

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×